Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Worried about my tire getting punctured

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Worried about my tire getting punctured

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 05:42 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That doesn't have to be a big deal. On a tubed tires, a dollar bill will work just fine as a boot you get you home. Then glue on a patch of sturdy fabric. (Real sailcloth from a sailmaker is excellent. Ask for fabric for small dinghy sails.) Glue an oversized patch on with contractor's contact cement. Replace tire at the usual time (ie your definition of "dead").

I make it a point to always have at least 5 bills (of any domination) in my cycling wallet. It is impressive how big a casing rip can be ridden with enough bills and all I've used have survived, then spent. (One trick, seat the bill ends under the beads on both sides to resist pressure and bulging out the cut.)
I just threw a new tube in it and blew it up, the trick is to unscrew the screw out, the hole is minimal. I do bring some duct tape wrapped on a pen when I go on long rides.

Last edited by wheelreason; 03-27-24 at 05:46 PM.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 03-30-24, 03:50 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
This was from today's ride. I could not fix on the road as I could not get the screw out. Once I made the call of shame and got home, I took the screw out, realized it went through my 5 month old wheel. Tire is shot, rim strip is shot, wheel is luckily warranted under the no questions asked 1 yr warranty, ... so I will only be out $100 unless I can boot the tire, but I might just feel better with a new tire, not sure yet. It just happens and you move on. It would have been far worse if I had to buy a new wheel, but I still would have bought a new wheel. I know the risk, and just move forward.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-31-24, 05:19 AM
Alex Reed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you, Sir, for your Information. I'm sure that your information will be helpful to me.
Old 03-31-24, 05:52 AM
cyclomath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Hey, I have a funny picture too! It's from the last summer, on my way home from work. I actually patched this tube on the spot, because the day before I had a flat too, used the spare tube and then forgot to replace it or patch the punctured one at home before going to work the next day. Because it can't possibly happen two days in a row, right?
The tire was shot, as were the mudguard holders (wire). But I got pictures to show (off)!

Likes For cyclomath:
Old 03-31-24, 07:32 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
my best advise is to realize flats can happen for a variety of reasons, be prepared by having the necessary stuff on your bike to deal with a flat and the knowledge of how to fix a flat
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 04-01-24, 08:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
This was from today's ride. I could not fix on the road as I could not get the screw out. Once I made the call of shame and got home, I took the screw out, realized it went through my 5 month old wheel. Tire is shot, rim strip is shot, wheel is luckily warranted under the no questions asked 1 yr warranty, ... so I will only be out $100 unless I can boot the tire, but I might just feel better with a new tire, not sure yet. It just happens and you move on. It would have been far worse if I had to buy a new wheel, but I still would have bought a new wheel. I know the risk, and just move forward.

Partly because I'm cheap, and partly because it's worked for me in the past:

Get some Tyvek from old FedEx or USPS envelopes, or new home construction in your area. Cut a small square, 1-1.5" square. Glue it to the inside of the tire over the screw hole with your favorite tire-fixing glue, let it dry. Install it on your new wheel with new rim strip (although I've never done that part!) and patched tube, then ride off into the sunset. I'm riding a tire now that's had that on for 500-1,000 miles, and I'd forgotten about it until I had another flat yesterday.
Old 04-01-24, 10:50 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,645 Times in 2,923 Posts
When riding on city streets, if possible, I try to stay away from curb where all the debris typically collects. This goes for bike lanes as well. Using Varia radar, I can ride more in the car lane where the vehicle tires tend to clean or sweep the debris. Without Varia, or a helmet mirror, this would be a PITA.

I also have been riding tubeless with good quality tires for three years and only been stopped once with a sidewall cut requiring a tube and tire boot. (Average annual mileage is 5,000) I did ride 3 miles home with a roofing nail in my rear tire which the sealant managed to take care of, only losing 5 psi. When home, I pulled the nail, plugged the tire and road it another 1,500 miles.

Also learn to sweep your tires (correctly!) with your hand - preferably gloved- if you have to ride through glass. But there is no substitute for riding away from the curb, proper tire inflation, being vigilant, having good puncture resistant tires (Like GP 5000s) and tire sweeping. All of the above have served me well.

Old 04-01-24, 11:06 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Partly because I'm cheap, and partly because it's worked for me in the past:

Get some Tyvek from old FedEx or USPS envelopes, or new home construction in your area. Cut a small square, 1-1.5" square. Glue it to the inside of the tire over the screw hole with your favorite tire-fixing glue, let it dry. Install it on your new wheel with new rim strip (although I've never done that part!) and patched tube, then ride off into the sunset. I'm riding a tire now that's had that on for 500-1,000 miles, and I'd forgotten about it until I had another flat yesterday.
If I was running tubed, I would be ok based on the what the tire looks like inside, but I wont run it tubeless even with plug. It is a pretty good size hole and I just don't trust it holding. But I am going to put some sort of patch in it so I could use it tubed on another bike. A buddy of mine has some larger plugs and going to try those first.

Old 04-01-24, 11:10 AM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by rsbob
When riding on city streets, if possible, I try to stay away from curb where all the debris typically collects. This goes for bike lanes as well. Using Varia radar, I can ride more in the car lane where the vehicle tires tend to clean or sweep the debris. Without Varia, or a helmet mirror, this would be a PITA.

I also have been riding tubeless with good quality tires for three years and only been stopped once with a sidewall cut requiring a tube and tire boot. (Average annual mileage is 5,000) I did ride 3 miles home with a roofing nail in my rear tire which the sealant managed to take care of, only losing 5 psi. When home, I pulled the nail, plugged the tire and road it another 1,500 miles.

Also learn to sweep your tires (correctly!) with your hand - preferably gloved- if you have to ride through glass. But there is no substitute for riding away from the curb, proper tire inflation, being vigilant, having good puncture resistant tires (Like GP 5000s) and tire sweeping. All of the above have served me well.
I have a small piece of old panty hose my wife was throwing away that I use to sweep the tire, as it will definitely catch any thing in the tire.

Likes For jaxgtr: