Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My girlfriend and I are looking to do our first bike tour.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

My girlfriend and I are looking to do our first bike tour.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-18, 08:20 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by avole

That is utter nonsense. Sure, every trip may not be wonderful, and in fact on one of mine I ended up in hospital, but before the slight accident it was great. Even the time in hospital with no-one who spoke English was good, thanks to translate plus mime, and, apart from being knocked out by the painkillers and numerous tests when food arrived, it taught me a lot about local customs and cuisine, not to mention that health care was as good as that in our civilised western countries. Also, having obviously shortened the trip, I found some idyllic spots close to my hotel..

Cultural differences?? Isn’t that part of the point ? Isn’t it also the best way to learn and bring back something to our own homes? I mean, we all share the same planet, so shouldn’t we try to understand that, and share, not destroy? Understanding other cultures is surely part of this. Sorry, but you sound a bit like the stereotypical American of satiric novels, not the friends I have here. Where is the « can do » attitude many of us admire?

As you may have gathered I’m a keen environmentalist, as I guess many of us are, who comes from the island that has now decided to leave the rest of the world alone, which it will do at the end of march. You try living with and explaining that. I know that’s a fanciful extrapollation from your post, but it does hint towards the consequences of such a conservative attitude.
People have a right to their opion. I have made them based on my experience. Most of your posts here are attacks on the opinions of others. You didn't read my post. If you had you would have noticed I suggested international travel for later trips. All you wanted to do was attack as you did to others here,

Anything you have to say is absolutely irrelevant. I so rarely block anyone, it has been so long I have forgotten how to do it. But you certainly have earned . that status.

What does the "environmentalist" have to do with anything??? : foo: Also I would think an environmentalist would discourage airplane travel?? So much for your opinion I guess.

Last edited by spinnaker; 12-31-18 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-31-18, 09:37 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Difficult to respond to a series of non-sequiturs. I'd rather reply to your other "points" through the mail system, otherwise it threatens to be tedious for anyone else. OK?
Old 12-31-18, 09:53 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by rjw1289
... both are every day bikers...mountain bike rides consist of anywhere from 15-30 miles a day...road rides can range widely from 20-90 miles in a stretch... done races together and my GF has done multiple triathlon's. However, we have never biked packed...

no experience riding a loaded bike, no extended (supported) rides, no backpacking.

you might want to get some experience locally, find out what works for you, learn about the gear and equipment, experience a loaded tour....before you jet off to some remote location that looks really cool in the travel videos.

y'all are living in mountain bike wonderland. plenny of places to ride and camp nearby or in a neighboring state. do the first couple rides where you have multiple bailout options.

and....ummm...yeah,....the relationship thing.
Old 12-31-18, 09:59 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
...note you are based in Bangkok part of the time. ...enjoys cycling in Bangkok despite the obvious risks, give me a ..

no cycling in bangkok, other than to train station to get outa dodge. have ridden across a few times - main train station to airport for example - but basically 100km of boring concrete in all directions.

anyhoo, in china with the girlfriend this year (maybe next also). possible trip to visit relatives over the summer. maybe.
Old 12-31-18, 10:16 AM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry it has taken me a few days to respond, been busy at work. I know one of the questions was what is our cycling ability. We both are every day bikers whether its road or mountain. We live in Summit County Colorado so are biking is not easy. We live at 9600 feet and our mountain bike rides consist of anywhere from 15-30 miles a day and roughly anywhere from 3-5000 vertical feet gain. Our road rides can range widely from 20-90 miles in a stretch with lots of vertical gain too. We've done races together and my GF has done multiple triathlon's. However, we have never biked packed but feel the need to do so. All the information has been useful!!!!! Anyone have any pdf maps of rides or other links? Any gear information???
check out a lad on utube called hippyswift he does a lot of bikepacking and gives a rundown on gear he takes.
Old 12-31-18, 11:49 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
no cycling in bangkok, other than to train station to get outa dodge. have ridden across a few times - main train station to airport for example - but basically 100km of boring concrete in all directions.

anyhoo, in china with the girlfriend this year (maybe next also). possible trip to visit relatives over the summer. maybe.
Well, I don't know Bangkok that well, but Chinatown area used to be good and different, until it made all the tourist books and the govt cleaned it up, still worth a visit, however. Plus the back roads on the other side of the river can be interesting. And, there's my favourite cycle path around Suvarnabhumi airport, so some of it is still interesting. Anyway, give me a hoy if you want to stay down the coast a bit, in Hua hin, where I have a small apartment. It has some decent cycle paths leading south, roads get quieter, and, of course, there are the national parks.

Plus, the food is still great.

Last edited by avole; 12-31-18 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-31-18, 12:12 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Difficult to respond to a series of non-sequiturs. I'd rather reply to your other "points" through the mail system, otherwise it threatens to be tedious for anyone else. OK?
You aren't worth anothe microsecond of my time. On my ignore list. Welcome to a VERY exclusive club.
Old 12-31-18, 12:15 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by saddlesores
no experience riding a loaded bike, no extended (supported) rides, no backpacking.

you might want to get some experience locally, find out what works for you, learn about the gear and equipment, experience a loaded tour....before you jet off to some remote location that looks really cool in the travel videos.

y'all are living in mountain bike wonderland. plenny of places to ride and camp nearby or in a neighboring state. do the first couple rides where you have multiple bailout options.

and....ummm...yeah,....the relationship thing.
Agree 100%. At the very minimum do a weekend. Learn what you need and what you can do without. Learn how to ride with gear. A weekend won't cost so much and if you decide it is not for you, there is not much lost.
Old 12-31-18, 12:45 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
You aren't worth anothe microsecond of my time. On my ignore list. Welcome to a VERY exclusive club.
Thought you might like to know that offer for saddlesores is also valid for you. ìt's a good apartment in a town which still has an awful lot of interest. Food is good, once you get into the street food side of things. Seafood night market also good, although it is becoming pricey. Just remember some politesse and hint of language - I find a 'sawatdee krap' goes a long way.

Last edited by avole; 12-31-18 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-31-18, 01:35 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry it has taken me a few days to respond, been busy at work. I know one of the questions was what is our cycling ability. We both are every day bikers whether its road or mountain. We live in Summit County Colorado so are biking is not easy. We live at 9600 feet and our mountain bike rides consist of anywhere from 15-30 miles a day and roughly anywhere from 3-5000 vertical feet gain. Our road rides can range widely from 20-90 miles in a stretch with lots of vertical gain too. We've done races together and my GF has done multiple triathlon's. However, we have never biked packed but feel the need to do so. All the information has been useful!!!!! Anyone have any pdf maps of rides or other links? Any gear information???
well you guys clearly bike enough and have the fitness/endurance experience, so thats a big plus. At least you wont be figuring out bike fit or a sore keester or feet or whatever.
As folks who havent toured before, the one thing to adapt is getting used to less distance and slower speed per day, simply because of the weight of the stuff you are carrying.
I imagine the bikepacking thing appeals because its the new and cool thing, and thats fine, I would just add though that generally it entails being a lot more minimalist in what you travel with, and going to a whole other country/culture that is compeltely new to you, travelling with very little stuff could be problematic (or not)
If you havent done any self supported outdoor activities, camping, backpacking, then thats a learnign experience also.
Not to mention, how are the two of you for reading a map, planning a route that is realistic, not being frazzled by stuff that comes up, especially if in another culture.

as suggested, trying out some short local bike trips will at least show you how you feel about carrying X amount of stuff, and whether you'd want more to be comfortable.

there are tons of websites showing both touring and backpacking ideas, and Im sure you are already looking at stuff, but I come back to do some real life stuff and see how the two of you like doing the activity in general, and then go from there.
Old 12-31-18, 02:11 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts

Now, asking for a bidet, that’s something !
Old 12-31-18, 02:39 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
ax, thats one of the best "topic associated" photo answer Ive seen here. Very funny.
I assume you moved them there for the photo.
Old 12-31-18, 02:54 PM
axolotl

Originally Posted by djb
ax, thats one of the best "topic associated" photo answer Ive seen here. Very funny.
I assume you moved them there for the photo.
This was a clever display at a folk art museum in Merida, Mexico. (Museo de Artes Populares) The museum is in an old colonial house, and they took advantage of this disused room for this particular display.
Old 12-31-18, 04:26 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I love Colombia but gotta say the roads are seriously steep. This is a big reason Quintana does so well in the TDF. The Colombian people are really, really nice so help is there if you need it. I find their Spanish dialect easiest to understand of all Latin countries. I loved travelling throughout this country. Make sure to visit Tayrona Nat Park, gorgeous.
Old 12-31-18, 08:29 PM
rjw1289

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Just watched a few videos on this route and am very interested. Could you give me more information Carretera Austral trail? Where did you start and end......highlights/camping zones. Gear list and maybe something that you wished you would have brought. What was the route from Santiago? Thanks for all the info!!!!
Old 12-31-18, 10:05 PM
fantom1 

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
First trip? Stay local. Do lots of research. Maps etc. Adventure cycling and rail to trials are a good start. Bike experience? Fix it skills? Bike and bags you are using? Habla espanol?
This. Get a few tours in-country under your belt first.

Second, disregard the advice of "avole". This person clearly has no idea about anything and is a troll who unfortunately found themselves here. A stereotypical "wtf" is this person?. Just completely disregard.

Touring can be like a plane crash...a bunch of small mistakes can lead to big problems. These are the things you work out at home before trying a foreign country.

You guys cycle at high altitude and that's great, but dealing with problems that sometimes seem to compound is something quite different from your daily ride. Ingenuity is many times not a question of intelligence, but of experience. Get experience. It will make your foreign touring much more enjoyable (that's the point, right?).

Once you have a few tours to iron out the kinks, I would say Columbia is an amazing choice. Difficult for the terrain, but the people are really amazing. Expect to be invited into more situations than you are probably comfortable with because the invitations never end, but seriously, I can't speak highly enough of the people of Columbia.
Old 01-01-19, 01:01 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Why do you guys have difficulty with opinions that don’t match yours?. I thought travel was meant to broaden the mind, not close it.

Anyway, rjw1289, heed my words and those of others, but, above all, check the state department’s travel advisory notes. Unfortunately as US citizens, you are the targets of certain rebel groups. Likelihood of anything happening is minimal, but the advisories do give useful health noteshttps://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html: . I live in France, which, according to the advisories, is on the same level as Columbia, yet that doesn’t seem to stop the millions visiting Paris.

Enjoy your trip,

Last edited by avole; 01-02-19 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-01-19, 08:30 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by fantom1
This. Get a few tours in-country under your belt first.

Second, disregard the advice of "avole". This person clearly has no idea about anything and is a troll who unfortunately found themselves here. A stereotypical "wtf" is this person?. Just completely disregard.

Touring can be like a plane crash...a bunch of small mistakes can lead to big problems. These are the things you work out at home before trying a foreign country.

You guys cycle at high altitude and that's great, but dealing with problems that sometimes seem to compound is something quite different from your daily ride. Ingenuity is many times not a question of intelligence, but of experience. Get experience. It will make your foreign touring much more enjoyable (that's the point, right?).

Once you have a few tours to iron out the kinks, I would say Columbia is an amazing choice. Difficult for the terrain, but the people are really amazing. Expect to be invited into more situations than you are probably comfortable with because the invitations never end, but seriously, I can't speak highly enough of the people of Columbia.
I also noticed that TS wanted to do bikepacking or at the very least a remote trail. Probably fine for someone who has extensive similar back packing experience but not good for someone with little or no experience.
Old 01-01-19, 08:42 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Gosh, couldn't agree more. See some bloodcurdling tales at https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...sus-clone.html .
Old 01-01-19, 12:36 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts

Nah, where’s the interest in that.,? You might as well cycle fifty times round your own back yard then set ul tent in the middle of the lawn.

IFix it skills? Best doing that when the event occurs, there’s usually someone who can help.
Hmmm. Might want to get the bike/bags/equipment stuff dialed in first on an overnighter. Relying on help/tools/knowledge from random people? In the middle of no where? Hmmm. Good luck with that. Chain tool, patch kit, cable and der. adjust, spoke issues all happen on a regular basis. I like to be prepared. Guess not everyone does. My bikepacking trips take me to very remote places, best to be self sufficient.
Old 01-01-19, 01:02 PM
axolotl

Why do you guys have difficulty with opinions that don’t match yours?. I thought travel was meant to broaden the mind, not close it.
I'm not sure why, but this forum tends to attract lots of folks who are just plain scared to venture outside of their comfort zone. Other bike touring forums based outside of the US seem to attract more adventurous folks. For a laugh, do a search in this forum for threads pertaining to touring in Mexico. Invariably, those threads attract folks who usually have never set foot there, and those folks seem to be bound and determined to make sure nobody else does, either. I suspect their experience with Mexico is getting plastered on Cinco de Mayo somewhere north of the Rio Grande. There are also those folks who will respond to queries with the suggestion to do one of the few things they have done, but which are clearly unrelated to what the OP is asking about.

Having said that, it would be helpful if the OP were more responsive to some of the more reasonable questions and comments which have appeared in this thread. Does either of them speak any Spanish? Have they ever traveled outside of the US & Canada? How about to Latin America? Have they camped before? Are they open to the idea of going on a weekend bikepacking trip or two closer to home before they commit to a more serious trip? Is the May timeframe set in stone? (If so, forget about the Carretera Austral in southern Chile.)
Old 01-01-19, 02:00 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by axolotl
I'm not sure why, but this forum tends to attract lots of folks who are just plain scared to venture outside of their comfort zone. Other bike touring forums based outside of the US seem to attract more adventurous folks. For a laugh, do a search in this forum for threads pertaining to touring in Mexico. Invariably, those threads attract folks who usually have never set foot there, and those folks seem to be bound and determined to make sure nobody else does, either. I suspect their experience with Mexico is getting plastered on Cinco de Mayo somewhere north of the Rio Grande. There are also those folks who will respond to queries with the suggestion to do one of the few things they have done, but which are clearly unrelated to what the OP is asking about.

Having said that, it would be helpful if the OP were more responsive to some of the more reasonable questions and comments which have appeared in this thread. Does either of them speak any Spanish? Have they ever traveled outside of the US & Canada? How about to Latin America? Have they camped before? Are they open to the idea of going on a weekend bikepacking trip or two closer to home before they commit to a more serious trip? Is the May timeframe set in stone? (If so, forget about the Carretera Austral in southern Chile.)
What a joke that avole is criticizing others for criticizing on a difference of opinion when avole was the only one here attacking people for having a differing opinion. The troll is already on my ignore list (there is only one other after all these years on BF), The only reason I saw joke of a comment from avole is because of your quote of him/her.

This isn't about being scared or venturing outside your comfort zone. It is about perhaps taking on too much you can handle for a first tour and ruining a otherwise great tour when a little bit of experience that comes relatively cheap would have mad all the difference.

I find it bewildering why anyone would suggest jump in feet first when it is so easy to build some experience in your home country.
Old 01-01-19, 11:47 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Nah, where’s the interest in that.,? You might as well cycle fifty times round your own back yard then set ul tent in the middle of the lawn.
That is utter nonsense. Sure, every trip may not be wonderful, and in fact on one of mine I ended up in hospital, but before the slight accident it was great.
That is all well and good, but try to be mindful that not everyone's idea of a great time is jumping into an unfamiliar foreign environment for an unfamiliar physically strenuous activity. Telling people to just ignore planning and to jump in and deal with it is on the extreme end. There is a LOT of good information to learn by doing a trip or two around home BEFORE taking off on what, for many, will be a long trip of decent expenditure in a new environment.

This coming form a guy who decided to just go on a tour abroad on a bike before doing even an overnighter at home. Before I went on my second tour, I went on a couple short trips having realized everything I didn't know still, and ended up learning considerably more because of it.

Sounds like you have the riding down. How is your general travelling skills? There is quite a bit more to touring than simply riding a bike, and even the bike riding you are doing is going to be different than a century road ride. Navigation, local customs, unusual foods are all fun, but it is easy to overload yourself with too much "new" at once. Then again, maybe you guys are teh type that revels in such an environment, in which case go for it. I personally am, my wife certainly is not.

Have you tried some bikepacking trips around your locale? Doesn't have to be in your backyard, but even a weekend camping trip in a neighboring state will teach you a lot before you take off. Even if it is nothing but how to load your bike and what gear is unnecessary, it is stuff that is easier to learn at home before heading abroad.

Originally Posted by axolotl

Disagree with the first half, completely agree with the second. After reading through a decade old thread from here about an Aussie girl planning on bike touring Africa, who people helped until the point where she seemed flaky and not going to go through with it, and then finding out she did go through it until she was hit by a car somewhere through her trip, I realized that not every last person on the internet knows to properly plan and consider all aspects of such a trip.
Old 01-02-19, 04:52 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
What a joke that avole is criticizing others for criticizing on a difference of opinion when avole was the only one here attacking people for having a differing opinion. The troll is already on my ignore list (there is only one other after all these years on BF), The only reason I saw joke of a comment from avole is because of your quote of him/her.

This isn't about being scared or venturing outside your comfort zone. It is about perhaps taking on too much you can handle for a first tour and ruining a otherwise great tour when a little bit of experience that comes relatively cheap would have mad all the difference.

I find it bewildering why anyone would suggest jump in feet first when it is so easy to build some experience in your home country.
Unfortunately, incorrect again. I'm not attacking, but presenting an alternative, which I'm beginning to think is a rarity. You'll find most people won't necessarily agree with all or even part of what you, I and others say. I mean, I don't camp and prefer to stay in local accommodation, because it give you more of a chance to experience at least a taste of the local culture. That's why I also tend to avoid backpacker hotels, although they are a great way to meet people and make friends and are inexpensive, which often comes into it. That doesn't mean I tested camping in the way some suggest, nor backpacker hotels, the area often defines your activity, as in national parks.

Things happen, and, to be truthful, we do tend to be judgemental, I just as much as yourself. For example, herein Europe we simply cannot understand US gun laws, although guns are available, yet France in particular based a lot of its own republican ideas on this sentence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." but recognises sometimes the need to restrict one area to better enable the others. OK, it is an extreme example, but are the various thinkers behind the European take on weapons really attacking your own people's ideas? Of course not, but they do recognise, as many do, that there is no hard and fast formula. You cycle distance, great, you do need the muscles, you stay overnight in a tent, which you could do in your own garden, you buy dome dehydrated food and eat that for tea, what is the point? Anyway, there are lots of other things I could list, but you get the idea.
Old 01-02-19, 04:59 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
That is all well and good, but try to be mindful that not everyone's idea of a great time is jumping into an unfamiliar foreign environment for an unfamiliar physically strenuous activity. Telling people to just ignore planning and to jump in and deal with it is on the extreme end. There is a LOT of good information to learn by doing a trip or two around home BEFORE taking off on what, for many, will be a long trip of decent expenditure in a new environment.

This coming form a guy who decided to just go on a tour abroad on a bike before doing even an overnighter at home. Before I went on my second tour, I went on a couple short trips having realized everything I didn't know still, and ended up learning considerably more because of it.

Sounds like you have the riding down. How is your general travelling skills? There is quite a bit more to touring than simply riding a bike, and even the bike riding you are doing is going to be different than a century road ride. Navigation, local customs, unusual foods are all fun, but it is easy to overload yourself with too much "new" at once. Then again, maybe you guys are teh type that revels in such an environment, in which case go for it. I personally am, my wife certainly is not.

Have you tried some bikepacking trips around your locale? Doesn't have to be in your backyard, but even a weekend camping trip in a neighboring state will teach you a lot before you take off. Even if it is nothing but how to load your bike and what gear is unnecessary, it is stuff that is easier to learn at home before heading abroad.

Disagree with the first half, completely agree with the second. After reading through a decade old thread from here about an Aussie girl planning on bike touring Africa, who people helped until the point where she seemed flaky and not going to go through with it, and then finding out she did go through it until she was hit by a car somewhere through her trip, I realized that not every last person on the internet knows to properly plan and consider all aspects of such a trip.
Jeff, you should really have done me the courtesy of iincluding the rest of my post, as it did clarify what I meant. Your use of selective posting wasn't really accurate in this case. I do agree, though, everyone does do that to prove a point.

Last edited by avole; 01-02-19 at 01:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.