Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Discarded tubes on the shared-use trail

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Discarded tubes on the shared-use trail

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 06:50 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by northtexasbiker
People are the worst
I think the OP is implying Presta people are the worst.
Old 05-24-18, 08:22 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by interceptor
Because people are f'ing ignorant and inconsiderate! Probably how they live at home!
You mean this isn't normal?
Old 05-24-18, 08:26 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
The explanation I've heard? Convenient excuse to say you will collect it and dispose of it on your way back, you just don't want to carry it the entire time. Whether or not that actually happens, I have no clue, but judging on one tree next to an access to an apartment community I ride past I'm either always on the trail with the same dog walker, or they never return.
Just to be clear, this bag wasn't next to the tree. It was hanging from a branch.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-24-18, 08:36 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Just to be clear, this bag wasn't next to the tree. It was hanging from a branch.
Yeah, that is actually what I was referring to. People purposefully hang them around here, not just a chucking, but an actual thought out hanging.
Old 05-24-18, 11:32 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
I think the OP is implying Presta people are the worst.
I wrote that ironically. I pick up bicycle waste on the MUPs all the time. That day's yield, especially on this bit, surprised me. I think Presta-users are more serious; I would hope that they wouldn't litter. Usually I find the sort of tubes Walmart sells.
Old 05-25-18, 05:10 AM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
That might be the idea but often times they "forget". I have seen people comment that that don't want to carry it with them period.
I ride with a colostomy, so I carry my bag of crap under my jersey wherever I go. Jealous, aren't you?
Old 05-25-18, 05:19 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I don't think the vast majority of dog owners leave the bag intentionally, if you're not adverse to picking it up in a bag in the 1st place and are doing so out of consideration of other people, there's absolutely no reason you wouldn't put it in a bin but you also don't really want to carry it with you on a 5 mile walk if you're going past the same spot on your way back anyway ... the ideal answer is more bins but then there's the problem of how do the council get to them to empty them if it's not near a road.

Personally I'm strongly against people leaving any type of rubbish .... if you can carry it with you to where you are there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to carry it back with you, and people chucking rubbish out of car windows are just peasants ..... we live by the beach and the amount of junk left after every sunny weekend is unreal ... even with bins close by!!!
Old 05-25-18, 07:50 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by SJM205

I ride with a colostomy, so I carry my bag of crap under my jersey wherever I go. Jealous, aren't you?
Yeah but at least you don't have to stop mid cycle to take a crap I'd go in for some long distance events you'd probably do OK
Old 05-25-18, 09:42 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Around here the most heavily trafficked bike route (9W between GWB and Nyack), and area roads in general, are MUCH better than they used to be. At the beginning of the post-1999 boom, you used to see energy bar wrappers and all kinds of other detritus pretty frequently. You still see it occasionally now, but not nearly as frequently.

I don't understand it, myself. If you carried it with you, surely it is no more trouble to carry it out.
Old 05-25-18, 10:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Littering is just what the Swiss don't do, but In the US, externalizing a cost, we dump our junk everywhere..

Until busted for doing it.
Old 05-25-18, 10:55 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Sorry to hear of you condition but what on earth does that have to do with people leaving their dog poop bags on a trail?
Old 05-25-18, 11:00 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Littering is just what the Swiss don't do, but In the US, externalizing a cost, we dump our junk everywhere..

Until busted for doing it.
When I was in Italy I saw some of the worst cases of littering I have ever seen anywhere. Perhaps they just don't clean up their roads on a regular basis so it builds up over time. The other thing I found appalling was the amount of graffiti. Not that it doesn't happen here. It is a horrible problem here. But somehow different over there. On beautiful stucco homes where the sun takes years to create those beautiful colors. Something that you just can't clean or paint over.
Old 05-25-18, 12:07 PM
Witterings

Sorry to hear of you condition but what on earth does that have to do with people leaving their dog poop bags on a trail?
Are you / is this comment honestly for real ????
Old 05-25-18, 12:34 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
Are you / is this comment honestly for real ????
Well... what DOES it have to do with people leaving their poop bags on the trail? It's not like he can leave his attached bag behind...
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-25-18, 04:30 PM
Witterings

I have never seen this here but plenty of dog poop bomb bags. That one makes me laugh. People are responsible enough to clean up after the dog but don't go the whole way and take the bag out with them.
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Well... what DOES it have to do with people leaving their poop bags on the trail? It's not like he can leave his attached bag behind...
The original discussion was about tubes left on bike trails .. it was spinnaker who bought up the subject of dog poo bags ... has that got to do with inner tubes ... he then comes out and blatantly criticises someone who takes a line much closer to the subject he bought up (poo bags which had no bearing on the original subject) but then comes back and criticises the person for shifting the topic just as he'd done

Sorry to hear of you condition but what on earth does that have to do with people leaving their dog poop bags on a trail?.
Sounds incredibly hypocritical to me and if you want to chastise people for being off topic I suggest you look at the root of where it started.

I actually take my hat off to SJM 205, he has a medical condition that most people probably wouldn't want, has come in and made a light hearted comment about his condition that I actually thought was humorous and in context (poo bags) with where the theme had gone(thanks to spinnaker) and some complete (censored) criticises him ... they deserve what he's going through ... not him and I'm sure he'll do a swap any day someone offers!

SJM 205 all the very best ... I take my cycling helmet off and raise my water bottle to you !!! ..... If I was sponsored I'd say who it was made by

Last edited by Witterings; 05-25-18 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-26-18, 11:47 AM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't be sorry, my "condition" saved my life and is it really such a stretch from dog poo in bags to people poo in bags? Believe me, I could quite easily leave mine behind if I chose, but I think I'll keep it classy and not get dismissive of other people's conditions.
Old 05-27-18, 09:41 AM
Arthur Peabody

Craig Breedlove, the Des Moines cardiologist/bicyclist, known for riding long distances without stopping, plumbs himself up.
Old 05-27-18, 12:36 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Blatant disregard for our environment like that is so disheartening. The cyclists who left the tubes and cartridges behind ought to be b!tch slapped with those tubes.

I see dog poop bags left everywhere...trails, playgrounds, streets and roads. Those people are jacka$$es. I'd rather they just leave the dog poop lay there instead of discarding yet another piece of plastic into the environment.

Dan
Old 05-27-18, 01:04 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Blatant disregard for our environment like that is so disheartening. The cyclists who left the tubes and cartridges behind ought to be b!tch slapped with those tubes.

I see dog poop bags left everywhere...trails, playgrounds, streets and roads. Those people are jacka$$es. I'd rather they just leave the dog poop lay there instead of discarding yet another piece of plastic into the environment.

Dan
Yes, exactly. Without the plastic bag, it's just organic waste that will easily biodegrade and help fertilize the soil. But being wrapped in plastic is just plain stupid. Why even take plastic bags with you? Just either kick it off the side of the trail into the bushes or something.
Old 05-27-18, 01:15 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Other than crapping all over the place, I've never seen animals litter.

Well, there are the birds that will take whatever they can find to build nests out of
Hey, at least as humans, we don't crap on birds or other animals.
Old 05-27-18, 03:37 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yes, exactly. Without the plastic bag, it's just organic waste that will easily biodegrade and help fertilize the soil. But being wrapped in plastic is just plain stupid. Why even take plastic bags with you? Just either kick it off the side of the trail into the bushes or something.
My sentiments entirely but in the UK it's not legal you have to bag it ... I think it'd b a lot easier to just make sure it was somewhere not in the middle of the path where kids are going to tread etc, thousands of wild of animals leave "trails" behind them ... it's only illegal for dogs ...
I've seen an area outside a primary school though where someone obviously let their dog go everyday as they walked past ... one of the parents got so fed up with it they got those little flags that go in the top of sandcastles but with toxic and skull and crossbones on them like this
https://schaechter.asmblog.org/.m/.a/...8a74970c-popup

They put them next to all the piles of do poo, there were 62 of them, got the local press down and either the dog walked found another route thereafter or decided to clear up after their dog as it stopped overnight.

It's one of those things there is no perfect answer and it'll always be the odd one or two the destroy it for everyone else!!!
Old 05-27-18, 04:31 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I see lots of the dog poop bags on our local trails as well. But it seems to be that almost all of them are left by people on the outward part of their trip and who do pick them up on their return. I hardly ever see the same bags still there the next day. Quite a few use brightly colored bags presumably so they can spot their own more easily when returning.

Of course there may be a few scofflaws who only use the plastic bag in case they're spotted by a ranger or LEO so they can then claim an intent to pick it up later - but I don't think such cases are common in our area.
Old 05-27-18, 10:16 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts

Don't be sorry, my "condition" saved my life and is it really such a stretch from dog poo in bags to people poo in bags? Believe me, I could quite easily leave mine behind if I chose, but I think I'll keep it classy and not get dismissive of other people's conditions.
I just think it's cool that you wont' let anything stop you from being active!! Kudos!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-28-18, 05:47 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Other than crapping all over the place, I've never seen animals litter.

Well, there are the birds that will take whatever they can find to build nests out of
That’s ok, that’s construction of new housing out of discarded found objects. Very trendy and environmentally responsible!
Old 05-28-18, 07:07 AM
Arthur Peabody

I'd rather that dog poop on soil be left to degrade rather than adding a plastic bag to our litter. I'd think that a wax paper bag could do the job and degrade eventually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.