Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Re-wrapping new bars with old tape

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-19, 11:56 AM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts

Probably could have just figured this out myself on google (or just given it a shot) but I like interacting with you fellas better.

Ever take the bar tape off your old set of bars and stick it on the new ones? How does it turn out? I've always just used new tape but I like my current fizik bar tape and its still in good shape.
Old 03-12-19, 12:37 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Mine usually gets torn to shreds when I remove it, but you might be able to do better if you're careful.
Old 03-12-19, 12:55 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

Im using fizik endurance tape which is a bit more uh...leathery(?) than something like cork tape so I was thinking it might hold up better perhaps

Yeah maybe I should just try it
Old 03-12-19, 01:15 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Yeah, it seems to depend on the tape. Also the age of said tape. I had to re-do the Supacaz tape on my gravel bike and it was easy, especially since it'd been on for maybe a couple of days. Even the finishing tape was reusable (the Supacaz finishing tape is really nice). I probably would not have been successful with the Cinelli cork tape on my fixed gear bike.
Old 03-12-19, 01:16 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I've done it and had pretty good luck mostly.
Old 03-12-19, 09:55 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rewrapped Velox classic vinyl tape, still good thousands of K's later. Same with cloth tape.
Old 03-13-19, 11:19 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
I re-use the Bike Ribbon tape. When it starts to fray along the edge, I remove it and re-wrap to expose the previously covered edge and cover the frayed edge.
Old 03-17-19, 12:00 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by PeopleAreIdiots
Probably could have just figured this out myself on google (or just given it a shot) but I like interacting with you fellas better.

Ever take the bar tape off your old set of bars and stick it on the new ones? How does it turn out? I've always just used new tape but I like my current fizik bar tape and its still in good shape.
I have done it with great success but the key is the removal. If it goes well all is good if not ur screwed. I plan to rewrap my fixie today as the bike is not worthy of another $20 investment in new wrap.. The old back wrap looks good enough
Old 03-18-19, 11:30 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I've done it before. The adhesive on the backside is going to stay with the bar it's coming off of. I never tried but I can imagine a heat gun would help with release and perhaps even reusing.
You have to remove it very slowly and gingerly so the adhesive doesn't take any tape material along with it by tearing the tape. Go a cm at a time and rolling the tape upward while gripping along the area of the tape with the adhesive.

When you're reapplying to the new bar you're going to have to rely on tension from wrapping the tape because the adhesive backing is probably still on the old bar or no longer tacky. Gingerly pull/ stretch the tape as you wrap being sure to tape the ends securely so it doesn't unravel.

Before you attempt it, you should determine whether the tape is salvageable or not. If the outer leading edges of tape are frayed, cracked, or dried out, I would advise against it.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 03-19-19, 12:39 AM
PeopleAreIdiots

Thanks guys. Ill most likely be picking up a new set of bars pretty soon so Ill give this a shot and post an update. Worst case scenario, new bar tape!
Old 03-19-19, 10:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I don't typically reuse bar tape unless I am desperate but thankfully bar tape can be found at various price points so I never have to get desperate.
Old 03-29-19, 07:36 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

My wife got me some new bars for my birthday so I tried this out. I'd say its definitely doable with fizik endurance tape at least.

a few notes:
1. The used tape will have conformed to the shape of the old bars so its important to take care to wrap the new ones as similarly as possible. Obviously the feasibility of this depends on how similar your two sets of bars are.
2. Make sure to pull the tape very tight. I noticed the adhesive since the adhesive loses some strength, the tape will feel unstable and a bit squishy unless you wrap it exceedingly tight.

As for my specific results, I think its definitely serviceable but obviously a bit more rough around the edges than fresh tape. I was still able to reuse the original finishing tape which I think adds alot to the look. The tape feels great for the most part, albeit a bit less solid than it did after the first application. I think this should last me a good while though.

also sorry for the crap pictures, I snapped them too quick and my apartment is a bit dim to appriciate the black tape