Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike rear derailleur arm issue

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 09:02 AM
aidan.duffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I am fairly new to biking and have an issue. I recently bought a bike to ride around the city (Trek FX 1 Disc). It has been great so far but now I am having an issue.

While pedaling forward, sometimes the rear derailleur will fold or bend which causes my chain to become very loose and will make a loud vibrating noise. All I have to do is begin pedaling backwards and immediately it will re adjust and everything is fine. This happens very frequently now when I ride my bike and I am unsure how to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-28-23, 09:10 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I recommend taking it to a bike shop to have them the check the derailleur. It might just need a simple adjustment.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-28-23, 10:08 AM
aidan.duffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I may do that. I was hoping to be able to make the adjustments at home tbh
Old 08-28-23, 10:56 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by aidan.duffy
Yes I may do that. I was hoping to be able to make the adjustments at home tbh
Perhaps you can. For some guidance, you might post in the Bicycle Mechanics subforum. If possible, post a video there of the malfunction occurring. This will give people the best chance of understanding what's really happening.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-28-23, 11:40 AM
aidan.duffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
amazing thank you. I will do so now.
Old 08-28-23, 09:58 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
As a newbie you will not be able to post pictures until you reach 10 posts. You have four so far. From your description it seems as though the chain is catching on something in the lower part of the derailleur (idler) and pulling it forward . See a diagram here for the parts of the derailleur so you can use the correct terminology. https://fresnocycling.com/Shop-Talk/6339982 It is possible that the RD is worn or damaged or the chain has been damaged. The first thing is to carefully check the chain by flipping the bike upside down and rotating the cranks while you watch the chain for damage as it goes around the idler. If your chain has a master link, you can buy a chain, shorten it to the right length and install it yourself. If the rear derailleur is damaged and you haven't done any bicycle repair, you might want a bike shop to fix that. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to replace a rear derailleur.
Old 03-16-24, 09:09 AM
zactaylor

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Can also happen when the jockey wheels are not running straight. The teeth could be too worn or the whole cog could be loose.
Old 03-16-24, 09:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
If it's a new bike you should take it back to the shop. Trying to learn what to fix on a bike that isn't working well can have you confused about what really does what. It's better if you know what does what before you try to make something do what.

Most bike shops stand behind what they sell for a year maybe two. And if it's actually a warranty issue, then Trek needs to know that something is happening.

You don't list your country. A lot of the shops here will let persons watch while they work on the bike. So you can learn a lot by watching and asking questions about why their doing that to your bike.
Old 03-18-24, 10:54 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by aidan.duffy
Hi,

I am fairly new to biking and have an issue. I recently bought a bike to ride around the city (Trek FX 1 Disc). It has been great so far but now I am having an issue.

While pedaling forward, sometimes the rear derailleur will fold or bend which causes my chain to become very loose and will make a loud vibrating noise. All I have to do is begin pedaling backwards and immediately it will re adjust and everything is fine. This happens very frequently now when I ride my bike and I am unsure how to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
If this is a fairly new bike, just take it to the shop you bought it from, and have them adjust it. This is one of those things that will be very easy for some one with experience to diagnose and repair, but tricky for most novice cyclist/DIYer, there are several things that may be causing it. Also, while unlikely, it is possible for the dlr to get hung up and bend or in extreme cases get ripped out and possibly damage the frame or wheel, and even cause an accident.