Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Adjusting to a modern cockpit

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Adjusting to a modern cockpit

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 03:08 PM
sixer

Bikes: 1982 Mercian Vincitore, 2014 Fitwell DeGroot, 1999 Raleigh M80, 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 2002 Ibex Classic 3300, 1978 Kabuki Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Typically I set my saddle at 88cm above the bb. Varies a little depending on the cushion of the saddle. I set it at 88cm on the new bike as well but have been experimenting with raising it a bit as it's a firmer saddle, however that's putting the seatpost a little above the max limit...
Old 11-07-19, 03:45 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninetimes
Look at Soma Fabs “Highway One Bar”. About identical to the Nitto Noodle and has both clamp diameters.
+1 Solid recommendation.

I have one on my custom. It does the job handily. A very comfortable bar, indeed.
Old 11-07-19, 04:08 PM
Ninetimes

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Below photo;

Center Left is the Nitto Noodle. Far left is a Dedda bar. Far Right is a typical vintage Cinelli bar.

Center Right is a direct knock off of the Soma "Highway One Bar".. I was buying the knock off until they stopped selling it, and then moved over to the Highway One Bar.

I cut about 3/4" on an inch off the 'bar end' on both sides, as its a little long for me, and really doesn't square up with the vintage look like the Nitto Noodle [that's been around for ever].

For me the drop is great. When I go back to the compact bar on one of my other bikes, the compact bar feels funny. Further, as I run modern day Campy 10 speed on my vintage bikes, I want the levers up toward the top of the bar. This works perfectly with the Highway One bar. Nice flat ramp down to the levers with a great vintage drop.

Old 11-12-19, 11:24 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by sixer
No comments on the size. I am fully aware of how big I am

New and old below:

That is a strange looking compact bar to me. I agree I'd probably ditch it as well.

First check if the Nitto Noodle is available in a 31.8 clamp area. If not, there are spacers available for sale that work fine.

Yes, most ergo shifters will be longer than old brake levers due to the additional components. I would just shorten the stem some to compensate, or pick a bar with less reach if you use the bar top much and want it in the same place.