Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Swapping Italian carbon for new Italian steel! Help!!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Swapping Italian carbon for new Italian steel! Help!!

Old 10-05-19, 07:05 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-06-19, 05:28 AM
LewisFernandes

Bikes: Cinelli Hobootleg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Instead of looking at frames and picking one out based on the aesthetic opinions of others, perhaps prioritize frames that have the geometry you are looking for, and then compare those for aesthetics and tubing?

To me, that would seem like a better approach as it will get you a bike that fits how you want to ride.

Comments like 'Masters ride harsh' or 'De Rosas handle well' tells very little with regards to how the bikes will work for you.
Yeah I would agree with this, but I’m going to be buying the frame and building it up over time. So knowing which will fit the best and ride the way I want it to is quite tricky. I’ve had a bike fit before, and it wasn’t too conclusive on what suits me. All through my teenage years I rode all different types of bikes and now on road bikes I don’t do a crazy amount of miles so I know it sounds a bit amateur but I can sort of fit myself to the frame and style as long as it’s roughly right. I’m enjoying that now at 27 but I don’t know how long that’s gonna be the case for!!

I had a BMC RoadMachine a couple of years ago in a size 56 and I think maybe that was a tad too big and had me stretching too much. The De Rosa I have now is a 54 and I had a (ok) bike fit on it and it seems to be a good fit. (54.5 TT) I believe. I haven’t ridden steel since properly road cycling so I just have no idea what’s gonna work till I try it.

thanks!
Old 10-06-19, 05:37 AM
LewisFernandes

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all the help and advice, I wanted to reply to all the posts but I got capped at 5 posts per day so that didn’t really work out. But yeah it’s all been noted!!

Those Casati’s that have been mentioned are lovely and right up my street! Lots of options to consider!

however, I think I have my favourite- I’m gonna work towards and find out about fitting myself to a Colnago Arabesque. The lugs and the crimped tubes just offer that extra touch of special that I haven’t found elsewhere. All the other frames are special in their own way but I just love those details! As you can see in my last post/reply, the fit is a bit of an unknown, but Sigma Sports in London are selling the frame (this convenience is also a plus) so I might pop in and ask about sizing me up. I’m just quite tolerant to different geometries so I’m never sure, even after a bike fit. like, I could go based on my current bike, but how do I know that is the 100% right fit. It feels ok...

I’m 83 inseam. 5”10. 11 stone. Pretty much a standard body shape and size. If anyone is similar to me and owns a Master, I’d love to know what size you went for. If you don’t own a Master, I’d still love your input haha!

thanks!
Old 10-06-19, 05:48 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
It seems to me people obsess a bit about "custom fit" for a frame. There's very little in the groupset you can't micro-adjust to get the fit comfortable. Get whatever frame you want, get it a size close enough, and you should be OK.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 10-06-19, 07:22 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Don't leave out the small time builders. Some real gems out there if you look. I had this wonderful riding Paletti built up this year. Tempted to go fully modern but went a bit older for the silver groupset.

Old 10-06-19, 07:34 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 09:34 AM.
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 10-06-19, 09:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by LewisFernandes
Yeah I would agree with this, but I’m going to be buying the frame and building it up over time. So knowing which will fit the best and ride the way I want it to is quite tricky. I’ve had a bike fit before, and it wasn’t too conclusive on what suits me. All through my teenage years I rode all different types of bikes and now on road bikes I don’t do a crazy amount of miles so I know it sounds a bit amateur but I can sort of fit myself to the frame and style as long as it’s roughly right. I’m enjoying that now at 27 but I don’t know how long that’s gonna be the case for!!

I had a BMC RoadMachine a couple of years ago in a size 56 and I think maybe that was a tad too big and had me stretching too much. The De Rosa I have now is a 54 and I had a (ok) bike fit on it and it seems to be a good fit. (54.5 TT) I believe. I haven’t ridden steel since properly road cycling so I just have no idea what’s gonna work till I try it.

thanks!
You have a bike that you like, so use that.
Take your current de rosa and look up the measurements or just measure them yourself.
Head tube angle, seat tube angle, bottom bracket drop from dropouts, chainstsy length, fork offset, and stack and reach.

All those measurements affect if a bike feels quick or slow, too big a reach or comfortable.
A basic top tube measurement really doesnt mean much at all for fit or style of ride.

These measurements are why some find a frame too twitchy while others like the same frame and find it quick handling and responsive.

Spending the money you are about to spend, i would think you would want to know how a frame will feel relative to a bike you know you like.
Old 10-06-19, 09:59 AM
LewisFernandes

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Don't leave out the small time builders. Some real gems out there if you look. I had this wonderful riding Paletti built up this year. Tempted to go fully modern but went a bit older for the silver groupset.

Thats lovely! Yeah after what some people mentioned in the forum and also with my research, I found lots of amazing small bike brands that I could even visit, for a really nice intimate experience. I think I’ll definitely do this one day. But they had something missing for me, and I think it’s that little hint of opulence that those lugs and tubing bring. But yeah, once that itch has been scratched, I think that’s a really nice process and way to buy a bike.
Old 10-06-19, 10:09 AM
LewisFernandes

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You have a bike that you like, so use that.
Take your current de rosa and look up the measurements or just measure them yourself.
Head tube angle, seat tube angle, bottom bracket drop from dropouts, chainstsy length, fork offset, and stack and reach.

All those measurements affect if a bike feels quick or slow, too big a reach or comfortable.
A basic top tube measurement really doesnt mean much at all for fit or style of ride.

These measurements are why some find a frame too twitchy while others like the same frame and find it quick handling and responsive.

Spending the money you are about to spend, i would think you would want to know how a frame will feel relative to a bike you know you like.
thanks for this, good advice.

I’ll get it measured up, and I’ll probably get a quick fit before I buy the frame too. I suppose my point is that I just don’t think I would know the difference between twitchy and quick handling/responsive because I haven’t had any long time with one size and style of road bike. So it’s really hard to know what will work. Suck it and see I suppose. I think I’d go for a 54, and then when it comes to fitting components, have a play with those sizes.

but yeah, it’s not gonna be cheap you’re right. And I would very much like to know that, but seems to be a hard thing for a rider like me to establish. I think thats a small reason why the Colnago just pipped it too- so many people like the ride and are happy with the sizing and comfort, so I can take some solace in that. Plus if there’s an issue, there will be others who can advise.
Old 10-06-19, 10:11 AM
LewisFernandes

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Boxkite
I'm 86 inseam, 5'10" (used to be 5'11.5"... shrinking with age at 62), 11.4 stone (target is old race weight of 10.6 stone). I can ride c-c 52 to 56 frame easily enough with proper stem and saddle adjustments. I 'like' 170mm cranks w 52 or 53 'big' chain ring. By 'easily' I mean the frames perform as to my liking without feeling cramped or too big as if sitting too far back and stretched out. It's not a scientific explanation by any means.

The Colnago Arabesque will be a very nice ride!
Thankyou for this! Yeah my current bike is 54 and I was thinking about 54 for the Colnago
Old 10-06-19, 06:45 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 72 Posts
I've owned a Pinarello Montello since '92 (it's an '87), which I converted to 8 speed Chorus, and have kept that way. Both the Montello, and a slightly older Record I recently picked up, will accept a 130mm wheel without even stretching the frame.

I also have a '96 Master Light (with Gilco tubing) that I picked up late last year and rebuilt with 11 speed Chorus (it came with Dura Ace 9). What a gorgeous bike in that over the top Art Decor paint (this is AD4), and it turns heads for sure, and it's a joy to ride. But, I dread the day it gets scuffed up. I wouldnt call the ride twitchy, but the bike just knows where you want it to go and makes it happen - think turn, and it dives in, think straighten out and you're there.

Likes For CyclingFool95:
Old 10-07-19, 08:03 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Who makes the modern Torelli frames? I've heard good things about them, though IIRC "Torelli" is an import brand for Italian frames like Italvega was back in the day.

https://torelli.com/shop/spettro/

the "modern" Cinelli Supercorsa is a hot looker as well (though apparently Cinelli also contracts Italian framebuilders to make their modern made-in-Italy steel bikes). Pro tip: get it in white

https://www.cinelli-usa.com/supercorsa-frame-set/

also if you really want to go deluxe (since you're shopping for Colnagos and De Rosas) and price isn't an object, you should really spring for stainless steel (Reynolds 953/Columbus XCR). Cachet of titanium but much, much rarer. I see titanium bikes in the city very frequently (they're popular among the young nouveau-riche techie set), but I've never seen stainless.

https://torelli.com/shop/il-30/
https://www.cinelli-usa.com/xcr-frameset-magic-mirror/

(that Magic Mirror XCR is so hot, if I was rich and retired)

edit: apparently people seem to think Torellis are currently made by Cicli Barco. To be honest, something like that is my recommendation, especially if you live in Europe. Lots of people have Colnagos, but not too many people have custom-made frames from small Italian shops anymore

https://www.ciclibarco.it/?portfolio=prova-prova

Last edited by sheddle; 10-07-19 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-07-19, 06:02 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-08-19, 04:05 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Don’t forget Ciocc is still available in steel. Has a cult following.

https://www.ciocc.it/en/product-tag/steel/
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 10-08-19, 05:42 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by eric1971
Can't go wrong with a Master.

So beautiful!!!
Old 10-18-19, 01:51 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Cinelli stainless steel
Old 10-18-19, 02:03 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Has anyone mentioned Pegoretti yet?
Old 10-18-19, 02:03 PM
LewisFernandes

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Oooh lots of helpful info and advice, thankyou!

tbh I haven’t heard of Torelli yet, which is surprising given my hours lost researching this topic! I’ll check them out now. As for CIOCC, I’m gonna have a look, was unaware they were still building new frames. I’m looking at the Wilier Superleggera and the Cinelli Supercorsa as the most realistic options (can’t be bothered with threading the thread less steerers and I want a quill), the Wilier in particular as it’s styling allows me to go for Super record without compromising the look of the bike. It’s that or the supercorsa with silver (maybe potenza) campy. And yeah, I wanna use new parts if I can, as i want to build a new modern classic! The original and NOS bike will come at some point I’m sure, so I don’t wanna step on it’s toes. Plus I’m getting rid of a very nice and light Carbon De Rosa SK and this new build will be my primary and only proper ride.

Sheddle- thanks for that, but why a white Cinelli? Tell us the gossip.

cheers all, appreciating the comments! Been scouring threads for years trying to find info that is relevant to me, so its great that this actually this!
Old 10-18-19, 02:07 PM
LewisFernandes

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

The Superleggera. I think it’s one of a few of the new builds that the black group sets look lovey on. So this is the option of I go super record!
Likes For LewisFernandes:
Old 10-18-19, 02:08 PM
LewisFernandes

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Supercorsas
Old 10-18-19, 03:34 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Check out Tommasini bikes. I had a bright red metallic Sintesi, back in the 90's. Excellent workmanship, but the may cost even more than a Colnago master. In the past, I've had two C-40 frames and now have a modern, but inexpensive C-RS with Chorus 12.
Old 10-30-19, 06:47 PM
zbillster

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
OP,
if you want to go completely custom, check into
Cicli Barco (they also build the Cinelli XCR frame)
I hit this thread searching for information on Maurizio Barco frames ... I think he was making (or may still be making)IL Massimo Lugati Leggero frames, which look beautiful. I think he builds a lot of frames for different brands.
I was looking at Italian lugged frames ... not oversized (SL tubing), external brake cabling (hate the rattle!), stage tour geometry for comfort, threaded headset.
Old 10-30-19, 07:05 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by eric1971
Can't go wrong with a Master.

Stunning. Here are my two Italian steel steeds:

Old 10-30-19, 07:06 PM
LewisFernandes

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zbillster
I hit this thread searching for information on Maurizio Barco frames ... I think he was making (or may still be making)IL Massimo Lugati Leggero frames, which look beautiful. I think he builds a lot of frames for different brands.
I was looking at Italian lugged frames ... not oversized (SL tubing), external brake cabling (hate the rattle!), stage tour geometry for comfort, threaded headset.
yeah from the little bit of info I can garner from the website, they do look promising!! I will look into it more if poss!
Old 10-30-19, 07:07 PM
LewisFernandes

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Stunning. Here are my two Italian steel steeds:

These are gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.