Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

cheap rim tape substitute

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 12:07 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts

I bought a lot of black strapping tape on ebay to try out. Here is the auction:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=017

It does not have the fiberglass strands running through it that I associate with strapping tape, but it does seem pretty tough. It is very thin but is seemingly impossible to stretch.

Anyone seen this kind of tape before? How well will it work for rim tape? I have one set of wheels right now with it on with 100lbs of pressure. So far, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The adhesive is pretty mild. It should stay in place, but should be easy to remove.

jim
Old 01-29-08, 12:27 AM
FlatFender

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep, I use strapping tape currently. I like it because it is thin, so it make mounting tires easier.
Old 01-29-08, 01:31 AM
mark9950

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
three or four layers
Old 01-29-08, 02:56 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
How much cheaper is it than a good rim strip? Add the price of 1 tube. How's it look now?
Old 01-29-08, 06:06 AM
Bobby Lex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Cheap" rim tape? Like cheaper than $4.00**********??

I bet you could find $4.00 in loose change under the cushions in your couch, or in your car's ashtray.

Bob
Old 01-29-08, 06:49 AM
reckon
Banned.

Bikes: 1979 motobecane fixed, 2002 GT LTS-3 street stomper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex

I bet you could find $4.00 in loose change under the cushions in your couch, or in your car's ashtray.

Bob
or that you probably spend more on toilet paper

think about it, so how much is not having a blowout at speed after you hit a nice sharp bump worth.

it's like that old commercial "you can pay me now, or pay me later"
Old 01-29-08, 07:28 AM
ruppster
Bike Builder

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a pair of wheels with a couple of layers of electrical tape in them. It has held for a year. I didn't have rim tape when I put the wheels on, so I figured I would give it a try. I have rim tape in my toolbox & will probably put it on next time I swap tires. It is 3M tape, not the cheap stuff.
Old 01-29-08, 07:42 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by reckon
it's like that old commercial "you can pay me now, or pay me later"
+1

Seen way too many flats due to bad rim tape. Just not worth it. Flat tire, ruins your rhythm, might cause a crash, etc. Same reason I replace but don't patch tubes, replace cut tires, and replace creaking bars/bb/etc.

cdr
Old 01-29-08, 07:52 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Rim tape is < $1. Wtf? This is one of the places where it's a bigger waste of time than money to think up something else as a replacement unless it's an emergency.
Old 01-29-08, 10:44 AM
soma5
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've used the fiberglass-reinforced strapping tape before, just as an experiment. It works very well if you use several layers, but at that point it's not saving you that much weight as comparted to Velox. I'm tempted to try those plastic plugs, but it's just big enough of a deal to worry about it. I say, if you've got the tape already, sure, go ahead and use it but make sure you get several layers in there. If you haven't bought it yet, just keep using Velox. Reliability is paramount.

-soma5
Old 01-29-08, 10:49 AM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex

Bob
I always laugh at these threads. "Man, I gotta find a cheaper alternative to that $4 rim tape. That stuff is killing me. I've had to buy 4 rolls in the last 20 years and 350,000 miles. I need a cheaper alternative."
Old 01-29-08, 10:53 AM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Portis
I always laugh at these threads. "Man, I gotta find a cheaper alternative to that $4 rim tape. That stuff is killing me. I've had to buy 4 rolls in the last 20 years and 350,000 miles. I need a cheaper alternative."
Dang it, we need a rep system asap.
Old 01-29-08, 12:02 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I was in a pinch on a Sun. night with my brothers old 10 speed. I used 4 layers of duct tape. It's still there 5 years later. He had a flat after about 2 years and said the tube came out OK. I expected it would be "glued in", but he said it was only slightly stuck.
Old 01-29-08, 12:23 PM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PricePoint has real rim tape for $0.98. Add a few to your order when you buy something.
Old 01-29-08, 01:14 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I carefully chamfer the holes on any new rim I buy before building up the wheel. That way I don't really need a rim tape at all. I have one wheel that held for two years like that. I dindn't ride it in the winter, but it has seen plenty of road nonetheless.
Old 01-29-08, 01:32 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Well, I appreciate tips like this.

If you spend some time in the C&V forum you'll find folks who like fixing up lots of old bikes for friends/family or "flipping" them for a small profit. By the time you've put new tubes, tires, cables, pads, bearings, etc. on an old bike your profit margin is going to be slim as it is.

Then there's people like me who've needed to fix a flat for a ride the next morning and there wasn't an LBS open for me spend $4.00 on rim tape. Waiting for a $0.98 roll to show up in the mail wouldn't have worked either.

It's nice to know that there are readily available substitutes that you can buy at 1:00 am if need be that work just fine.
Old 01-29-08, 01:37 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Well, I appreciate tips like this.

If you spend some time in the C&V forum you'll find folks who like fixing up lots of old bikes for friends/family or "flipping" them for a small profit. By the time you've put new tubes, tires, cables, pads, bearings, etc. on an old bike your profit margin is going to be slim as it is.

Then there's people like me who've needed to fix a flat for a ride the next morning and there wasn't an LBS open for me spend $4.00 on rim tape. Waiting for a $0.98 roll to show up in the mail wouldn't have worked either.

It's nice to know that there are readily available substitutes that you can buy at 1:00 am if need be that work just fine.
Exactly. YES, I know that it is penny-wise and pound-foolish to cut this corner. But still, there might be times (like those mentioned above) when it could make sense.

Any way, there is nothing wrong with rethinking solutions to problems.

jim
Old 01-29-08, 03:49 PM
p4nh4ndle
coffeeeeee

Bikes: all that I ride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
if you're building a wheel, and you're on your way to the bike shop, just pick up the effing rim strip.
then again, if the wheel's built, tomorrow's sunday, the weather is perfect, and you have to ride NOW, packing tape will work just fine.
it's not a good way to shave dollars from the bottom line. it is a good way to get the job done.
Old 11-29-15, 02:55 AM
ArSa69

Bikes: Alubike Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Portis
I can't find rim tape anywhere in this piece of **** city I live in, Veracruz, Mexico...

One rim strip is worth 105 pesos and I would need 2, I make 100 pesos as income. now, I'm not complaining but the internet is available world wide...but I'm guessing only "americans" use this forums right? So who cares?
Old 11-29-15, 06:18 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I don't know about the particular tape that you have, but I used to use strapping tape with the fiberglass (or whatever) strands as rim tape all the time. In my experience the strapping tape was perfectly functional while it was in use. The only problem I had was if I had a need to remove it because it tended to come up in itty-bitty little pieces. On the positive side, it was easy to rip lengthwise to yield exactly the width that I needed for any particular rim. You can't do that with Velox.

For the record, all of the bikes in my basement today have Velox rim strips but, if I had an emergency, I'd rip down and substitute some duck tape or strapping tape in a flash.
Old 11-29-15, 07:14 AM
long john

Bikes: cuevas

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I run a free bike share program for the local soup kitchen. People donate abused bikes that need work. Money is short so I use the cloth electrical tape it works great as a $ saver for free bikes...... But I use rim tape on my bike lol
Old 11-29-15, 02:43 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Ive used all sorts of things, depending on what's been available. For wider (MTB) tires and lower pressures electrical tape, 2-3 layers have done well enough to be indistinguishable from the real thing. Strapping/bundling/banding tape works OK too. Got a Stokvis MOPP I've been using. Very thin, even at two layers. Good for difficult tires. Will dimple over the nipple holes more than a real rim tape though. Also tried a fiber reinforced one. One layer is enough even at fairly high pressures. Will ALSO dimple over the nipple holes a surprising amount.
Not much of an issue to me really. I'll reach for a real rim tape first, but if none is at hand, riding improvised stuff doesn't worry me.
Old 11-29-15, 11:12 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Kapton tape is very inexpensive and works well. It was recommended by a forum member in another thread. I bought two rolls off ebay for about $3 USD per roll from China to my door. It is available in many different widths and lengths so be sure to measure the inside width of you rims if you want a neat job. All spoke holes must be completely covered. I used two complete wraps of 2 mil tape. It's thinner than cloth tape possibly making tires slightly easier to mount, the reason I chose to use it.
Old 11-30-15, 09:39 AM
El Gato27

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was fixing my wifes old hybrid (new tire, tubes....) and I needed some rim tape. Closest bike "store" is the bike co-op, didn't know if they carried rim tape so I called them before I drove out there. Guy on the phone told me they did sell it and he would sell it to me but also suggested I could use duct tape folded over, said he used that all the time w/o any problems. That's what I used.

That hybrid may see 20 miles in a year. Not sure if I would use it on my regular bikes.
Old 11-30-15, 05:19 PM
Dsprok

Bikes: Hybrid and Folding

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mark9950
three or four layers
this...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.