Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

More violent thoughts from cagers...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 11:36 AM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of my co-worker's friends posted this a little while ago. I don't know any of these people, although my co-worker "liked" the image (and or comments that followed) he posted. He knows I commute by bike, so it kinda makes me wonder. Anyway, it's more of a reminder as to the thought process of the ignorant masses:

(NSFW - language)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Untitled.jpg (86.6 KB, 491 views)

Last edited by CbadRider; 05-11-12 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added NSFW
Old 05-10-12, 12:17 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
is he waiting to turn? if so seems silly to get pissed at him. though i would have likely hopped the median and scooted over and away while all the traffic sat. wonder if that would have pissed the poster off more.
Old 05-10-12, 12:24 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Some people find bikes annoying. A lot of people aren't terribly bright and write about their frustrations in the anonymous sanctuary of the net. There is no point in getting upset about this...and very of these people are going to do anything other than whine on the internet. There are people who don't like us, we all know it.

There are three kinds of people who post about ANYTHING on the internet...one group who loves, one group who hates it and one group that wants to have sex with it.
Old 05-10-12, 12:54 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I went for a ride up the Mount Baker Highway on Saturday - 3,300 feet of elevation gain in 16 miles. I was surprised how many drivers stopped to congratulate me. People were driving down the mountain, and would actually stop their car, roll down the window, and tell me how surprised they were that someone was about to make it to the top "on a BIKE!"

It was pretty gratifying.
Old 05-10-12, 01:11 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I stopped at a red light Monday, taking the lane in order to turn left. I stopped my bike as close to the middle line as possible, so drivers could go around me. I hand signaled my turn the whole time. When I had to wait for oncoming traffic to clear before I could turn left, the driver behind me went absolutely ballistic. He drove right up behind my rear tire, rolled down his window, and started yelling obscenities at me. The usual stuff. Lots of swearing. Lots of "Get the **** off the road!!! Get on the sidewalk where you belong!!!!!"

I turned around and gave him the finger. As he passed frightfully close to me, I told the redneck to go get a drivers license. The world is full of jerks, the number increasing rapidly as more cars are produced.
Old 05-10-12, 01:16 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
That was on the Facebook right? (I don't have a facebook, but i"m pretty sure I know what it looks like.)

The Facebook is the The Walmart of the internet. What would you expect?
Old 05-10-12, 01:31 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Some people find bikes annoying. A lot of people aren't terribly bright and write about their frustrations in the anonymous sanctuary of the net. There is no point in getting upset about this...and very of these people are going to do anything other than whine on the internet. There are people who don't like us, we all know it.

There are three kinds of people who post about ANYTHING on the internet...one group who loves, one group who hates it and one group that wants to have sex with it.

That's the crux of it. You can expect a similar series of comments in practically any online news site that allows anonymous comments. I do my best to avoid reading those sections.
Old 05-10-12, 02:05 PM
sdvictor
Ride the Santa Cruz Mtns!

Bikes: Felt Curbside, Cervelo R3 Rival, Specialized Tarmac Pro SL4 Ultegra Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember, this is America; where "The Real Housewives", "Jersey Shore", Katy Perry and the act of showboating (Kardashians, anyone?) are all popular.

You guys honestly expect intelligent respectable discourse? Narcissism and Stupidity are dangerous when mixed together.
Old 05-10-12, 02:12 PM
TheTreauth

Bikes: 2011 Giant Rapid 3, 2001 Schwinn Mesa GSX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
That was on the Facebook right? (I don't have a facebook, but i"m pretty sure I know what it looks like.)

This is one of the best things I've ever read.
Old 05-10-12, 02:22 PM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is the most arousing thing that I've heard all day.
Old 05-10-12, 02:59 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
follow the rules of the road, and they threaten to kill you. Don't follow the rules of the road, and they use it as an excuse to kill you. It really is a no-win situation, and I long ago gave up trying to stay out of their way in order to make them happy. All I can do is ride my bike like I drive my car and hope that the idiots are at home busy commenting on the internet.
Old 05-10-12, 03:09 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTreauth
That's great, it hits the nail right on the head.
Old 05-10-12, 03:21 PM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You just made my day even better. I will have to use that line too.
Old 05-10-12, 03:22 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Maybe your Facebook is the Walmart of the internet. Mine is not. Facebook is your "friends". If people in your friends list are idiots, Facebook will look like a lot of idiots. If your friends are intelligent, Facebook will look like a bunch of smart people. Every once in a while I get a little bleed over from the other side, but in general, Facebook is a pleasant experience for me. I've found that most people that say they hate Facebook actually hate their friends, but FB gets the blame.
Old 05-10-12, 03:42 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
follow the rules of the road, and they threaten to kill you. Don't follow the rules of the road, and they use it as an excuse to kill you.
This is what really gets me.
Old 05-10-12, 05:21 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL True!
Old 05-10-12, 05:42 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I have a left turn that I usually take on my ride back from the shop that has a left turning signal after the green light.

On one occasion I was in the intersection waiting for the turn signal and was far enough out that the car behind me could have pulled up behind to make a left (there is room for two cars to wait here) but the car behind me decided to wait at the stop line.

I got the turn signal and the woman behind me delayed her turn long enough that she got tagged by the camera and when she pulled alongside me in the left lane let loose with the expletives and told me I just cost her a ticket and that I was "slowing her down".

My next turn was half a mile ahead and I carried on and as I waiting to make my right turn this lady caught up to me at the intersection... and since her window was down I told her she needed a better car so she could keep up with me.

When I come to intersections and am travelling through in a lane that also allows for a right turn I position myself forward and left to allow motorists to turn behind me but do not leave enough room for them to pass me on the right. I have lost count of the drivers who have rolled down their windows to say "thank you".
Old 05-10-12, 06:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
there is one section of my commute where I take the road instead of the sidewalk/bike path next to it. I have had way too many near misses on the bike path to even think about it. I'm pretty sure people don't like it. The thing is, that section of road always infuriates me when I'm in my car. The light cycles are short, and there is always someone turning that drives through at very low speed because they are going to turn -- right after they make 10 cars behind them miss the next light. When I'm there on my bike, those people drive faster so they don't get passed by me on my bike. I see it as providing a public service.
Old 05-10-12, 07:26 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I went for a ride up the Mount Baker Highway on Saturday - 3,300 feet of elevation gain in 16 miles. I was surprised how many drivers stopped to congratulate me. People were driving down the mountain, and would actually stop their car, roll down the window, and tell me how surprised they were that someone was about to make it to the top "on a BIKE!"

It was pretty gratifying.
So you are talking 4% grade. Good job.
Old 05-10-12, 08:05 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From that photo, if the car in front had moved over to the left, the cyclist could actually stop alongside the car's right so when they both turn, the cyclist can turn and not be in anyone's way. So basically, it's the driver up front that doesn't know how to position himself in the lane. As for kicking anyone's ass, I noticed no one volunteered to do it themselves so I guess that means they're too fat to lift their leg up high enough to kick anything.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 05-10-12, 08:41 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Where's the damn Like button?
Old 05-10-12, 08:58 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rex_kramer
One of my co-worker's friends posted this a little while ago. I don't know any of these people, although my co-worker "liked" the image (and or comments that followed) he posted. He knows I commute by bike, so it kinda makes me wonder. Anyway, it's more of a reminder as to the thought process of the ignorant masses:

The ignorant masses HAVE no thought processes; they have opinion processes, usually baseless.

Yup, internet balls; I like to 'teabag' these types.

Originally Posted by sdvictor
Remember, this is America; where "The Real Housewives", "Jersey Shore", Katy Perry and the act of showboating (Kardashians, anyone?) are all popular.

You guys honestly expect intelligent respectable discourse? Narcissism and Stupidity are dangerous when mixed together.
It's one of the funniest concepts out there -- the show of narcissism from a wedge of the public that can't SPELL it! I salute you, sir, for pointing out the irony of the decade!
Old 05-11-12, 09:40 AM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheTreauth
+1
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 05-11-12, 10:14 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Chicago
is he waiting to turn? if so seems silly to get pissed at him. though i would have likely hopped the median and scooted over and away while all the traffic sat. wonder if that would have pissed the poster off more.
I don't see that it is a raised median but even if it is... why would you want to do something as dangerous as that? Equally dumb is sitting behind a line of stopped traffic like a motorcycle. I would have filtered up the line of traffic to the actual intersection. There would be no doubt as to my intent to turn left. I would also be positioned to the left of the lead car at the intersection, that way, if he wants to blast off the line when he gets the green, he can, and so can anyone else who's feeling frisky. I can take the turn in my own good time. I might also position myself to the right of the cars turning left if the turn is into a two lane and I don't want to have to fight my way over to the right after completing the turn. Some of you still don't get it. A bicycle is not a motor vehicle. You were lied to. The reality plays out everyday where it counts. This is the wrong picture to use as an argument for vehicular cycling. IMO the rider, as pictured, is riding like an a$$ and (also IMO) is deserving of whatever salty comments, short of violence, that come his way.

H
Old 05-11-12, 10:20 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I don't see that it is a raised median but even if it is... why would you want to do something as dangerous as that? Equally dumb is sitting behind a line of stopped traffic like a motorcycle. I would have filtered up the line of traffic to the actual intersection. There would be no doubt as to my intent to turn left. I would also be positioned to the left of the lead car at the intersection, that way, if he wants to blast off the line when he gets the green, he can, and so can anyone else who's feeling frisky. I can take the turn in my own good time. I might also position myself to the right of the cars turning left if the turn is into a two lane and I don't want to have to fight my way over to the right after completing the turn. Some of you still don't get it. A bicycle is not a motor vehicle. You were lied to. The reality plays out everyday where it counts. This is the wrong picture to use as an argument for vehicular cycling. IMO the rider, as pictured, is riding like an a$$ and (also IMO) is deserving of whatever salty comments, short of violence, that come his way.

H
I don't even know where to start with this. The rider is completely in the right. Filtering through cars is a good way to confuse people and end up in their blind spots. In the end, whichever method one chooses, it will enrage drivers.

Last edited by walnutz; 05-11-12 at 10:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.