Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You need to be smooth and predictable in fast groups

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

You need to be smooth and predictable in fast groups

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 11:46 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Funny that a lot of the triathletes I know paceline in aerobars, which roadies consider damn near impossible..
I ride with a few triathletes that are fine in a paceline, but I see many more that I wouldn't dare ride with.
Old 05-07-18, 12:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by 1500SLR
There are far too many aggressive heroes in this sport who take their life too seriously. If someone sits up they sit up. If you're a middle aged hero who is trying to prove something be thankful they didn't overwork their heart and drop dead in front of you. In reality its really simple. Get a heart rate monitor and stay out of the red zone. That's for the 1% of races you do where you will push yourself to your limits while sprinting. Training in the anaerobic zone won't make you faster it will just lead to you dying earlier. So, if that means swinging off then do it.

If some old kook is going to give me a lecture for not keeping the pace line when I'm cooked, I'll just give them the middle finger than proceed to go to the back and not take my turn. I will not work with you if you're a dick and I have no rhyme or reason to work with you if you are a dick until you change your attitude. I will feel inclined to sit on the back and wheel suck however.
Hoo boy, this is quite a post. Quite a lot going on here. If you'd read my post, you'd see that I was describing a way to go to the back and sit out the rotation (i.e. wheel suck) without disrupting the flow. Sitting up in a paceline is disruptive enough, but sitting up and swinging out is disruptive and potentially dangerous. At least give an elbow flick, hold your line, and turn your head to make sure you're not taking someone out.

Yes, by all means monitor yourself (whether by HRM, PM, or good old fashioned RPE) so you don't get in over your head in the first place. But the chances are vanishingly small for a healthy rider to drop dead in the middle of a ride because they've gone anaerobic. Even old kooks like me.

As for the never-go-anaerobic training theory, you could not be any more wrong. You could try, but you would not be successful. (But that's a subject for another thread.)
Old 05-07-18, 12:09 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Hoo boy, this is quite a post. Quite a lot going on here. If you'd read my post, you'd see that I was describing a way to go to the back and sit out the rotation (i.e. wheel suck) without disrupting the flow. Sitting up in a paceline is disruptive enough, but sitting up and swinging out is disruptive and potentially dangerous. At least give an elbow flick, hold your line, and turn your head to make sure you're not taking someone out.
I get the feeling that he doesn't do too much riding with fast groups, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-07-18, 12:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by evan326
+1
I've been invited to a few group rides from my local shop, but things like this have kept me shy.
Group rides are, in general, much less contentious than online forums.
Old 05-07-18, 01:04 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Best way to do Charity Rides are in the back. Some of the more perplexing stuff goes on. On year at the Tour of Palm Springs we saw at least 10 crashes. Most of them due to a comfortable arrogance of people that only ride once every few years. The two best were;1) someone not looking where they are going and riding on to the sidewalk and into a sign 2) Two teenage girls taking their arms off the bars to high five only to take each other out and the girl next to them. I normally don't laugh at others misery and I didn't laugh that time because my wife would have killed me if I did...

My biggest issue with this sport in general is the lack of instruction on what on fundamental rules and behavior. The danger is never the group per se but usually the 1 or 2 people in the group that don't understand the basics of riding in a group.

Besides, I go any faster than 12 mph that'll put me over 120 bpm and with a pulse like that I might die.
Old 05-07-18, 01:15 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

Yes, by all means monitor yourself (whether by HRM, PM, or good old fashioned RPE) so you don't get in over your head in the first place. But the chances are vanishingly small for a healthy rider to drop dead in the middle of a ride because they've gone anaerobic. Even old kooks like me.

As for the never-go-anaerobic training theory, you could not be any more wrong. You could try, but you would not be successful. (But that's a subject for another thread.)
I've seen a lot during my years on BF, but today is the first time I've seen someone claim that there's a direct correlation between anaerobic training and early death.
Old 05-07-18, 02:47 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: ‘02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), ‘98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), ‘88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1
I've been invited to a few group rides from my local shop, but things like this have kept me shy.
+1 I find my runnings in with local bike clubs to be pretty negative experiences. No thank you.
Old 05-07-18, 03:35 PM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm honestly afraid of being the a-hole in the group. I'd either get dropped (which I could deal with) or would be going too fast or breaking too many rules.
Old 05-07-18, 03:52 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
I've seen a lot during my years on BF, but today is the first time I've seen someone claim that there's a direct correlation between anaerobic training and early death.
So in short: don't buy upgrades, and don't ride up grades because it will surely bring early death?

Damn, I must have taken 5 years off of my life on that Colorado ride last week.
Old 05-07-18, 04:17 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Standing!
Old 05-07-18, 05:27 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: ‘02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), ‘98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), ‘88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
BF is an interesting place. They always said that spin class was a killer. And don’t get me started on Cross Fit.
Old 05-07-18, 09:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
My original post was not about rules or how fast you go or being an a-hole or anerobic training or heart rate or proving anything or how old anyone is.

It was about being smooth and predictable in a group, that's all. Steady speed, not overlapping wheels... extremely simple stuff.

Really wish everyone would relax.

It's fun to ride in a group and riding with smooth predictable riders is a rare pleasure. In a charity ride he is the guy everyone likes to follow and he makes going fast look almost effortless. Everyone should practice being that smooth, predictable guy others love to ride with. It's easy to do.

Try to transition smoothly from seated to standing without slowing down. Try to ride straight with one hand on the bar, while drinking, while looking behind you, etc (hint: don't drop your shoulder). Watch your HRM/Power/Cadence and try to hold a steady effort/heart rage/power over different grades and cadences.

That's all.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-07-18 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-07-18, 10:42 PM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of that "simple stuff" I've never heard of because I've never ridden with other people. Hence the a hole comment, someone would probably call me one for not knowing some of that.
Old 05-08-18, 12:46 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Isn't all of this a bit much to ask of the populace of a large charity ride?
Agreed. Charity rides are a lot like St. Patrick's Day. As Jimmy Breslin once said.."It's when all the amateurs come out."
Old 05-08-18, 04:26 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A lot of that "simple stuff" I've never heard of because I've never ridden with other people. Hence the a hole comment, someone would probably call me one for not knowing some of that.
We need to remember this. I'd say it takes a few months of intentional practice in order to become sufficiently smooth and reliable that others want to follow one on a consistent basis. It IS simple stuff: how hard can it be to ride straight, right? But it does take some amount of concentration (an ability to look through the eyes in the back of ones head helps), so it's not likely to happen unless people make an effort and decide to ride in such a fashion, and it's not something people can just start doing on demand.
Old 05-08-18, 06:56 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Watch your HRM/Power/Cadence and try to hold a steady effort/heart rage/power over different grades and cadences.
I have a hard time controlling my heart rage.
Old 05-08-18, 07:45 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I too am filled with heart rage. I don't got time to be waiting for the lollygagging of the typical charity rider anyway. I mean, I've done a couple. There are two main groups out there: the ones that hit every SAG stop, and the ones that think there's a prize for getting the ride done as quickly as possible. It is possible to both and enjoy the ride and move at a decent speed. But I pray from the depths of my very own heart rage that I never turn into one of those "we're gonna yell at you" paceline shmucks.
Old 05-08-18, 08:13 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Watch your HRM/Power/Cadence and try to hold a steady effort/heart rage/power over different grades and cadences.
I prefer riders to just learn to pedal with steady power. Some guys get fixated on their bloody Garmins and ignore the road ahead.
Old 05-08-18, 08:14 AM
Samuel D

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I disagree with half of these rules.

Overlapping wheels is often better than the alternatives.

Gratuitous hand signalling and shouting are especially annoying and not to be encouraged. The lead rider should instead ride smoothly around obstacles leaving a wide gap – especially around other cyclists. Too many people try to draft the cyclist they’re passing for a few seconds before swerving wildly and doing the daft sign language.

Obstacles do not include every dimple in the road. More risk is incurred by steering around these and flapping the arms than by ignoring them.

Hands-free riding in a group is sometimes fine and anyway sometimes necessary.

Etc.
Old 05-08-18, 08:20 AM
Bomb Komodo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dude writes a rant/novel about how smooth people need to ride in a giant charity group and then asks everyone to relax when they call him out.

Lol, love the internet.
Old 05-08-18, 12:38 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Yes...

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its a charity ride...you are expecting way more than whats realistic. Lower your expectations and enjoy the ride.
You beat me to it. I've done a few large charity rides, one with thousands of riders. There is no peleton, except for the initial breakaway of fast riders. The vast majority plod along, not really knowing what's going on around them. But it's not a race, so normally all is OK.
Old 05-09-18, 03:51 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Samuel D
Overlapping wheels is often better than the alternatives.
Of course wheels will overlap in the course of passing, but you'll have to describe the situation that makes continuous half-wheeling preferable, because I can't imagine it.
Old 05-09-18, 04:33 AM
Samuel D

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kbarch
Of course wheels will overlap in the course of passing, but you'll have to describe the situation that makes continuous half-wheeling preferable, because I can't imagine it.
Crosswinds.

Changes of pace by the people in front that would otherwise demand significant braking.
Old 05-09-18, 04:58 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crosswinds.

Changes of pace by the people in front that would otherwise demand significant braking.
Yes, in crosswinds offsetting ones position is the thing to do, but I can't imagine that half-wheeling is any more advisable in that case, and if the people in front ride so erratically that "significant braking" is required to deal with changes in pace, half-wheeling seems even less advisable - seems the thing to do is keep back - or away.

But maybe you're thinking of something more like riding along side (but behind).... Yeah, if you're offset much more than an arms-length, even if it's not good practice, it's not as big a deal - offset much more, you may as well be on another planet (which is where many on big group rides are anyhow). But in a pace line it does complicate things for the riders behind a bit. It's nice to have the protection of two, but on less than perfect roads, one wants to follow the best line of a single rider, namely the one in the very front who can see whole road. If the rider immediately in front offsets himself, one has to choose between best line and best draft - or maybe ride over the obstacles the two in front pass on opposite sides.

Last edited by kbarch; 05-09-18 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-09-18, 05:05 AM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Crosswinds.

Without overlapping wheels, there's no way for an experienced and powerful rider to physically push a lesser cyclist up a 12% climb. (Or to steal a sandwich from their pocket)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.