Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Latest find! Schwinn World Voyageur!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Latest find! Schwinn World Voyageur!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 06:54 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
That would be really odd as best of my knowledge Schwinn never used Suntour dropouts or components, Schwinn made, Huret, Campy and Shimano but never Suntour.
Old 09-09-13, 07:06 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
I was thinking how odd it was too, but but it seems at least a few people have a 1973 Schwinn WVs with SunTour dropouts. I don't know, maybe they're just mistaken.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 09-09-13, 07:14 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes
This guy claims that his 73 WV has Suntour dropsouts...
I'm sure it does. You might have missed this:

Originally Posted by Metacortex
...Earlier ones ('72 frame/fork build dates) used SunTour dropouts/fork ends, while later ones ('73+ build dates) used Shimano. Note also that the frame dropouts and fork ends won't necessarily match on a given bike since the frames and forks were produced independently and often at greatly separate times. For example I have an original '73 WV that has an Oct. '73 frame (Shimano dropouts) and an Aug. '72 fork (SunTour ends).
Old 09-09-13, 07:14 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
That would be really odd as best of my knowledge Schwinn never used Suntour dropouts or components, Schwinn made, Huret, Campy and Shimano but never Suntour.
I can confirm that mine has Suntour branded dropouts and fork ends, the barcons are also Suntour (but rebranded as "Schwinn Approved"), and the brakes and stem are by Dia Compe who were part of the Suntour arrangement. Only the drivetrain and hubs are Shimano components.

The bike in question:
Old 09-09-13, 07:20 PM
Metacortex

Originally Posted by zukahn1
That would be really odd as best of my knowledge Schwinn never used Suntour dropouts or components...
Not odd at all considering these bikes were made by Panasonic.
Old 09-09-13, 07:22 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

I'm sure it does. You might have missed this:
No, I didn't miss it, I'm talking about a 73 Schwinn WV with rear SunTour dropouts AND front SunTour fork ends.... ya know what? **** all that bull****! Really? as long as its a 1973 Schwinn WV I'd like to see it as it is truly THE FIRST Schwinn made in Japan by Panasonic, who were/are without a doubt THE BEST bike builders in Japan!
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 09-09-13 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-09-13, 07:27 PM
jjhabbs 

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts
just found..plus had the orange one for 20 years

Old 09-09-13, 07:29 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

OMG! Sexy beast both!
Old 09-09-13, 08:58 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Ok Im wrong Schwinn used Suntour for Severals years during the 70's.

Last edited by zukahn1; 09-09-13 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-09-13, 09:07 PM
Metacortex

...as long as its a 1973 Schwinn WV I'd like to see it as it is truly THE FIRST Schwinn made in Japan by Panasonic
Note that Panasonic also made the lower-end World Traveler for Schwinn at the same time as the World Voyageur. Thus if you wanted to be accurate you would say that the World Voyageur was "one of the first two" bikes made in Japan by Panasonic and imported for Schwinn. Production for both of those bikes started in '72 even though they were considered '73 models.
Old 09-09-13, 09:52 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Note that Panasonic also made the lower-end World Traveler for Schwinn at the same time as the World Voyageur. Thus if you wanted to be accurate you would say that the World Voyageur was "one of the first two" bikes made in Japan by Panasonic and imported for Schwinn. Production for both of those bikes started in '72 even though they were considered '73 models.
I stand corrected. I'll go ahead and say this: Apparently Panasonic also made a lower end "World Traveler" for Schwinn at the same time as the World Voyageur. (which still is the higher end of the two) I think the Schwinn Paramount was the only bike that year that was higher up in the Schwinn hierarchy. (why did I go there!) To be accurate I'll say the World Voyageur was "one of the first two" bikes made in Japan by Panasonic and imported for Schwinn. (there...Wooo!) As mentioned by Metacortex the production for both of those bikes started in '72 even though they were considered '73 models. (just like cars) This being said the World Voyageur still is the sought after model of 1973, besides the Paramount of course. (why did I go there again!) but please, anyone that's after the built by Panasonic for Schwinn in 72 even though they were considered '73 models World Traveler please feel free to visit barns and basements in your area.

and now I'll say this again...ya know what? **** all that bull****! Really, as long as its a 1973 Schwinn WV I'd like to see it as it is truly (along with the lower end World Traveler) THE FIRST Schwinns made in Japan by Panasonic, who were/are without a doubt THE BEST bike builders in Japan! So please keep 'em coming! (pics of the 1973 WV that is)

Last edited by ilikebikes; 09-09-13 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-10-13, 05:47 AM
nikkorod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you get enough free research for your CL ad yet?

I stand corrected. I'll go ahead and say this: Apparently Panasonic also made a lower end "World Traveler" for Schwinn at the same time as the World Voyageur. (which still is the higher end of the two) I think the Schwinn Paramount was the only bike that year that was higher up in the Schwinn hierarchy. (why did I go there!) To be accurate I'll say the World Voyageur was "one of the first two" bikes made in Japan by Panasonic and imported for Schwinn. (there...Wooo!) As mentioned by Metacortex the production for both of those bikes started in '72 even though they were considered '73 models. (just like cars) This being said the World Voyageur still is the sought after model of 1973, besides the Paramount of course. (why did I go there again!) but please, anyone that's after the built by Panasonic for Schwinn in 72 even though they were considered '73 models World Traveler please feel free to visit barns and basements in your area.

and now I'll say this again...ya know what? **** all that bull****! Really, as long as its a 1973 Schwinn WV I'd like to see it as it is truly (along with the lower end World Traveler) THE FIRST Schwinns made in Japan by Panasonic, who were/are without a doubt THE BEST bike builders in Japan! So please keep 'em coming! (pics of the 1973 WV that is)
Old 09-10-13, 05:53 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Old 09-10-13, 08:08 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Technically it was a 4-year bike, it continued to be sold though '76 as the Voyageur II. The VII was the same bike as the WV except for different colors, decals and a 25" frame was available. And of course a much higher price.
No. Technically, the World Voyageur was a 1973 model year only bike. We all know about the Voyageur II. The similarities do not make it a World Voyageur, technically.
Old 09-10-13, 09:51 AM
Metacortex

Agreed! "Technically" was the wrong term, I should have used "essentially" instead. After the '73 World bikes experiment proved successful, by changing the name from the World Voyageur to the "Schwinn Approved" Voyageur II, Schwinn was able to continue selling essentially the same bike at a higher price point from '74 through '76 alongside the then-new (and lower priced) Panasonic made Le Tour.
Old 09-10-13, 10:03 AM
Noah Scape
can't member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Here's mine with a 700c wheelset. $20 if you can find another 25" one.
How's this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Schwinn...item20d7429fe8
Old 09-10-13, 10:24 AM
Metacortex

Originally Posted by Noah Scape
That is a '74 Voyageur II. While it is essentially the same bike as the '73 World Voyageur, technically it has a different name, paintjob and decals. If you repainted it and changed the decals you'd have a winner. <g>
Old 09-10-13, 10:31 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Right. But, it wouldn't be original. Somehow, I have the only 25" World Voyageur anyone has ever seen. I bought it from the son of the original owner, who I believe worked for Schwinn. So, my assumption is he wanted the paint and decals of the WV and they made him one from a blank, 25" Voyageur II frame.
Old 09-10-13, 11:21 AM
Metacortex

I think you are right about your 25" bike possibly starting as a factory ordered frame. I have a couple of '70s Schwinn dealer parts catalogs and the WV and VII frames have the same part number for a given size and can be ordered with different colors and I assume decals since it states "specify color and model when ordering". The '74 catalog even lists Sunset Orange as an available color on those specific frames and forks even though the lighter Kool Orange was the only orange used on the WV. Your 25" model does look like the darker Sunset Orange to me, and this would seem to explain that possibility.

When looking through these catalogs on one hand I'm surprised that we don't see more semi-custom bikes originally built up from then-new frames. On the other hand I'm guessing that's because it simply wasn't economical to do so. None of the catalogs I have included price lists, but I'd bet that the cost of ordering a factory painted frame and fork alone was close to the cost of a complete bike.
Old 09-10-13, 12:17 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Correct. My bike does not have the same hue as the other World Voyageurs I've seen.
Old 09-10-13, 12:49 PM
Noah Scape
can't member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Right. But, it wouldn't be original. Somehow, I have the only 25" World Voyageur anyone has ever seen. I bought it from the son of the original owner, who I believe worked for Schwinn. So, my assumption is he wanted the paint and decals of the WV and they made him one from a blank, 25" Voyageur II frame.
Guess I wasn't really tuned into the details on this thread.
Old 10-05-14, 10:44 PM
gingi310

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colonel: You didn't put an expiration date on the offer, so here you go: Chrome Schwinn road bicycle

You sending cash-in-mail or what? No personal checks. please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
01616_l2T6qBDVokZ_600x450.jpg (26.5 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by gingi310; 10-05-14 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 12:12 AM
Metacortex

His money is safe. The bike in that appears to be a 1980-'81 Voyageur 11.8 in full chrome.
Old 10-12-14, 08:39 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

His money is safe. The bike in that appears to be a 1980-'81 Voyageur 11.8 in full chrome.
True. And I have one of those. Great bike! Mine is now serving single speed duty.

Untitled by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 10-12-14 at 08:46 AM.