Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 02:57 PM
IntoThickAir
Biking to the Pits

Bikes: 1991 Rock 'n Road with two wheel sets, 1980 Univega Viva Sport with TA triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although it was 56 at sunrise in Tucson, the temp had climbed to 86 by the time I rode one mile to work. The morning cool lingeried in the shade of mesquite and eucalyptus. The shadows were long, and I thought: summer's over.
Old 10-07-08, 04:59 PM
envane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
COMMUTE OF THE YEAR!

60 degrees, medium rain, 20 mph tailwind. Cruised down the path at an easy 25 mph. Met up with some other random commuter guy and we talked and rode together a while. Didn't go any faster because I was scared to under the conditions. Totally fun, and a nice bookend to a ride at the begining of the year, which had the same conditions except it was a 20 mph headwind.
Old 10-07-08, 05:05 PM
delman

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
This morning it was in the low 70's but really humid here but there was a strong northwest wind which was tough but I loved it going home and I ended up just riding with traffic some where around 30-35 mph on my mtb (18-25mph tail wind helped). First time when I had wished my gearing went a little lower. Plus there were some people walking the wrong direction in the bike lane. I enjoyed it. Looking forward to tomorrow though.

Old 10-07-08, 08:09 PM
robinthehippie
that strange guy

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Nishiki Century (frame only for now), Costco mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalchef87
Beautiful day. Rode 30 miles, then my legs gave out....I literally couldn't pump any more...I was so mad/embarrassed that I had to call my wife to come get me...this is the most that I have ridden in one sitting so far...I kinda feel like crap, I think I might have over exerted myself...but I'll rest tonight and see how I feel tomorrow.
I was almost there on a 7.5 mile ride home tonight, I hate that. Hope you feel bettr, here's to better luck tomorrow!

I came as close to bonking as I ever have. I decided to actually do some work on the ride home since I'd been taking it easy, getting over a cold. I didn't take in to account that fact that I haven't been eating as much as usual the past couple days including today. I was keeping a quick pace and felt good for most of the ride. About three miles away I thought, "I'm really tired, I better get home so I can eat!" A couple blocks later I stood on the pedals at a stop sign and my arms and legs were shaking, so I coasted down to the store. I got off my bike and felt like I was going to pass out. I stumbled in to the store, grabbed an OJ and a sandwich ($7.00!!), then sat at the picnic table outside and devoured my dinner. Much better now.
Old 10-07-08, 08:11 PM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm running out of daylight. The sun was disappearing behind the mountains as I rode home down the MUP. I'm guessing I have three to four weeks of daylight at best. Then it'll be dark on the way in and the way home (I work 0600-1800), and that will be a little bit of a bummer.

Good ride, though. Lots of friendly people. A few good dogs. I got a friendly hello from another bike commuter on a nice Specialized road bike.

I've noticed myself going really fast on the way home. Maybe I have to work out more stress than I realize.
Old 10-07-08, 08:33 PM
slloth

Bikes: '72 peugeot PX10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by metalchef87
Beautiful day. Rode 30 miles, then my legs gave out....I literally couldn't pump any more...I was so mad/embarrassed that I had to call my wife to come get me...this is the most that I have ridden in one sitting so far...I kinda feel like crap, I think I might have over exerted myself...but I'll rest tonight and see how I feel tomorrow.
Don't do that! Take it easy. Pace your self. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Old 10-07-08, 08:36 PM
slloth

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had an awesome commute both ways! Went a little out of my way on the way home to buy a good beer for the debates. Rode home with another random commuter for a block! I was excited. He had a bad ass fixed gear Italian bike with a sweet set up. Great commute. I am now going to try to re dish my rear wheel after a couple beers!
Old 10-07-08, 09:14 PM
trombone
<user defined text>

Bikes: 80's peugeot. Somewhat knackered. Lovely new Salsa Casseroll singlespeed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The clocks went forward! This means I now ride home in the light. Much nicer.

And warmer, too. It was 35C in Sydney the other day, although it's gone cooler again now the sun is still shining.
Old 10-07-08, 09:28 PM
emperorcezar
Large and in charge

Bikes: At one point it was a Trek 700 something. Now it have Velocity Psycho wheels, a tape job. Thumb shifters (Shimano Deore). Corncob grouping, and drop bar ends all wrapped up in tape.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nothing out of the ordinary this morning. The weather said few showers for my commute home so I didn't worry. What actually happened was torrential rain. My pants got soaked, but I was ok under my poncho. I do hope my shoes dry out before tomorrow.
Old 10-07-08, 10:40 PM
DavidW56

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool and clear at 44 degrees this morning in Dearborn. I wore several layers that I want OFF by the end of my three miles. Homeward at 6:00-ish, breezier and feeling cooler than the morning even though it was 62. Wore jeans and regretted it halfway home; should have worn shorts. How can I get so warm in such a short distance, you ask? I'm over 50 years old, I'm 20 pounds overweight, and I'm pedalling a 45-pound Schwinn Suburban in the city, that's how. But I'm looking forward to doing it all over again tomorrow.
Old 10-07-08, 10:55 PM
slloth

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DavidW56
But I'm looking forward to doing it all over again tomorrow.
That is all that matters
Old 10-08-08, 06:43 AM
FredOak
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chilly this morning (40) but this afternoon is suppose to be up to almost 70, but they say it might rain, so I brought all the combinations I could think of in clothing, typical Buffalo wait 10 minutes and the weather will do a 90 degree turn.
Old 10-08-08, 07:05 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pretty smooth, which was a big step up from yesterday. Not much traffic at all, the weather was overcast so a good riding temperature. I placed a complaint with the city about these overgrown bushes that clip me everyday on my commute. I got a generic response saying that the issue I reported will be addressed within 14 days. I'm skeptical, but we'll see. The rain clouds are looking pretty menacing right now, so it looks like I'm going to get wet on the ride home.
Old 10-08-08, 07:35 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going on my 5th year of bike commuting to work. The ride has been expanded from 22 miles round trip to 30 miles round trip. By sometime in the year 2010 work will be moving to another location. My RT will be 44 miles.

Anyway, this morning, it was rather cool--somewhere in the mid 40's F. I saw no other bike commuters. This is not surprising since most seem to be fair-weather riders only.

This is the coolest it's been in a while. I overdressed--not by much, but enough to create more of a sweat than I appreciated.

The ride was uneventful and slower than usual--I guess because I wanted to slow perspiration and because I was wearing more and heavier/baggier clothing.
Old 10-08-08, 07:44 AM
kgriffioen
Go Leafs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday's ride home was my first ride in the rain. The temp was in the upper 50's so it wasn't all that bad. The only problem was the car that didn't give me the right of way at an intersection and forced me to swerve and jump to the sidewalk. No harm but it did freak me out a bit. And yes it was still light out and yes I did have my strobe light on and yes I was wearing my neon yellow safety vest. Saw a deer on the path again. Tomorrow is a golfing day so no ride in unless someone has a suggestion on how to lug around a set of golf clubs.
Old 10-08-08, 07:44 AM
Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warmer than yesterday, here, as well. Allegedly, rain impending, yeah, right. Took it easy on the way in after yesterday's small scare. Didn't see any other commuters, saw a roadie, though.
Old 10-08-08, 07:48 AM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy to report I finally got the cojones up to ride clipless to work....nothing bad happened.
Old 10-08-08, 07:56 AM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wwwwwiiiiiiiinnnnnnnddddddddyyyyyy
Old 10-08-08, 08:04 AM
DCvision

Bikes: Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
I placed a complaint with the city about these overgrown bushes that clip me everyday on my commute. I got a generic response saying that the issue I reported will be addressed within 14 days.
curious about your route SouthFLpix, maybe I'll pass you one of these days!
Old 10-08-08, 08:15 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dodged a windy bullet on the way home last night. We were experiencing sustained 60 km/h winds around noon out of the West. I work on the 32nd floor and saw plastic bags, horizontal rain and an unattended child whizzing by the window. By the time I rode home, the sun was out and the wind had been cut in half.

The ride in today was calm, and warmer than I expected. I need to remember to grease and oil my bike this weekend, plus dig out all my cold-weather bike gear. It's getting a little frosty out...
Old 10-08-08, 08:43 AM
grant23
Greybeard

Bikes: Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
42F and clear. 10 miles along the Boise river at 05:30 is a nice start to the morning.
Old 10-08-08, 09:12 AM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very little wind, 56 degrees with an added bonus. I've always crossed a major highway with traffic, so I never knew if the sensors would work from my bike alone. Well, today, there were no cars coming, I rode over the the sensors, and the light changed! Life is good!
Old 10-08-08, 10:38 AM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been away from BF for several months now (busy at work, stress, etc.), but I'm back.

Started a new job (same company) last week. My already-short commute is now even shorter. I'm looking at ways to add on a little more distance.

Hope you've all been well.
Old 10-08-08, 11:08 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I would say cold. Full-finger gloves would have been good. 39F apparently.

And, oh yes, foggy.

Experimenting w/ headlight down on forkblade since I can't think of any other way to get it to see around the handlebar bag (which I just took off for last year's headlight season). I was never really aware of its value for being seen, and right now I'm not necessarily threatened by its absence from up high but I am wondering about that more and more.
Old 10-08-08, 11:33 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yelled at a teenager riding on the sidewalk. Told him to ride in the street like a big boy, but I doubt he heard me. He had the hood of his sweatshirt up and I suspect he was listening to his damn iPod.

(See, this what I get for listening to McCain for 90 minutes last night. Now I'm a cranky old man too!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.