Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can an LBS return a bike to a distributer if wrong size ordered

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Can an LBS return a bike to a distributer if wrong size ordered

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 07:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
The whole conversation is troubling. How is getting a size into the store of a brand that the LBS is an authorized dealer for, that they don't have, somehow being labelled as a "special order"? It's like a shoe store have size 9s and 11s but out of 10s. People extol the reasons to shop at an LBS, but it seems it's much easier to return/reject a bike purchased online than 'special ordered' thru an LBS?
Old 05-28-16, 07:23 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
A good shop will make it right for you whether the distributor takes it back or not. Especially if THEY are the ones who recommended that size to you!!
I hope you found a good shop.
This.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-28-16, 08:53 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The whole conversation is troubling. How is getting a size into the store of a brand that the LBS is an authorized dealer for, that they don't have, somehow being labelled as a "special order"? It's like a shoe store have size 9s and 11s but out of 10s. People extol the reasons to shop at an LBS, but it seems it's much easier to return/reject a bike purchased online than 'special ordered' thru an LBS?
Welcome to LBS business model. My LBS is same way. If they don't have the bike you have to pay in advance and no returns. If I was going to buy from an lbs it would be performance or rei because you can return anything for up to a year for any reason
Old 05-28-16, 08:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Depends ... they just out of your size but its a bike they normally stock

Or You want a Madone(etc) and nobody else in that town is that Rich and it will sit there for years Unsold but admired by Many..

If you dont pay the balance owed.
Old 05-28-16, 09:06 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
IMO, if you need a 75mm stem the bike doesn't fit
^The absolute worst and least informed opinion in this thread.

Person 1: "I bought a pair of dress pants and the tailor had to take in the waist to 28 inches"
Person 2: "OMG! 28 inches is smaller than an arbitrary number that makes me think it fits properly!"
BS. If the OP finds it comfortable then it fits.
Old 05-28-16, 09:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Welcome to LBS business model. My LBS is same way. If they don't have the bike you have to pay in advance and no returns. If I was going to buy from an lbs it would be performance or rei because you can return anything for up to a year for any reason
It's not actually the LBS I'm disappointed in. I think it's more the Manufacturer/Distributor that's causing this situation.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Depends ... they just out of your size but its a bike they normally stock

Or You want a Madone(etc) and nobody else in that town is that Rich and it will sit there for years Unsold but admired by Many..

If you dont pay the balance owed.
One of the primary purposes of a Distributorship should be to enable exactly this. If I wanted a Madone, and the Trek dealer was out of my model or size, then the Distributor should facilitate sending it in to the LBS; and, if the customer in the end doesn't like it, the dealer should have X days to return or exchange it with the dealership. Perhaps if it helps, special orders could be marketed with eg. $50 restocking fee to the customer or something that makes sense (to cover shipping back to distributor).
Old 05-28-16, 09:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
All these If's & should haves .. Curious.. how many Bike shops (or small businesses ) have you owned or worked in?

or you just spouting opinions ?

I have eaten restocking fees from Places Like Calhoun in MN when a B&M headlight failed to meet my Needs ..
Sale price on a Shimano-Brompton wheel was the lure .. It crapped out in 2 years .

My example : USCG Helicopter mechanic, worked part time in the LBS to feed his Bike Buying addiction.. wanted a Madone.

so went to Portland where the Big Bucks Bike Shops stocked them, test rode one there , Came back to this little town,
(with Fishermen to need the Rescuing from the Ocean By the Coasties )

And the Local shop ordered if for him.. cost per pound of those is ridiculous.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-28-16 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-28-16, 09:30 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier

Person 1: "I bought a pair of dress pants and the tailor had to take in the waist to 28 inches"
Person 2: "OMG! 28 inches is smaller than an arbitrary number that makes me think it fits properly!"
Generaly accepted opinion is that a stem shorter tham 80 mm will start making the bike twitchy. He could get essentially the same fit with a M frame with a 90mm stem. Personally I find a 110-120mm stem is the sweet spot for handling. I realize it's an opinion not a hard rule but trust me, it's an "informed opinion"
Old 05-28-16, 09:34 AM
MCODave
A treat for the freaks!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This whole thread makes me glad I bought my latest bike online.
Old 05-28-16, 12:34 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Generaly accepted opinion is that a stem shorter tham 80 mm will start making the bike twitchy. He could get essentially the same fit with a M frame with a 90mm stem. Personally I find a 110-120mm stem is the sweet spot for handling. I realize it's an opinion not a hard rule but trust me, it's an "informed opinion"

Nonsense. If the OP is comfortable, then you have been misinformed.
Old 05-28-16, 01:55 PM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sometimes, generalities hurt... other times... well... you see those people riding road bike with 20 degree riser 50mm stem? With wide very padded seats? Sitting almost upright? I've seen few. They say it is comfy for them... well...
I am glad that OP is comfy because situation he is in... if he isn't.. this would really suck. Personally though, I will never shop at LBS that proposes such an idea.
Old 05-28-16, 02:00 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
The big LBS here takes a 100% deposit to order a bike, but it's 100% refundable for any reason, even if you just change your mind. They keep the bike and put it out on the floor to sell. A smaller shop may not be able to do that.
Old 05-28-16, 02:02 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by bored117
Sometimes, generalities hurt... other times... well... you see those people riding road bike with 20 degree riser 50mm stem? With wide very padded seats? Sitting almost upright? I've seen few. They say it is comfy for them... well...
I am glad that OP is comfy because situation he is in... if he isn't.. this would really suck. Personally though, I will never shop at LBS that proposes such an idea.
In my previous career I dealt with many many of the 50mm stem road bikers, and I can confirm that many do as much mileage with a similar number of complaints as many of those with 'correct' stem lengths. Bike manufacturers try to make their bikes fit the largest cross section of the population, so there are compromises. If person x has different body proportions than person y, or different flexibility or comfort requirements, then person x's bike should be set up differently based person x's specific needs, not based on what fits person y. Making the bars 1 inch closer to the saddle does not somehow suddenly make the bike unridable or make the rider 'less' of a cyclist. The fit of a bike is of utmost importance, but the different between a L and M/L size in the same model of bike is unlikely to make it unridable for someone.
Old 05-28-16, 02:51 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
You need to find another LBS because that's not the way most work. The largest one I go to has pretty much most sizes of every bike in stock they sell. If they don't they get it quickly. About the only exceptions are some Wiliers and Pinarellos. Another doesn't stock that much but will get it if a customer ensures them they plan on buying. There's no deposit needed.
Old 05-28-16, 06:38 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Glad t5hat it seems to be working out for the OP, but that bike shop is an abomination. A 5'9" rider on a 56cm with a 75mm stem....there's just no reason for that. Either the guy at the LBS effed-up, or maybe he somehow able to get a good deal on a 56, so took advantage of the situation figuring he could "make it work"- but it's just wrong.

Didn't OP mention that he has a 28" inseam? The seat on that bike is going to have to be awfully low, and will limit his possibilities draastically as his experience progresses and he decides that he wants a more aggressive position.

I'm 5'10"/31" inseam, and won't ride anything bigger than a 54- and some 54's are too big for me!

The idea is supposed to be that you pay more at an LBS, but get the benefit of their expertise, and test-rides, and fittings, etc. But all too often from what I'm seeing, these things are largely out the window lately- the shops just want to charge you retail, but offer little if anything over what you get by buying online. In-fact, in cases like this where people are given bad advice, you actually get LESS than if you did your own research and ordered online.

Now I remember why I haven't set foot in an LBS in over 25 years....
Old 05-28-16, 07:07 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

Oh really? Do you have much experience with frame building, or bike fitting?
Old 05-28-16, 07:26 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Maybe the thread with the most piss poor information ever in BF history.
Old 05-28-16, 08:29 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
The key word is opinion
Old 05-29-16, 04:09 AM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Glad that it seems to be working out for the OP +1.Enjoy your new Giant Defy,very nice ride.Someday I plan to test ride one,not sure if I can afford A new one,but maybe used.I have A 2004 TCR that I rode for many years and still in one piece.

I agree with the other poster(s) that the bike should be
100% refundable or close to full price within A reasonable amount of time.
After A few long rides,some hills..etc.But I could see this as A problem A smaller LBS.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 05-29-16 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-29-16, 07:59 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Oh really? Do you have much experience with frame building, or bike fitting?

Bike fitting was my bread and butter for the last ~10 years of my previous career. I didn't build the frames, but I specified the geometry when we were having custom builds done.
Old 05-29-16, 08:01 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

The key word is opinion

Your statement that it is a 'generally accepted' opinion was incorrect.
Old 05-29-16, 08:39 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Bike fitting was my bread and butter for the last ~10 years of my previous career. I didn't build the frames, but I specified the geometry when we were having custom builds done.
If this is true, you should know that slapping on a drastically smaller stem is not the best way to go. I doubt you would specify a 75mm stem on a frame built for a 5'9"
rider.
Old 05-29-16, 09:07 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
The idea is supposed to be that you pay more at an LBS, but get the benefit of their expertise, and test-rides, and fittings, etc.
He got all of those.
Old 05-29-16, 09:18 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by noodle soup
If this is true, you should know that slapping on a drastically smaller stem is not the best way to go. I doubt you would specify a 75mm stem on a frame built for a 5'9"
rider.
If that is what a rider wants or needs (based on body dimensions or flexibility or preferences) then that is what they would get. What do you suggest are the downsides to this strategy?
Old 05-29-16, 09:52 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
He got all of those.
No he didn't. He had to pay in advance for a bike which he didn't get to test-ride first, and ended up with a bike that *may work* (for now) but which is not properly sized (No fitment method in the world would specify a 56cm frame for a 5'9" rider with a 28" inseam); and which will drastically limit his riding position choices in the future. That is NOT expert service. That is "Here, Joe, over at the distributor has one of these left, but it's a 56. I can make it work for the guy- just slap a ludicrously short stem on it, and tell him a cup is a normal cycling apparel accessory!").

Soon as the dude said "100% deposit" I would have been out the door. If they require 100%, it means "We can't return it; we don't want to try and re-sell it". Want to order a bike that you can't try first, and can't return? Might as well order online and at least save a few hundred bucks. (And even half of them you can return!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.