Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Hitchhiking with a small folder?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-16, 11:45 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts

Two things that I dislike about bicycle riding are getting stuck on long stretches with heavy vehicular traffic, and backtracking the same route to get back to your starting point - ie, I'd rather see 30 miles of new scenery, than 15 miles twice (when you can't build a good loop).

In an urban area a folder often gives you public transport options to minimize both issues, but what do you do in the country away from these transportation infrastructures?

I recent did a ultralight 3-night camping tour on my Brompton and was shocked at how many folks had never really seen a folding bicycle before. People were astounded by the bike with many actually asking if they could take pictures of it. It certain opened up many friendly conversations.

So I was wondering if this folding bicycle curiosity might be a good catalyst to catch a ride while out in the country. Just fold the bike up by your feet and stick your thumb out. There's bound to a few folks that would inquisitively stop to check out the bike and offer you a ride. Just testing in my own cars, I think I can gracefully board most cars with the Brompton right on my lap, and without touching/bumping any part of the vehicle - in other words, no additional loading time or effort required by the driver vs a regular hitchhiker.

So, anyone ever try hitchhiking with a folding bike?
Old 09-18-16, 12:15 PM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
Two things that I dislike about bicycle riding are getting stuck on long stretches with heavy vehicular traffic, and backtracking the same route to get back to your starting point - ie, I'd rather see 30 miles of new scenery, than 15 miles twice (when you can't build a good loop).

In an urban area a folder often gives you public transport options to minimize both issues, but what do you do in the country away from these transportation infrastructures?

I recent did a ultralight 3-night camping tour on my Brompton and was shocked at how many folks had never really seen a folding bicycle before. People were astounded by the bike with many actually asking if they could take pictures of it. It certain opened up many friendly conversations.

So I was wondering if this folding bicycle curiosity might be a good catalyst to catch a ride while out in the country. Just fold the bike up by your feet and stick your thumb out. There's bound to a few folks that would inquisitively stop to check out the bike and offer you a ride. Just testing in my own cars, I think I can gracefully board most cars with the Brompton right on my lap, and without touching/bumping any part of the vehicle - in other words, no additional loading time or effort required by the driver vs a regular hitchhiker.

So, anyone ever try hitchhiking with a folding bike?
Well, I don't quite understand why you are shocked that you find many people don't know what a folding bike is. Two years ago, I hadn't a clue either. Depending on where you live determines, to a large degree, whether it's something conmanly known. Where I live, its a rare site to see someone on a folding bike. Perhaps in larger urban areas where more people commute with public transportation, you might find individuals that know something about folding bikes.

Hitchhiking? I don't know where you live brother, but here, your life can be at serious risk. When I was a kid, we would hitchhike all over. No chance of doing that anymore. I wish you God's speed with that idea.
Old 09-18-16, 12:30 PM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have had lifts from strangers in Thailand with my Bike Friday and Giant MTB..but I also paid locals with a pickup truck to take me various places with my bike..I have toured with a Brompton in Thailand also and it is so easy to go on buses , trains,tuk tuks and taxis..as well as private cars..So....yes ..you can certainly hitch hike in some places...but it helps if you pay..
Old 09-18-16, 01:18 PM
reppans

Great points guys...

I'm near NYC where folders do not seem to attract attention as it did on Cape Cod where I did the mini tour. Also folders seem to attract much more attention while folded, than while unfolding and ridden. I'm not new to folders (had Dahons since '91) but the Brompton is new to me, and the speed/easy/size/rolling of the Brompton fold meant I was folded/rolling much more often (not to mention I'll tend to lock the Dahon vs ball-and-chain the Brompton) hence the additional attention.

Might not make sense to hitch in the greater NYC area due to lack of folder interest/danger, but somewhere touristy like the Cape (with a reverse interest/danger ratio) might be perfect.

Pay rides are good, but hate taxis (rip-off). Uber is a definitely option... used it a few times with my son and was impressed... need to load the app and try it out for myself.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.
Old 09-19-16, 06:18 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
I've shared rides several times, with one or even two Bromptons. I/we've never been stuck loading them, something that wouldn't have been possible with bigger folders. That's why we stick to Bromptons even though there are better folding bikes for touring.
Old 09-19-16, 01:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I've accepted rides Home , folding up my bike ..

a Friend* I read, got low on water, and Hitched a Ride
in the Midst of a Tour down the coast . on his Brompton..

*He is also co Owner of the Shop in PDX that sells them.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-20-17 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 04:48 PM
sleepycactus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have hitched rides with the folded bike in rural central California maybe 5 times. It was always the first or second vehicle going by that stopped to offer a lift. I think having a folder next to you greatly increases your chance of getting a ride.
Old 09-19-16, 06:47 PM
reppans

Originally Posted by sleepycactus
I have hitched rides with the folded bike in rural central California maybe 5 times. It was always the first or second vehicle going by that stopped to offer a lift. I think having a folder next to you greatly increases your chance of getting a ride.
BINGO! That's just the report I was hoping for - thanks for chiming it.

I haven't hitchhiked in decades - I wouldn't pick myself up today. But if I weren't really aware of folding bicycles, I think I'd be compelled to give a hitchhiker a ride to find out more about them. As discussed above, this might be more effective in a rural setting than an urban setting, but that seems to pair nicely with the reduced alternative transport facilities.

I gotta give this a whirl, and to hedge my bet, I think it would be prudent to hitch out first, and then ride back .

Thank you all for your thoughts.
Old 09-22-16, 09:33 AM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I am glad to see that people still hitch-hike, used to get around that way in the early 80's, thought that was the end of it. Anyway, as far a folders go.. and I have seen it many times, am still amazed at the Brompton "fold'. It's a pretty slick fold.

Last edited by kraftwerk; 09-22-16 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-22-16, 12:59 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
I am glad to see that people... get around... thought that was the end of it. Anyway, ...I... am still amazed... It's... pretty...

Old 08-19-17, 07:54 PM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Very inspiring thread. I hitchhiked all across the US at age 18, but haven't done it in years. To try it with a folder sounds like a great idea (before I get too fat and lazy). I think hitchhiking is one of the best ways to see the country and meet people, and having a folder could add some possibilities. Thanks for the idea!
Old 08-19-17, 08:24 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I did a lot of hitchhiking when I was younger. I met some interesting people, and some weirdos. If you are hitchhiking, be careful, and don't fall asleep in an stranger's car.

In my teens, my family lived across the way from Randy Kraft. Google the name.