Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Advice on best route: Montreal-Quebec-Montreal

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-13, 04:35 AM
concentriq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all: Hoping to get some advice on the best route on Montreal-Quebec-Montreal tour this summer, we're hoping to go up on one side of the river and come back on the other.
I've researched some and sketched out a preliminary route (see this map here: https://goo.gl/maps/MdJyP ) , but hoping to get advice from someone local or someone who is familiar with biking in the area.

The Northern (Western??) part of the route going from Montreal to Quebec i think is fairly self explanatory: Ride as close as you can to the river, avoid Rt. 40 and make an overnight stop at Trois Rivieres.

The Southern (Eastern??) part of the route going from Quebec back to Montreal can go either way: either stay close to the river on the roads (Colored Red), or go via bike paths further inland (Blue). Distance wise, the more inland path is only marginally longer but as far as I understand, the paths are mostly crushed limestone and not asphalted. It's fine, but just want to verify and asphalt of course is more preferable.

Questions are:
Which one of the southern paths would you take? which is most picturesque, more interesting?
Is there some other path returning to Montreal that is even better than what I came up with?
Is there anything to avoid on either of the paths?
Is there anything to specifically see?
Preliminary plan is to take 2 days going up and 2 or 3 days coming back: any towns you would recommend stopping in overnight? Were open to either the hotel or campgrounds.
Anything else I havent thought of?

Any help is appreciated: I've been in that part of Canada few years back, and very excited to go back and bike it.
Old 02-24-13, 06:08 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Have you had a look here?
https://www.routeverte.com/rv/index2010_e.php
More maps and route planning for Quebec than I think you'll find anywhere else.
Plus - you can order the Cycling in Quebec : Official Guide / 7th edition before you get here and do some pretty extensive advance planning.
Old 02-25-13, 07:22 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The blue path on the south side is possibly the most boring path in all of Quebec, except around Granby. I only rode the south shore from MTL to Sorel and it's nice. The rest is probably as nice or nicer. I would take that route.
Old 02-25-13, 07:30 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode Montreal to Quebec about 8 years ago. The north route as you said is self explanatory. If camping there is a great campground right on the river about 6 km before Trois Rivieres. On the return I took what is called route one(Blue Route) on the maps (the southern riverside route didn't exist then) It was pretty boring between Charny and Victoriaville. The trail is crushed stone and being an old railroad bed it is flanked by dense overgrowth so there isn't a lot of scenery to enjoy. Victoriaville was pretty nice. I camped at a campground a couple miles past Victoriaville. From Richmond to Sherbrooke you are following a trail along the river, mostly rolling terrain. Just outside of Sherbrooke in Lennoxville is a good campground ( turn right after crossing bridge ,1 km) Lennoxville to Waterloo is the most interesting and scenic and the most hilly section of the route. Magog is a cool little village to poke around in and have lunch. Mont Orford Park is very pretty to ride through. Waterloo to St Jean the terrain flattens out again and is a nice gradual downhill. St Jean back to Montreal is mostly suburban but a nice ride nonetheless . It follows the river/canal to Chambly. Instead of following the route which winds through St Lambert I short cutted over to the bridge back to Montreal.
Old 02-26-13, 06:11 PM
john426

Bikes: Diamondback Response, Greenzone Folder, Huffy and Free Spirit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did this trip two years ago. I stayed on the north side of the river. There are lots of interesting little towns and lots to see. Also the locals were very friendly. There is a book you can buy which has everything on the Route Verte. It lists bike shops, accomodations and sights. You can buy it in Montreal.

In the Eastern Cantons there are wineries and lots of foodie types of places. I never got to do that tour as hurricane Irene hit when I got to Quebec City and there were lots of downed trees and flooding.