Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

cheap rim tape substitute

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

cheap rim tape substitute

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 05:19 PM
Dsprok

Bikes: Hybrid and Folding

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
How much cheaper is it than a good rim strip? Add the price of 1 tube. How's it look now?
and this.

Don't ask how I know that.
Old 11-30-15, 05:29 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by ArSa69
I can't find rim tape anywhere in this piece of **** city I live in, Veracruz, Mexico...

One rim strip is worth 105 pesos and I would need 2, I make 100 pesos as income. now, I'm not complaining but the internet is available world wide...but I'm guessing only "americans" use this forums right? So who cares?
Mano, take a breath. You're pissed off about an 8-year old post... and the guy who wrote it hasn't been on this forum in almost 8 years as well. I hope you found some useful information in this old discussion topic; you certainly have a valid reason to look for a cheap substitute.
Old 11-30-15, 05:34 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Never had a tube problem because of my hockey tape.. a lot of other causes but not that.
Old 11-30-15, 05:42 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Velo plugs...
Old 11-30-15, 05:47 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the alternative of using an old tube. Many cheap bikes I see, the rubber rim strip seems equivalent to inner tube anyways. You would probably want a tube from a wheel at least 1 size smaller so it would be snug. Use scissors or a razor to cut a strip all the way around, the desired width, maybe a little wider for an inch or so and then use a razor to carefully cut a hole for the valve.

Note for ghetto tubeless systems one of the common methods is to mount a too-small tube onto a rib, slice the top/outside of it all the way around, and splay it around the rim, then mount the tire, inflate with sealant, and trim off the excess.
Old 11-30-15, 10:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Last time I tore a rim strip and couldn't get a spare immediately I just repaired the damaged strip with white duct tape. Worked fine for a couple of weeks of riding before I replaced it with a new rim strip.

I like white duct tape for makeshift and temporary stuff because it sticks as well as gray duct tape but peels off much more cleanly and doesn't leave nearly as big a mess of gummy adhesive residue behind. It's cheap and readily available. Handy around the house for protecting white wall corners from being dinged by bikes, wheelchairs, cats, etc. Probably strong enough to temporarily patch a sliced tire to get back home.
Old 12-02-15, 05:10 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the alternative of using an old tube. Many cheap bikes I see, the rubber rim strip seems equivalent to inner tube anyways. You would probably want a tube from a wheel at least 1 size smaller so it would be snug. Use scissors or a razor to cut a strip all the way around, the desired width, maybe a little wider for an inch or so and then use a razor to carefully cut a hole for the valve.
Cheap bikes have single-wall rims so the strip is only preventing abrasion by nipple heads.

Better bikes have double-wall rims so the strip needs to be strong enough to resist tube incursion into the socket holes.
Old 12-02-15, 09:43 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by soma5
I've used the fiberglass-reinforced strapping tape before, just as an experiment. It works very well if you use several layers, but at that point it's not saving you that much weight as comparted to Velox. I'm tempted to try those plastic plugs, but it's just big enough of a deal to worry about it. I say, if you've got the tape already, sure, go ahead and use it but make sure you get several layers in there. If you haven't bought it yet, just keep using Velox. Reliability is paramount.

-soma5
I used the plugs on a set of 29er wheels a couple of years ago. They were a royal pain to install. I think a shop would probably charge an extra half hour of labor to install them. They are supposed to save weight, but were not worth the hassle at all. They do not go into the holes nicely, jam sideways, have to be levered out and reseated, etc.
Old 12-02-15, 09:58 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Velo plugs...
1 mil Kapton tape (5/8"/16mm for classic rims and 3/4"/19mm for wide) uses less space so tires are easier to mount, weighs less, installs easier, removes easier, allows single spoke/nipple replacement without re-installation, and costs far less than even Velox (under $1 a wheel).

Kinlin XR300s x Continental tires were the tightest combination I encountered over 28 years of riding, as in I needed tools to mount tires and with Velox those tires wouldn't rotate with just the first bead on. Velo plugs fixed that problem but proved insufficient for powder coated Velocity Fusion rims x Continental tires so I looked for the thinnest tape possible until loogi turned me on to 1 mil Kapton which made the difference between hand-installation/removal and cussing at tools for both.

Two wraps total .005". That's half Rox Ultralight at .010", two wraps of Stans at .011", or two wraps of Scotch 898 Filament tape totaling .013". It's a quarter Velox at .020".

It has a weak adhesive which stays put fine but comes off easily without noticeable residue.

You can cut a hole for spoke replacement with an Xacto knife then cover it with two squares when you're done.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-05-15 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 08:22 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I've been using Neubaum's rim tape lately and like it a lot as a (maybe better) substitute for Velox. That said, I don't think either of those products give any more reliability than a few layers of glass reinforced strapping tape. The wheels on one of my bikes still have the strapping tape treatment that I applied in the 1980's. A few years ago I considered new rim tape when I replaced the tires but the strapping tape still looked good so I kept it. Has anyone had a failure with strapping tape?

Cost is immaterial. It's nice to have good rim tape on hand, but if you don't, then take advantage of a multi-use material that performs just as well.
Old 12-05-15, 10:06 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 96 Posts
I also have used threaded strapping tape as a rim strip. It worked fine, but as Retro Grouch said, getting it off the rim was a pain. For that reason alone, I'd stick (ha) with proper rim tape unless I was stuck (another ha).
Old 12-05-15, 10:38 AM
CannedPakes
Bar Ends Forever

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
One layer of electrical tape worked well for me. I only did it because I didn't want to wait for rim tape to ship here and didn't feel like going out and finding some.

Just realized how old this thread is too lmao
Old 12-05-15, 02:51 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
I don't suppose I am obligated to defend a trivial claim I made about rim tape in 2008, but here goes.

The strapping tape I was referring to does not have the fiberglass strands more commonly seen. And its sticky glue is different too. the glue holds just fine, but is not a mess to remove at all.

For what it is worth, I have been using this stuff exclusively in the years since then, on flip-bikes and all of my own. It works perfectly. Dare I say, better than real rim tape. Its cheaper, holds better (but without sticky residue), is thiner, and I always have roll of it on hand.

Don't make me come back here in 2023 and duke it out with all of you again.

jim
Old 12-05-15, 06:04 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
I don't suppose I am obligated to defend a trivial claim I made about rim tape in 2008, but here goes.

The strapping tape I was referring to does not have the fiberglass strands more commonly seen. And its sticky glue is different too. the glue holds just fine, but is not a mess to remove at all.

For what it is worth, I have been using this stuff exclusively in the years since then, on flip-bikes and all of my own. It works perfectly. Dare I say, better than real rim tape. Its cheaper, holds better (but without sticky residue), is thiner, and I always have roll of it on hand.

Don't make me come back here in 2023 and duke it out with all of you again.

jim

Old 06-10-16, 03:43 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CannedPakes
One layer of electrical tape worked well for me. I only did it because I didn't want to wait for rim tape to ship here and didn't feel like going out and finding some.
Same here; I forgot about a repair done that way and rode on the tape for over a year before I noticed.

Frankly, I'm tired of giving $4 for a piece of rubber strip barely glued together at the valve-hole overlap when a frickin' properly made tube is only $3.88. They could at least use something with a strong bond for the overlap and reinforce around the valve hole for what they're charging.
Old 06-10-16, 04:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Velo plugs...
I use velo plugs + electrical tape on my OC rims. I wish they would just drill the holes down the center of the rims.
Old 06-10-16, 05:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
One drawback to a lot of improvised rim tapes is how much of a hassle they are to get off if they have been on a few years. Velox tape comes off cleanly after many years and can often be reused allowing you to replace spokes and nipples with no spare tape lying around. On my winter bike, I often reuse the tape after replacing the rim. It's not magic but it is the right tool for the job.

Ben
Old 06-11-16, 08:03 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I always have a big roll of black, cloth friction tape around. It works well as rim tape on wider rims, and the adhesive keeps it in place, too. Also works well as a base layer on bars; hold cable housing in place before the bar wrap goes on. For weight-weenies, it might make a good wrap on it's own. Your hands would never slip off of it.
Old 06-11-16, 10:54 AM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I have used this stuff which you can get on eBay for $1 per strip.

Old 06-15-16, 11:26 AM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I use velo plugs + electrical tape on my OC rims. I wish they would just drill the holes down the center of the rims.
Why tape with the plugs; they seem to work just fine for me without it...
Old 06-15-16, 12:31 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Still using the fiberless black tape I was back then. So nanner nanner
Old 06-15-16, 12:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Why tape with the plugs; they seem to work just fine for me without it...
Maybe a little overkill, but with the OC rims, the plugs seem to sit slightly to one side, and can leave a gap. It probably isn't an issue with the typical center drilled rims.
Old 06-16-16, 04:24 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Maybe a little overkill, but with the OC rims, the plugs seem to sit slightly to one side, and can leave a gap. It probably isn't an issue with the typical center drilled rims.
They make VPs in two sizes; maybe yours are too small...
Old 06-16-16, 07:46 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Maybe this belongs to C&V, but for my old single wall rims I like to make rim tape from old inner tubes. Cut a strip, measure on the rim, glue and overlap 5cm, hole punch - ready in 5mins and a tube recycled.
Old 06-17-16, 10:47 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Still using two layers of 1 mil Kapton tape. Super thin and lightweight (5gm), sticks well, comes off cleanly leaving no residue, can poke through to replace a spoke and patch with a couple of 1" pieces, inexpensive via Amazon or eBay.