Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Vancouver's holier-than-thou cyclists

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 11:09 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts

As you’ve likely witnessed, there were way too many conflicts between drivers and riders; drivers often thinking that cyclists were taking wild liberties, straddling the benefits of both cars and pedestrians; that cyclists generally peddle a better-than-everybody-else attitude.

Some cyclists of course think of drivers as clueless slaves to the oil industry, wasting their lives in traffic jams, while cyclists joyfully pedal by, wind in their helmets.

To my disappointment, the anger that often gears up between cyclists and drivers has somehow shifted over to the bike routes when there’s often nary a car in sight..........
https://www.vancourier.com/community...one-1.23421982

lol.......
https://www.vancourier.com/community...dly-1.23433594
Old 09-21-18, 11:39 PM
jan230
Old Rider

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 78 Posts
LOL indeed....
One Mayoral Candidate (so far ) is running on an anti cycling platform.
The wind in our hair may be shifting.
Jan
https://www.straight.com/news/109365...snt-bike-lanes
Old 09-22-18, 07:26 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
What anti-cyclists can't envision is that if all those bike lanes disappear, all those cyclists will be surrounding all those motorists and some of them will be in cars too.
Old 09-22-18, 12:02 PM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Never challenge North American car culture. It is sacred to the masses. It is the cornerstone of urban heritage for the majority of our population. Sigh.
Old 09-23-18, 06:10 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
We've all seen self-centered cyclists behaving like this. It's unfortunate that we're all judged by their behaviour.
Old 09-23-18, 07:13 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
In an area with a lot of cyclists, some of them are going to be jerks. Any collection of humans is going to have a percentage of such folks.
Old 09-23-18, 12:42 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I thought the general sentiment of the article is good; asking cyclists to be more considerate of others.

I thought the title only serves to create more animosity by giving cycle haters more fuel to feed their POV. The offending cyclists are garden variety jerks and using such terminology as "holier than thou" doesn't really fit. If the goal was to effect change, it is far easier to say: "stop acting like a jerk" than to say: "stop acting holier than thou". The second only opens the door to protracted arguing about cyclist vs pedestrian rights and the co responding self justifications. It's hard to argue pro jerk.

I disliked the way the author chose to speak about hipsters etc... It seemed a cheap shot to better his stance by putting down an easily identifiable sub group. If he had just described them as cyclists it would have given their actions more force instead of suggesting it had something to do with the genre. It left me visualizing the author as a bit "holier than thou" which I am sure, was not his intent. It suggests a sub theme that they are, the way they are, because of their genre which the author is not a part of so he (of course) isn't like them.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-23-18 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 09:55 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
The streets mentioned in the articles - I used these daily for years. The picture in the first article: I've personally passed this spot well over 1,000 times.

The good news is that there are steady stream of cyclists using this route going to and from work. Very busy early summer mornings and at 5pm on the return. The bad news is that there increasing numbers of dangerous interactions between cyclists and pedestrians and cyclists and each other.

Riding this bike route last week I witnessed a young guy on a BMX bike come from the side and blow through a stop sign right in front of me and a car that was travelling beside me. The car honked, at which point the helmetless rider in dark clothing and a hoody (dusk conditions), didn't even look, flipped the driver the finger and kept on going. Well, the driver was a police cruiser with 2 officers, who stopped for a few seconds, and then took off in hot pursuit. I saw enough of their cockpit, that they had a dash cam, and were replaying the incident for identification.

The solution to the problems mentioned in the article is vigorously enforced laws. Zero tolerance for light/stop sign violations, signaling rules, and all other laws. This will weed out the 2% problem riders. Road rule enforcement will have the added benefit of scooping up the cohort of lowlifes who courier and sell drugs in this area.
Old 09-25-18, 08:09 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by jan230
LOL indeed....
One Mayoral Candidate (so far ) is running on an anti cycling platform.
The wind in our hair may be shifting.
Jan
https://www.straight.com/news/109365...snt-bike-lanes
And this is why it is important for all of us to be good ambassadors for cycling. The brother of my former anti-cycling mayor is now the premier of my province and could easily pass a law that massively restricts cycling.

Last edited by OBoile; 09-25-18 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-25-18, 01:25 PM
Tpcorr

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sure most of you have seen this clip, but it never fails to make me smile.

Old 09-30-18, 11:47 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
That guy had too much coffee.
Old 10-04-18, 11:46 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Anti-cyclists don't realize the idea that was on the back of a Seattle bike store's jerseys years ago--"One More Parking Space." In Vancouver BC (hell, in Vancouver WA!) that ought to be the easiest sell in the book.