Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

ISO and for trade thread part 5

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

ISO and for trade thread part 5

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-24, 06:35 AM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
Iso rims

No longer looking.

Looking for Italian clinchers for an early 80s build. 32h, preferably not a box rim. Lacing to new hubs so very good condition would be ideal.

Last edited by The_Joe; 03-08-24 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-08-24, 07:41 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Joe
Looking for Italian clinchers for an early 80s build. 32h, preferably not a box rim. Lacing to new hubs so very good condition would be ideal.
This is a long shot, but I have some black Ambrosio Elite rims I'm not using, but they're 36h. That's what we used back in the day ya know.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-08-24, 08:36 AM
The_Joe

Originally Posted by noglider
This is a long shot, but I have some black Ambrosio Elite rims I'm not using, but they're 36h. That's what we used back in the day ya know.
Unfortunately that's part of the problem I've been running into. I've already ordered some new hubs at 32 so 36 won't do it. Surprisingly I found a set of Nisi Mixers in 28, which I thought was odd for the era. And of course the market.is flooded with tubulars. Thank you though.
Old 03-08-24, 09:24 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Unfortunately that's part of the problem I've been running into. I've already ordered some new hubs at 32 so 36 won't do it. Surprisingly I found a set of Nisi Mixers in 28, which I thought was odd for the era. And of course the market.is flooded with tubulars. Thank you though.
Hows the restoration going?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 03-08-24, 11:51 AM
The_Joe

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Hows the restoration going?
Slowly but as expected. I've hesitated to create a real-time build thread because it may well take me a year.
Chemical stripping only got me so far so now I'm going to send out for sandblasting. I did find that the frame was originally chromed on both sides and halfway up the seat stays. Far too rough of a shape to save now but interesting to know. I may try and shine up the face of the dropouts and keep them exposed.
All of the parts have been gathered save for the wheels and pedals. Struggling to decide if I want black or polished rims. My original plan was for a modern 11speed hub with vintage rims. That's looking unlikely so I may just get something that has a retro spirit. The Pacenti Forza Classico is beautiful but pricey. That's about all I've got so far.
Old 03-08-24, 12:02 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Slowly but as expected. I've hesitated to create a real-time build thread because it may well take me a year.
Chemical stripping only got me so far so now I'm going to send out for sandblasting. I did find that the frame was originally chromed on both sides and halfway up the seat stays. Far too rough of a shape to save now but interesting to know. I may try and shine up the face of the dropouts and keep them exposed.
All of the parts have been gathered save for the wheels and pedals. Struggling to decide if I want black or polished rims. My original plan was for a modern 11speed hub with vintage rims. That's looking unlikely so I may just get something that has a retro spirit. The Pacenti Forza Classico is beautiful but pricey. That's about all I've got so far.
I know how slow it can get. But it is in good hands obviously! My Ciocc will likely yield some surprises as well.

Campy Atlantas, Mexicos or Moscows might be cool. But they are also pricey and hard to find.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 03-08-24, 01:21 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
ISO: odd (single) cable clip for 28.6mm tube.
This for the down tube of an Italian step-thru frame and for a friend.
I found a DiaCompe clip that was big, but too big (more like 31mm diameter) so thought I'd ask here.

Brand isn't critical but prefer something not rusty and with its screw/nut (but that's also not critical)

What I can trade is a REG branded "sidesaddle" clip in NOS condition, fits the standard top tube and cable housing would be at about "3 or 9 o'clock" depending on how you orient it...yes same Italian company that made all those water bottles.

UPDATE: got the clip that my friend needed.

Last edited by unworthy1; 03-13-24 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-08-24, 01:33 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
These are new, but not Italian, however with a bit of work the label will peel off and they can be whatever you want them to be. Smiles, MH

I picked these up from my local Co-Op piggybacked on a JB order. 32* 700c clinchers.
Old 03-08-24, 05:02 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 253 Posts
I'm not sure if you would have much luck with a non-box rim from the early 80's. Ambrosio Balance were v-section and came in 32H drilling. And probably 28H. There are currently two of them, new, black, on evilbay, but in Italy and 36H. 50 quid odd plus postage each. There is one new, silver 32H, from France. 30 quid odd plus shipping. Then there were Ambrosio 19 Extra Elite Aero Dynamic. Another option would be Campagnolo Omega Strada V section for clincher tyres (there's also a version for tubular). These are mid / late 80's rims though. And unless you get them NOS, I wouldn't bother. It's not a very good rim.
On the other hand, Ambrosio Elites (other than Aero Dynamic) are more convex than box section. I've seen many people complain about difficulty putting tyres on these, but the secret is to go for 700x25c or wider, if you can.

Personally would highly recommend Abrosio Excellight instead. They are still being manufactured, come in 32H drilling and won't look out of place on a vintage bike. They are sort of box section. Great rims to build on. If short on cash, I'd go for Exal XR2 if you want sort of vintage looking rims or XR3 if you want deep section. Again, might not be easy to put tyres on and again 700x25c advised.

Last edited by VintageSteelEU; 03-08-24 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-08-24, 06:05 PM
The_Joe

Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU

Personally would highly recommend Abrosio Excellight instead. They are still being manufactured, come in 32H drilling and won't look out of place on a vintage bike. They are sort of box section. Great rims to build on. If short on cash, I'd go for Exal XR2 if you want sort of vintage looking rims or XR3 if you want deep section. Again, might not be easy to put tyres on and again 700x25c advised.
I have recently discovered the Ambrosio Excellent and Excellight. They have a unique look without being too boxy or too aero. They also fall not too far from the measurements of Araya CT-19 which are my favorite rim. Not sure which I may pull the trigger on. Tires will be 25c
Old 03-08-24, 06:41 PM
VintageSteelEU

I have recently discovered the Ambrosio Excellent and Excellight. They have a unique look without being too boxy or too aero. They also fall not too far from the measurements of Araya CT-19 which are my favorite rim. Not sure which I may pull the trigger on. Tires will be 25c
I got 2 sets of Excellight and one Excellence a couple of months back. Still have to build one wheelset on Excellight, because one pair had a gap at the joint and had to be replaced (great service from Ambrosio and Cicli Corsa here, no problem getting them replaced). I will probably get a start on that this weekend.
Personally I prefer Excellight, because with Excellence, eyelets do not tend to be as flush with the rim after the build (which, paradoxically, might mean they are actually a better designed rim and the eyelts are doing what they are supposed to be doing) as on the Excellights. The main thing is that after building with various "good condition" vintage rims over the past few years I find that it's always quicker to build on a brand new rim and it is usually cheaper than getting NOS vintage rims (and much easier to source). But yeah, I'm verry happy with them, even if they are not exactly vintage.
Old 03-08-24, 07:05 PM
The_Joe

I got 2 sets of Excellight and one Excellence a couple of months back. Still have to build one wheelset on Excellight, because one pair had a gap at the joint and had to be replaced (great service from Ambrosio and Cicli Corsa here, no problem getting them replaced). I will probably get a start on that this weekend.
Personally I prefer Excellight, because with Excellence, eyelets do not tend to be as flush with the rim after the build (which, paradoxically, might mean they are actually a better designed rim and the eyelts are doing what they are supposed to be doing) as on the Excellights. The main thing is that after building with various "good condition" vintage rims over the past few years I find that it's always quicker to build on a brand new rim and it is usually cheaper than getting NOS vintage rims (and much easier to source). But yeah, I'm verry happy with them, even if they are not exactly vintage.
That settles it then. A new pair of Excellights are on their way to me. Not surprisingly, Ambrosio has terrible distribution in the States. Cicli Corsa had the best price even with the shipping fees. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-09-24, 04:27 AM
VintageSteelEU

That settles it then. A new pair of Excellights are on their way to me. Not surprisingly, Ambrosio has terrible distribution in the States. Cicli Corsa had the best price even with the shipping fees. Thanks for the input.
Their distribution isn't better in the UK. I had to wait additional 20 days or so, because one set of Excellight I wanted was 36H and they were not in stock (these were the ones that turned up with a flaw and I got a replacement for). Additional advantage of them is the weight, they are one of the lightest clincher rims available at around 420g per rim, but at the same time they don't feel like their strength is compromised. Remains to be seen how durable they are, though I got them for my fair weather rides. Whilst they will still be exposed to the abysmal road surface quality in London, they won't be getting much grime on them.

On another note:
I'm looking for a pair of Simplex SLJ downtube shifters wit a clamp / band. I'd be happiest with the 70's version of them. I'm fine if they are not cosmetically perfect, as long as they work and the clamp is not mangled, I can always de-rust, polish etc. For trade I have NOS Shimano SL-6400, 7 speed indexed downtube shifters. Gunmental grey. Braze-on variety, though I do probably have a clamp and suitable washers that will fit (not new, but usable).
I will be rebuilding Motobecane C5 with Huret Success Titane derailleurs and other Moto parts, but I can't bring myself to keep using Huret Success shifters. Just got a pair of Simplex SLJ, so this is no longer necessary. I am always on a lookout for Suntour Sprint ratcheting shifters though, in any version, so happy to trade Shimano ones for that.

Always on a lookout for Suntour hubs (Gyro Master, for example) For trade: Shimano Ultegra 6400 hubset. 36H, good condition.

Last edited by VintageSteelEU; 03-13-24 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-09-24, 05:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
As I remember, 28h was for weight weenies and very prone to breakage. We felt that 36h was necessary for durability (and it probably was). 32h at the time was a middle ground of not much interest.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-13-24, 01:20 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Drop bar conversion on a 1991 GT Karakoram. Thanks to the long top tube I need a shorter, taller stem - either quill or threadless. 1 1/8" steerer. This one I have on now is 110m. Thinking 80mm or 90 mm will be better. If threadless the clamp size for the quill adapter is 25.4. Would prefer 25.4 bar clamp also.

Last edited by scozim; 03-13-24 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-13-24, 02:34 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,752 Times in 1,841 Posts
WTT
Available to trade, trying all the angles
Take one or take all, Local pick-up in San Pedro

List of things I need at the bottom, but If you have any interest in/use for these bikes/frames, please come get them. I will also except 1 six pack of adult beverages or a "thanks, I will put these to use" as a trade

Peugeot US Express - bike/project 22"

Schwinn Prelude - Frame & bits, Stem and seat post stuck!, Wheels not included

Raleigh mixte - frame 19.5" - I have a stem and bars for this I would sell cheap, as well

Miyata 110 - frame 23"

Shogun Prairie Breaker Pro - Frame 22" Also has a stuck neck!

Edit: the list, I forgot to post:

Things I need:
Tools:
T.A. Specialites Crank Puller
Sugino Bottom bracket wrench - tool set (ideally) or other brand
Park tool freewheel 1.3 or better version?
Park Tool - PCS-4-1 Part #7 928A Upright sleeve assembly $15.09
Headset wrench(es)
Proofhide

Parts:
94 BCD 5 hole chainring 42-46 tooth for a Deore LX crank
Deore XT rear derailleur RD-M700 "Deer head"
Deore light action thumb shifter (right 7 speed) or just a cover plate - for MB-2
Deore - thumb shifter set, 7-spd, to replace broken DX trigger shifters
Brooks saddles B-17 (brown or black) or other similar shape brooks - any age/decent condition
Dura-ace EX crank convertor ( to allow use of normal sized pedals)
Shimano 600 headset top-nut or other similar - for Canyon Express
Gold Araya 700c front wheel
700c tubes
26" tubes
cables (can always use more)
Bar tape - something that would go on a brown/gold Centurion RS elite

Last edited by SoCaled; 03-26-24 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-15-24, 06:49 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Simplex SLJ short inner cage

Looking for the inner alloy cage part for a Simplex SLJ short-cage rear derailleur (SLJ 5000, though I'm pretty sure the inner cage was more or less the same for all the SLJ short-cage RDs..). Currently have a steel Prestige inner cage doing the job, but wouldn't mind having the right one... as long as it doesn't require a mortgage to acquire.
Old 03-16-24, 05:01 PM
VintageSteelEU

The search for Simplex SLJ shifters is over, the search for decent French hubs with English thread is over too. Now I'm looking for two things:
1. Suntour front derailleurs cable stop. People who use certain Suntour FDs will know exactly what I'm talking about. People who did not have experience with Suntour FDs; Suntour used removable cable stop on some of their front derailleurs. As it was removable, it frequently is missing on second hand derailleurs out there. Can be seen in the third photo here.
I'd be happy with a whole busted derailleur which still has the cable stop. I can trade Shimano 105 (1056, I think, would have to double check) mini gruppo for it. Got also NOS Suntour Compe-V FD, various downtube shifters and other things.
It's not something that is crucial, because eventually the frame this is going on is going to get gear cable guide brazed on the BB shell, but until this happens, I'll have to use downtube cable guide and that would require FD to have a cable stop as well.
2. Swiss threaded, drive side Sugino or Sakae Ringyo bottom bracket cup. I'm not fussy about the cosmetics, as long as the inside of the cup is decent. Sugino one would have marking like 35xP1, SR one would have SR-SC.L and 35xP1. The 35 number is the important bit, not so much the markings, the cup has to screw in anti-clockwise.
Happy to trade other BBs for that cup, or perhaps some nice hub, got plenty of useable and not necessarily common.
Old 03-16-24, 05:39 PM
Mad Honk 

I'm not sure about these but they seem to have the 35 size designation. French or Swiss I'm not sure about. But they are here if you want them. Smiles, MH

The chrome makes a picture difficult so here are two shots.

Again chrome is a problem for a good picture.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 03-17-24, 05:00 AM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I'm not sure about these but they seem to have the 35 size designation. French or Swiss I'm not sure about. But they are here if you want them. Smiles, MH

The chrome makes a picture difficult so here are two shots.

Again chrome is a problem for a good picture.
PM sent
Old 03-17-24, 01:41 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
1. Suntour front derailleurs cable stop. .
I know what you mean, I have several of those front mechs, and at least one is missing the stop.
They'd be simple to make, one was on the (long) list, but I am still away from the workshop until April.
If you get no replies before then, pm me.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 03-17-24, 04:15 PM
Mad Honk 

VintageSteelEU
Why do I see my parts stash being shipped over to the EU?

Special cable part for Suntour front derailleur.

And special ratcheting Suntour shift levers.
Old 03-17-24, 06:07 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
VintageSteelEU
Why do I see my parts stash being shipped over to the EU?

Special cable part for Suntour front derailleur.

And special ratcheting Suntour shift levers.
Alas, not the EU anymore Thank you very much, nevertheless. One cable stop would go on my commuting bicycle when I convert it to Sprint Another one means I might be able to complete a Blue Line derailleur set and build up some mixte frame with it for a friend. So she can ditch the heavy and clunky Viking and switch to something more pleasant to ride.
Old 03-17-24, 10:03 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
FOUND!
ISO: Nice quality 27" fork with a generous amount of steer tube for a ~62cm bike.
Thanks all!
Phil

Last edited by PhilFo; 03-26-24 at 06:33 AM. Reason: NLR
Old 03-18-24, 09:22 AM
Iowegian

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I have a fork from an mid-80's Cannondale ST500. It's either a 1984 or 1985 but the frame is gone and I can't remember now. The fork is made for 27" wheels, has double eyelets, is steel with a sloping fork crown and has decent but not great brown paint. You can find a catalog here: https://vintagecannondale.com/year/1985/1985.pdf

Some photos are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dTF1nwPE3MQ3yFKR9

$40 plus shipping from 80301

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.