Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do I manage hand tension after ride as professional musician?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How do I manage hand tension after ride as professional musician?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-19, 10:06 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Recently, I restarted playing piano after decades of hiatus.

Cycling and strength training trash my hands, arms, neck and shoulders and a hard cycling workout also trashes my posture for sitting at the piano. I find it all bad. My approach is timing the practice sessions and use marginal gains on the bike and in the gym to try to reduce stress on my hands.

I really like the SRAM Etap electronic shifting since it spreads shifting the rear derailleur between the two hands versus just using ones right hand. I ride with as light of a touch on the handlebars as possible.

Aerobars might seem like a way to go but they round the shoulders and generate more neck and shoulder fatigue - at least for me.

In the gym, I use more machines and less freeweights so that I do not have to rack weights and load heavy weights on leg press machine - marginal improvement.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-12-19 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 11:14 PM
josephpiano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Aero drop bar. Not just to race or speed. The extra flat parts are sublime for hands.

Make the legs take more pressure over pavement irregularities like shock absorbers.
I'm curious. Can you elaborate more?

Also, I use mtb cleats, as the shoes are walkable. However, I'm wondering, do actual road biking shoes/cleats/pedals (Speedplay Zero pedals, for example) help one accomplish this better?
Old 11-11-19, 11:28 PM
josephpiano

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boxkite
Strengthen your core so that you don't put much pressure on your hands. I ride in the lower portion of my bars (drops) probably over 90% of the time and have no issues. My friends laugh at how weak my hands are, too! Here is a pic of my Torelli just so you get an idea the position I ride.

What kind of music played?

What kind of core strengthening do you do?

I'm a classical musician.
Old 11-11-19, 11:36 PM
josephpiano

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
How tightly are you grasping your handlebars?

Another possible cause/need for the extreme grip (if that's the root cause of your pain) is if the bike isn't tracking accurately. Are you able to ride with no hands, and the bike continues to go straight? Or do you have to maintain a grip on the bars because the bike veers? If it veers, make the proper adjustments so that it doesn't do that.

Dan

Not very tightly.

for inaccurately tracking, what are the proper adjustments to fix that?
Old 11-12-19, 12:29 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,864 Posts
Originally Posted by josephpiano
Not very tightly.

What he means is whether the bike pulls to the left or right if you are not controlling the bars. If it is, there are any number of possible reasons - perhaps the wheels are out of true or there's some imbalance in the steering column. Take it to your LBS and they can diagnose the problem.

Worth checking, but maybe not the most likely cause of your problem.
Old 11-12-19, 06:17 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
What kind of core strengthening do you do?

I'm a classical musician.
Push-ups, sit ups, leg extensions, planks, etc. I do some of these exercises every morning. Yesterday I changed the oil in my car so that was a different bit of a workout! These exercises strengthen the body's core. My lower back muscles are strong enough to allow me to ride in a lower and more 'aero' position without undue strain on my hands. I can ride 'aero' without holding the bars. I am sure my arms are sufficiently strong but my hands aren't. My feet tire from standing, too, although my legs never tire from standing. I'm 62, 158lbs and 5'10" with a 'small' skeletal frame.

Classical- great! I am a huge fan of Debussy, Ravel and Rachmaninoff's piano works. I had the fortune to hear Alicia de Larrocha play in Houston and always wanted to hear Aldo Ciccolini and Rudolf Serkin. Guitar is cool and I heard Andre Segovia play, too!
Old 11-12-19, 06:24 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Not very tightly.

Check the things that MinnMan pointed out. Also, you can adjust the axle placement in the dropout. It could be that the axle is in there crooked. But it should be all the way into the dropout on both sides of the axle. When it is, it will track straight (on most correctly built bikes).

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 11-12-19 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-12-19, 08:16 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
Professional pianist: 'It hurts when I do this.'
Doctor: 'Don't do that.'

Seriously, how about cycling in a similar position with similar hand pressures as piano playing?

Old 11-12-19, 03:11 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Professional pianist: 'It hurts when I do this.'
Doctor: 'Don't do that.'

Seriously, how about cycling in a similar position with similar hand pressures as piano playing?

Yeah, not only is it easy on your hands and wrists, but you are much less likely to have an upper body injury should you go down.