Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Arizona Prosecutor Says Uber Not Criminally Liable When Self-Driving SUV Struck Peds

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Arizona Prosecutor Says Uber Not Criminally Liable When Self-Driving SUV Struck Peds

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-19, 02:12 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Here's an interesting article:

https://www.wired.com/story/self-dri...ts-statistics/

Apparently the self driving cars are getting into numerous accidents, including frequently being rear-ended (including being rear-ended by a bicycle).

It may well be that the cars are doing something on the road that makes them especially prone to being rear-ended, for example stopping for stuff they don't need to stop for, or stopping too abruptly for yellow lights.

This could well be part of the issues that Uber was dealing with.
Like stopping at red lights, stop signs and amber lights? Being rear-ended in cases like these indicate the car behind is following to closely. And, yes, we've been taught to follow at a safe distance exactly for cases like these and other cases where the lead car has to unexpectedly stop.

As I've mentioned many times before, if self-driving cars are programmed to follow the rules of the road, which includes safe driving practices during collisions, we'll know which cars were manually driven because it'll be manually driven cars causing collisions.
Old 04-20-19, 03:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Like stopping at red lights, stop signs and amber lights? Being rear-ended in cases like these indicate the car behind is following to closely. And, yes, we've been taught to follow at a safe distance exactly for cases like these and other cases where the lead car has to unexpectedly stop.

As I've mentioned many times before, if self-driving cars are programmed to follow the rules of the road, which includes safe driving practices during collisions, we'll know which cars were manually driven because it'll be manually driven cars causing collisions.
There are two ways to approach traffic lights.
  1. Timing Lights
    Take it easy approaching the next light, and gently coast through the light just as it turns green. This, of course, saves on gas and perhaps wear on the car. But, it is not without issues, as one times the lights wrong, and slams on one's brakes, or shoots into the intersection at speed with a legal green light, but before the intersection completely clears (bicycles?)
  2. Race to the lext Light
    As soon as the light turns green, pedal to the metal, screeching tires. Then just before slamming into the stopped car ahead, slam on the brakes.
    Good way to burn gas and wear out brakes. And, the overall result is white knuckles, and it may well be slower than the coasting method above.
    Risks, of course, including going too fast, as well as abruptly stopping in front of following cars.
A following car, of course, should be able to have enough buffer to deal with abrupt stops (or even to predict when the car in front may stop), but abruptly stopping does create a risk.

Ideally, one will be driving somewhat in the middle between the two extremes. And, say the self driving car leans towards one behavior extreme or another, it creates a hazard.

One can't just assume the road will always be clear in front, and situations will never change. That cyclist that gets caught by a light change?
Old 04-20-19, 04:43 PM
mamonahan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree
Old 04-20-19, 06:37 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
I think the next and most effective version of AV will be PARTIAL evaluation and control in normally driven cars to "auto-correct" and buffer poor driving habits and driver errors. The first things to be required by law (big brother's constant concern for safety of course) would be prevention of exceeding speed limits, keeping stop light intersections clear, lane hop-scotching and passing on the right. Keeping cars from driving or parking in bike lanes probably won't be included.
Old 04-20-19, 06:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
I think the next and most effective version of AV will be PARTIAL evaluation and control in normally driven cars to "auto-correct" and buffer poor driving habits and driver errors. The first things to be required by law (big brother's constant concern for safety of course) would be prevention of exceeding speed limits, keeping stop light intersections clear, lane hop-scotching and passing on the right. Keeping cars from driving or parking in bike lanes probably won't be included.
A lot of that is already in process.

We have cruise controls that automatically slow down as traffic ahead slows.

Lane Departure Systems. There was a complaint posted here earlier about a car with lane departure controls that forced a close pass of a bicycle. I don't remember all the circumstances.

Automatic braking. Volvo claims that their system, had it been unmodified would have detected and stopped for the pedestrian in front of the car.

The Tesla "Autopilot" is essentially the sum of all of those programs. Auto braking, auto lane departure, etc. To the point that drivers have discovered they can take their hands off the wheel and do other things (and then kill themselves for going beyond the design parameters).

Speed Limit Detection? Perhaps that will come quickly. No reason not to use GPS and bluetooth or WIFI to set/detect speed limits.
Old 04-21-19, 11:50 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
A lot of new cars have as options a forward-collision-mitigation system and other features for bad drivers.

So what's missing is for self-driving cars to have a reverse proximity detector indicating to the vehicle who is following that it is following too closely for its speed and road condition. Many times when I approach an amber light, I take a quick glance at my rear view mirror before tapping my brakes.

A few weeks ago, I was driving in a suburban city outside of Toronto. It was a long highway-like road with a posted speed limit of 70km/hr. But I hit every red light. Lights would actually turn red as the traffic approached the intersection. I said to my wife why the speed limit was 70. It should be 50 instead. But I'm guessing that the design of the road would make drivers want to speed so traffic engineers had to find a way to control the flow. This kind of thing would only frustrate any driver and make them want to go at 80 to beat the next light and create collisions with self-driving cars.