Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Outdoor water fountains (the lack thereof)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Outdoor water fountains (the lack thereof)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 03:00 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Oh yeah? Try finding a phone booth.
I know where there's a pay phone in northern Tasmania.
Old 07-24-19, 11:09 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Yep, and it's particularly annoying to me. Live in a rural area and about 2 years ago a park commision was forced on us and we started being taxed for several parks in the valley. Now when I had kids in sports our fees took care of the parks. Once my kids grew up I did not use the parks at all but now have to pay for them. I did realize about two years ago that I could use them for refilling waterbottles at least on my long rides. Then last year one park removed the water fountain. This year another was had it's fountain turned off all year. So annoying in my book and I'm still angry about being taxed to subsidize others recreation.
I'd hate to be the on to tell you how schools and roads work in this country...

Regarding tap water - I'll drink it in my state, rarely, but only because I generally know where it's coming from. Most of the time I drink water filtered using a Doulton ceramic filter. With PFAS, pesticides, and prescription medication making it into the water supply, my household just sees it as an extra precaution against all the crap that we get exposed to through food and drink.
https://www.ewg.org/release/mapping-...ites-43-states

Generally, when I go out on rides I plan on being 100% self-sufficient barring extreme circumstances, meaning I carry snacks/food, water, repair kit/tools and a small first-aid kit, and I don't have a dependency on or an expectation to use water fountains or convenience stores.
Old 07-24-19, 02:13 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
I'd hate to be the on to tell you how schools and roads work in this country...

Completely different and yeah I know. So funny how people only picked up on taxed part of the issue not the new tax vs decreased services that I put out there. Guess I don't express myself well.

Now give me some damn free water!
Old 07-24-19, 03:51 PM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Except services aren't being decreased. They've just shifted away from something you used (so good tax) to something you don't (bad bad tax). We got NIMBYs here too haha.
Old 07-25-19, 05:46 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by CyclingFever
Except services aren't being decreased. They've just shifted away from something you used (so good tax) to something you don't (bad bad tax). We got NIMBYs here too haha.

This is what keeps the internet so entertaining. Strangers telling others what's going on in the others' neighborhoods without even having a real clue. Do you live here? Do you ride past these parks repeatedly each day, do you attend the park committee meetings, do you attend the community planning committee meetings, do you sit on the community general plan advisory committee, do you even know where I'm talking about? If the answer is no then go play with someone else.

But thanks for the good laughs and entertainment.
Old 07-25-19, 08:11 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

I am just going off of what you have said. Water fountains out, playgrounds in.
Old 07-25-19, 09:58 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12762 Post(s)
Liked 7,675 Times in 4,072 Posts
Makes sense to me. If you put a playground in where drinking fountains exist, what are you gonna get?

Well hydrated kids.

Once you get a buncha well hydrated kids in a park then you're gonna need some restrooms.
Old 07-25-19, 10:14 AM
jamesdak 

???? Maybe go back and read it again. Not at all what I said.

Wait....nevermind. I'm arguing for no reason. Moving on, life's to short for the games.
Old 07-25-19, 10:50 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Sounds good.
Old 07-25-19, 10:51 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Throwing this out there as a useful resource to cyclists:

This iPhone App shows available drinking fountains on a map. Very handy when you're riding in an unfamiliar area.

It's from wetap.org, a non-profit. From their site:

WeTap improves awareness, access and use of public drinking fountains, reducing dependence on single-use plastic, while improving public health.

Old 07-27-19, 08:55 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I only know of the ones at Public Parks
Old 07-27-19, 10:32 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Wussy millennials afraid of germs...
Homeless use the fountains for body washing, if you know what I mean.
Old 07-27-19, 12:18 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Once you get a buncha well hydrated kids in a park then you're gonna need some restrooms.
Nah. It's the adults who need the restrooms. The kids can figure something out on their own, although the older ones may want bushes....

Now when I had kids in sports our fees took care of the parks.
Probably not. Tax money probably paid for a good deal of the maintenance.

Once my kids grew up I did not use the parks at all but now have to pay for them.
Are you OK paying for schools?

Last edited by philbob57; 07-27-19 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-27-19, 03:17 PM
Froomewannabe

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
For our Wisconsinites on the forum the OP is reffering to "bubblers".

In high school I was at the '90 Nat'l FFA convention in Kansas City when I was asking and looking for a water fountain and I recall some girls trying to figure out why I wanted a big "water fountain".... then they finally realized I was looking for a "bubbler" in their words. My first encountered the word/usage.

Luckily I live in Little Rock and we have a great "Arkansas River Trail" which have several bubblers along it, also have the dog bowl at the bottom. The trail itself is maintained by the city/state, i.e. taxes. Funny how I don't mind my taxes going to help maintain this trail, now that I have started cycling. Five years ago when I never used this trail I would have likely told you that was a waste of "my money".

In addition, last week participated in 100k Wampoo and every year the entry fee proceeds are used for bike friendly stuff along the trail and in the LR area. Last years seem like they added another bike repair station along the trail.

I do think in general there are fewer and fewer people who want to drink from a bubbler. They would rather go into a convenient store or machine and put in a buck and get their bottled water.
Old 07-27-19, 05:41 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by philbob57
Nah. It's the adults who need the restrooms. The kids can figure something out on their own, although the older ones may want bushes....

Probably not. Tax money probably paid for a good deal of the maintenance.

Are you OK paying for schools?
Old 07-27-19, 11:02 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
My problem is low water pressure. Sometimes only a trickle comes out and my bottle will not dip low enough to fill. I wear a camelbac now. Problem solved. 100 ounces.
I'm sorry sir, but this is the road cycling forum
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 07-27-19, 11:06 PM
rebel1916

I still want to see a value for my tax dollars. Not decreased services like I've pointed out repeatedly in this thread. And I don't like being taxed for something that is not even run by elected officials but by appointees. Hmmm....guess I have to go back to the Boston Tea Party days to find someone who get's my point, LOL! .
You have representation.
Old 07-28-19, 07:02 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by rebel1916
You have representation.
Not when we are now taxed for this newly formed local park organization and the park committee over the parks is appointed not elected. How is that representation?
Old 07-28-19, 02:23 PM
rebel1916

Not when we are now taxed for this newly formed local park organization and the park committee over the parks is appointed not elected. How is that representation?
Even if that's the case, elected officials appoint the commission, and pass any tax increases for them.
Old 07-28-19, 04:37 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Yep, I drink tap water. Most of my rides pass through a park, which has public water taps. Other areas I ride through, have country stores, were I purchase a bottle, fill my bottles , and recycle the plastic at the store. KB
Old 07-28-19, 05:16 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by rebel1916
Even if that's the case, elected officials appoint the commission, and pass any tax increases for them.
Which may be challenged in court and abolished. The state allowed something similar with a law they put in place in relation to incorporating new towns. Basically a majority land owner (ski resort) was able to incorporate several hundred homes into a town against the will of all those people and able to appoint their own government. This was challenged in court and overturned. There's discussion going on right now to do the same over this park commission.
Old 07-28-19, 07:29 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I downloaded the WeTap app and sadly there are basically no water taps on any of my routes. I ride past some good size public parks and there are no taps at these. The only water indicated is at golf courses which is worthless for a cyclist. Convenient stores it is!
Old 07-29-19, 11:10 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Tragedy of the commons
Old 07-29-19, 01:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
The only water indicated is at golf courses which is worthless for a cyclist.
A guy in my club sometimes leads a ride in a relatively rural area. A couple of times we used a private golf course as a rest/water/bathroom stop. The place welcomed us. There is a public course not all that far from my house with bathrooms and water.
Old 07-29-19, 05:56 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
riding in so cal, haven’t noticed a lack of working water fountains/taps except in the large confines of the angeles national forest north of la. seems like a majority if not all are turned off on the mondays and tuesdays ive been up there march-november. haven’t noticed the like in the nearby san bernardino or cleveland national forests. plenty of parks, athletic fields still out there with working fountains. have ditched the water bottles except for the long boonies rides so hitting fountains a few times on the longer rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.