Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Let's discuss Continental tires.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Let's discuss Continental tires.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-19, 04:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
I am still waiting for a Tubeless Gator Hardshell.

I think there was an Italian tire that was supposed to have reasonable wear resistance and puncture resistance in tubeless. I need to resume my tubeless experiments again sometime.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
In a second tangential post in a row from me, I will say that one of the nice things about buying a Garmin Varia radar unit is staying in the lane more frequently and then vacating when I get a notification of a closing vehicle. Much less debris and usually significantly smoother, too.
Very few cars can sneak up on me without me hearing/seeing them. The worst part is about a 1/2 mile hill that is parallel the the freeway that I often hit at dusk/dark. But, or the most part I'm very aware of the traffic around me.
Old 11-08-19, 05:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
@WhyFi is right on both counts.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-08-19, 05:44 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
In a second tangential post in a row from me, I will say that one of the nice things about buying a Garmin Varia radar unit is staying in the lane more frequently and then vacating when I get a notification of a closing vehicle. Much less debris and usually significantly smoother, too.
It sounds awesome and I would buy one in a minute except for the fact that I ride a lot in town and that thing would be beeping constantly. Bummer.
Old 11-08-19, 05:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You can turn the sound off. It's very useful in urban settings. It doesn't just tell you there's a car behind you, it tells you how many and how they're spaced. You know when and where to merge into traffic without having to look back. (Of course you still need to look behind you, but much less often.)
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-08-19, 06:57 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think there was an Italian tire that was supposed to have reasonable wear resistance and puncture resistance in tubeless. I need to resume my tubeless experiments again sometime.
You might be thinking of the Pirelli Cinturato - it's made to be a little more robust.

Very few cars can sneak up on me without me hearing/seeing them. The worst part is about a 1/2 mile hill that is parallel the the freeway that I often hit at dusk/dark. But, or the most part I'm very aware of the traffic around me.
I think, for the most part, that we're all very aware, but go from "very few" to "none" and extend the range to one and a half football fields and you have an idea of the Varia. My senses simply are not as good as the radar, and neither are yours.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-08-19, 07:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
It sounds awesome and I would buy one in a minute except for the fact that I ride a lot in town and that thing would be beeping constantly. Bummer.
So do I. The only time it's not welcome is when I'm on a separated lane or frontage road parallel to a highway, but it's really not that annoying.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-09-19, 04:30 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Road Position?

I have to wonder if those that absolutely never get flats are driving down the center of the driving lane. Or, perhaps there aren't any shoulders, and there is no choice.
That's an interesting observation.

Now that I think about it, pretty much all of my flats have been on shoulders. In the past five years or so, I can think of exactly one that was a JRA flat (as opposed to a bonehead move on my part) that was not on a shoulder or in a bike lane.

For better or worse, most of the roads in places I've been do not have shoulders...maybe that's partly why the GP 4000S2 tires have worked for me.
Old 11-12-19, 12:19 PM
wutareyoudoin

Bikes: BMC RoadMachine 02Two, CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 5000s are excellent. I have them on 2 of my bikes (28 and 25 width) and they are comfortable, fast, relatively durable mile-age wise (compared to something like a gatorskin), and less prone to flats than I expected for such a "soft" tire.

I have ridden the 4000s and the main difference to me was that the 5000s inflated more true to size. A 28mm 4000 at 90psi is closer to 30mm. Not a massive difference in road feel, but there definitely is one.