Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see some C&V guitars!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see some C&V guitars!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 01:48 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MLKATO
It's bad enough that I drool over some of your bikes,but now I'm drooling over guitars! I had to sell my vintage items years ago,guitars include '72 Fender Jazz bass,82 Gibson Victory bass,'78 Fender Stratocaster hardtail,'87 Kramer Baretta. I have several guitars now,but none considered vintage. I do have several discontued models,like a Takamine EGS-340sc and a Yamaha Apex 5-NA and a Epiphone Pr-350.
Don't feel singled out. I l lusted after Fender Jaguars and Jazzmasters for years. When I finally found one, a 66 Jag in Lake Placid Blue with matching headstock and original case, I was thoroughly unimpressed by it's janky feel and lack of sustain. Ditto for a 76 Tele Custom (the Keith Richards one) with original tweed case, ashtray cover, owners manual. If I'd only waited another 10 or 15 years to sell those

And there were the good ones, like a 76 Tele Deluxe and a 72 Strat, that I should have NEVER sold. I also sold a dead mint 1979 Takamine copy of a Guild under financial duress to pay the rent in my shop. I still get misty thinking about that one.

Hell, sometimes I even miss my old 1980s BC Rich superstrat. Seriously.
Old 07-21-11, 07:08 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Mary had a little lamb whose fleas were white as snow.
And everywhere that Mary went her fleas were sure to go.
Mary had a little lamb, the doctor was surprised.
But when old MacDonald had a farm, that REALLY took the prize!
Old 07-21-11, 07:24 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by glenmaki
The T60s are a very nice and underrated guitar although quite heavy. They put out a wide variety of tones, built like tanks and have good quality parts. ....
+1
I think Peavey's guitars never got their due - they made some good guitars (as well as some excellent amps that were more widely respected by the public.)

I particularly liked the carved top Falcons - It was as if Hartley intended to go toe-to-toe with PRS on those. They were ultimately discontinued though. (I imagine because they were too expensive to make).
You used to be able to pick them up used very inexpensively, but they have a bit of a following now, and are not so cheap anymore.
Old 07-21-11, 08:19 PM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
+1
I think Peavey's guitars never got their due - they made some good guitars (as well as some excellent amps that were more widely respected by the public.)

I particularly liked the carved top Falcons - It was as if Hartley intended to go toe-to-toe with PRS on those. They were ultimately discontinued though. (I imagine because they were too expensive to make).
You used to be able to pick them up used very inexpensively, but they have a bit of a following now, and are not so cheap anymore.
Peavey's tube amps don't get their due either. I absolutely love my Delta Blues. It's not everyone's taste... I'll admit it. Most people aren't going to like an amp with a 15" speaker. I happen to. They make them in 2x10 too. If I could get my hands on one I'd have a Classic 20 too.
Old 07-21-11, 08:21 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Here is the owner's Youtube of one of my recent guitar builds.

https://youtu.be/jGWBqq76Kgw
Old 07-22-11, 07:26 AM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've always said that Peavey makes the most robust/roadworthy/trustworthy mediocre-sounding gear that money can buy. I've owned several Peaveys, solid-state and tube. They've never really impressed me with their sound, but with enough twiddling I can make it workable and I swear by their durability. There's nothing like showing up to a gig and having your amp fail you. Peavey has never done that to me, but others have.

Currently I'm running a Peavey Bandit 112 w/Sheffield speaker as 1/2 of my rig with a tube 1/2 stack on the other side. The trans-tube technology of the peavey is a bit on the crisp side for my liking... bordering on the nails-on-chalkboard sound of digital distortion, but the highs cut through and my tube 1/2 stack rounds out the bottom. Combined they give a nice full-fat sound that isn't short on presence. I expect the tube amp to fail me long before the bandit will.
Old 07-22-11, 08:34 AM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPolishJimmy
I've always said that Peavey makes the most robust/roadworthy/trustworthy mediocre-sounding gear that money can buy.
I finally sold my one-owner Peavey Bandit 65, circa 1985, this spring. It had been tortured over the years in various college band rehearsal spaces by many people and stored in basements and other dreadful places long afterward. When I plugged in, it fired up and did its job right on cue. Although the tolex was filthy and a couple of the pots were dirty, that amp sounded just as it did back in the mid 80s. A good cleaning and flushing of the pots with contact cleaner had it back in gigging shape, and it quickly sold to a buyer eager to back up his original Bandit 65, still his main gigging amp after all these years. I almost didn't sell it because the original American-made Accutronics spring reverb tank still sounded so sweet. Luckily, I inherited a similar era Backstage 30 from my Grandfather, so I'm all set in the Peavey department.
Old 07-22-11, 09:19 AM
glenmaki

Bikes: Giant reign II, !985 specialived Allez, Fisher Mt Tam steel frame, Pre 1960 Norman Invader, 1982 Nishiki Olympic 12 and few others.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peavey makes solid stuff for sure. I have 1 peavey amp, a solid state Musician from the 70s, gets used as a keyboard amp or guitar amp when someone wants to join the jam. The main amps are a Fender Twin, Fender Hotrod Deville and my brother in laws VHT rackmount with 2 Marshall 4x12 cabs. We just jam in the garage and have open jams a few times a year with anyone who wants to play, sing or listen.
Old 07-22-11, 09:43 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Peavey's reputation for sound reinforcement varies wth the genre - some love it, some think it merely okay. I've got a monitor amp w/built-in EQ that I bought used decades ago and have used ever since. It's a block of granite, solid, always works, has never let us down, sounds good. We have even used it as our house amp when the situation was right. It's hard to beat a track record like that.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion of C&V bikes, I mean guitars.
Old 07-22-11, 09:53 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
[QUOTE=RobE30;12723822

My drums, mishmash of mid 60's Gretsch and Rogers accented w/ vintage Zildjan cymbals. My neighbors hate me[/QUOTE]

UH-oh! Now you've done it: you've broken the thread and shown DRUMS.
Now I have an excuse (and the old Gretsch and Rogers Swiv-o-matic stuff you have there is great)
I'll try to keep it to only snares...
Quite a number of well-known framebuilders are also drummers and (guess what) collectors of vintage snares and kits. I won't name names but they have already gone public.
Old 07-22-11, 10:04 AM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a slingerland snare... '65 I think, I'll have to check the date. I love it, but it's not a radio king, still the price was right.
Old 07-22-11, 12:23 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPolishJimmy
I have a slingerland snare... '65 I think, I'll have to check the date. I love it, but it's not a radio king, still the price was right.
I confess I've never been a Slingerland fan...I think it's a bit like the Schwinn worship in our C&V world: you either believe that a Paramount is the ultimate or you don't. And I don't.
The one example of a Radio King I actually played was not a good specimen (single ply shells are tricky, and this one was about as refined as a nail keg) and so it was very underwhelming. Since I couldn't afford one anyway, I never got the bug...I've found plenty of other snares to spend too much money on.
Now the bad news (or is it?): I had a folder full of pics taken for insurance purposes and that entire thing is gone, Jackie, gone. I must have lost it all in one of my hard-drive crashes.
So now I have zero drum pics to clog up the bandwidth (until I take new shots again...stand by )
Old 07-22-11, 12:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mandolin guy myself .. have several , last purchase .. the sole carbon fiber acquisition.

My Slingerland is a banjo Uke..
Old 07-22-11, 01:13 PM
auchencrow

What is all this jabber about with no pics ? ?
Old 07-22-11, 02:38 PM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just got back from dropping off a couple of guitars at the luthier's for some set up and wireing tweaking. He recently had a fire and there are some really sad vintage Les Pauls and nice acoustics awaiting insurance dispositions.

I may have nightmares for days about their poor charred and twisted bodies all lined up, a mere insurance check from the dumpster.
Old 07-22-11, 07:23 PM
ozneddy

Bikes: Casati, ,Peugot,Mitchell,Raliegh,Nishiki

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok,I been trying not to do this ,but,here,s a pic of mine ,(actually aint mine but is excactly the same one,is just that I dont have a pic of mine yet,anyway you cant tell em apart) mine is in the shop getting new strings and being tweeked ! [IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-22-11, 07:26 PM
ozneddy

Bikes: Casati, ,Peugot,Mitchell,Raliegh,Nishiki

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ooops sorry, for those who dont know, its a Epiphone "Les Paul signature" Florentine !
Old 07-22-11, 07:30 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,491 Posts
I am not sure I can actually post this here but.... are you Gentlemen aware there is a program called Guitars for Vets? they are teaching Vets music and playing the guitar as a way to deal with PTSD and other issues. I got some information on it somewhere, I'll have to look for it. it sounds like a great program but despite all the junk I have around here there are no guitars . guess I need to head for the pawn shop one day.

AH HA!! here is the link https://guitars4vets.org/

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-22-11, 08:28 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I am not sure I can actually post this here but.... are you Gentlemen aware there is a program called Guitars for Vets? they are teaching Vets music and playing the guitar as a way to deal with PTSD and other issues. I got some information on it somewhere, I'll have to look for it. it sounds like a great program but despite all the junk I have around here there are no guitars . guess I need to head for the pawn shop one day.

AH HA!! here is the link https://guitars4vets.org/
That is a very worthwhile cause, BG - Thanks for posting.

I'll bet a lot of those vets (just kids many of them), would be so happy to have a guitar lesson to "wood-shed" on each week, and it would not take a lot for some of us to help out. Lord knows THEY gave a lot.
Old 07-22-11, 08:56 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
How about some more splat?

This one gets loud.

With this one on top it was even louder. You don't see many of these.

Old 07-22-11, 09:32 PM
auchencrow

THAT's some real heavy duty splat Justin !
- A lovely Rick, Ep, and Paul - The EV - and those JBL's could really kick it out - they weighed a TON though. (No wonder you have casters on your road cases.)
Old 07-22-11, 09:36 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Road cases are my favorite piece of equipment. Seriously.
Old 07-22-11, 11:44 PM
glenmaki

Bikes: Giant reign II, !985 specialived Allez, Fisher Mt Tam steel frame, Pre 1960 Norman Invader, 1982 Nishiki Olympic 12 and few others.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! some nice stuff, holy Bigsby batman!
Old 07-23-11, 06:54 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Road cases are my favorite piece of equipment. Seriously.
I've never toured enough to justify the weight and difficulty of loading vs. the added protection. Then again, that's why all my amps have dings, biffs, dents and cracked/broken corner protectors. Oddly enough- my Marshall has a shortened power cord because of a road case lid being closed on it-

Since this is expanding into amps...

Here's the 1978 Marshall- it was the 5th Marshall I traded around- and when I found it- it was "right." That was around Spring of 1993 and it's still my main gigging amp. Then there's the 1981 Park- pretty much the same amp as the Marshall- it's a bit more touchy- maybe because it's been "worked on" but it does that "EL-34" thing pretty good. One of the very last Parks.

This is the cab- a 1976 or 77 (I don't remember which) with Blackbacks that I got from my uncle in 1987- it was funny seeing this behemoth cab in my dinky barracks room when I was in the Army...

This little guy is a 1962 Gibson Falcon- a 6V6 beast. Since it's at the practice studio- it's probably my most played amp these days.

And if we're including bass amps- I like to call this picture "1900 Watts Of Fun."

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-23-11, 07:32 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Since this is expanding into amps...
Here is a picture of my amp. Oops, I mean both of them, uh, all three or four. Or maybe six. I lost count.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.