Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Best dog repellant

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Best dog repellant

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 08:48 AM
Resoman

Bikes: Felt F65

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best dog repellant

As I type this, I'm recovering from a dog bite I received four days ago. I was riding down a country road that I'm very familiar with and was approached (silently) by a medium sized short haired dog who got on my right side and started barking and snarling. I tried to ride away, but she got in one good charge and put a good sized gash in my calf. A lot of blood, a lot of pain and a long ride back to my car.
My leg was sewn up at the ER, and the local Animal Control has located the dog and, hopefully, put it in quarantine by now.
Anyway, what are the best dog repellents these days? I had a pepper spray with me but didn't have enough warning to get it out of my handlebar pack. A neighbor recommended the deterrents that make sounds that somehow subdue dogs. Are they really effective, what's a good brand name? Is there anything else I should consider? I don't want this to happen again,
Gary,
Elgin, TX
Old 07-31-19, 08:53 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
You may have noted that after attacking you the dog went it's own way. Generally speaking, human blood is a pretty good deterrent...

On a serious note, if you didn't have time before the attack to pull your pepper spray due to the silent approach, what good will the horn be?

By and large your mistake was trying to "run", it kicks in a natural reflex as you have shown to be weaker/in fear. In a situation like that (one dog) it would have been best to dismount, put the bike between you and the dog, firm no, then spray with (whatever). In most cases a good squirt from a water bottle is sufficient.

Hope you recover well.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 07-31-19, 09:07 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
A rock, or rocks, in the jersey pocket.

But that is a bit moot if you can't see it coming.

Ideally, you'd want to predict the attack, and confront the dog off the bike if it's not too large.

Alternatively, if you are able for a quick sprint, there is a method to follow:
-- slow down, to allow the dog to calculate their intercept angle.
-- Once the dog has made it's move / committed to that angle...
-- speed up / sprint so you can easily ride away from the dog.

That method works well for motorbikes too, but again the main problem is predicting this attack well enough in advance to allow you to adapt and prepare for it.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 07-31-19, 10:08 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I use some pepper spray that I pick up from our local outdoor store. They key is to have it readily available when needed. This comes with a clip that I clip to my jersey. I have considered getting a dog whistle and attaching it to the back of my glove in some manner; however, I do not know if they are effective.
Old 07-31-19, 10:18 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I remember years ago, when we took family photos with the dog, it would hate it when you charged the flash on those SLR cameras. So now I wonder if those ultra sonic mouse deterrents would work.

I also read somewhere long ago that strobe lights mesmerize dogs.
Old 07-31-19, 05:40 PM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Generally i ignore the dog. If it is still chasing me, maybe a kick. If it is still behind you, desmount and put the bike in mid and walk some meters. Then just go on.
Old 08-01-19, 04:06 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 271 Posts
Generally i ignore the dog. If it is still chasing me, maybe a kick. If it is still behind you, desmount and put the bike in mid and walk some meters. Then just go on.
I did this once and underestimated puppies territory. After walking the bicycle some distance then remounting I began pedaling. The dog destroyed my left pant leg. I only had a scratch on my leg. I learned to be more watchful after that incident.
Old 08-01-19, 12:14 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
This post takes me back to the 50s when I was a kid with a small-town paper route. One customer had a nasty mutt that seemed to hate paperboys and always made a run at me on my bike - finally one day he nipped my ankle. The owner was a hard-case, blamed me, not his dog, etc. Small town marshal would do nothing about it, so I finally filled a water pistol with a mix of Clorox and water. One or two squirts across the dog's muzzle convinced him to avoid me completely after that.

Today I probably would be busted for animal cruelty, but it worked back then. Now I just carry pepper spray.
Old 08-01-19, 12:26 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I carry pepper spray and a police whistle. Both have broken off/deterred attacks, but as others have said, I saw them coming. Sometimes I'll just get off the bike and confront them...I can't outrun them except on big downhills---and dogs always seem to live on medium to big up hills!
Old 08-01-19, 01:27 PM
PJay120

Bikes: Lemond Etape, Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Yes, something like those deer deterrent whistles you put on the car would be great.
Old 08-01-19, 01:44 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
recently got a cpl boxes of noise makers. small boxes like the size of a mint can. each box must have 50? little white pkgs the size of a raisin. you throw them at the ground & they explode like old fashioned caps struck with a rock & basically harmless. dunno if you can carry something like that on a bar bag or something so it would be fast & easy to grab a cpl at a time. don't know if they would work on dirt. probably just something hard like pavement

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-01-19 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 02:36 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Best or most practical solution not likely to find you having a conversation with law enforcement?
Old 08-01-19, 05:20 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Wow. I'm sorry to hear you got bitten by a dog. I got bitten by a German Shepherd last year, while walking on a route that I'd already done several times and had seen other walkers (it came up behind, and, surprisingly, didn't give any indication that it would bite me, beforehand. It just sniffed by hand, then quickly bit; for a few weeks, my whole arm and wrist felt painful and numb at times). I'm grateful that my arm and hand healed, eventually, weren't permanently damaged.

I haven't tried pepper spray, but have had some luck in shouting at territorial dogs; they, luckily, haven't chosen to bite me, but eventually leave me alone.
Old 08-01-19, 05:37 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I read on another bike forum years ago that yelling, 'NO!", will often get them to at least back off a bit, and give you some room to scoot on past. Most dogs aren't rabid,feral beasts,just someone's pet, that grew up hearing and understanding, "no", so it seems to work fairly often.
If a dog scares the living shinola out of me, and really pisses me off, I've often gotten off the bike, cussing mad, and chased them off. They also seem to understand what bending over and grabbing a rock means.
For dogs I know are going to be up ahead and practically attack me, I've had a rock with me and ready to throw. even if they weren't actually hurt by it, they seem to remember getting beaned by a rock.
Old 08-02-19, 08:27 AM
Daniel4

Dogs have an instinct to play fetch. I just Googled it after reading the above post.

So grab a big stick or a rubber ball and throw it. He may bring it back but if he's like most dogs, won't let it go so his mouth will be full as you pedal away.
Old 08-02-19, 10:02 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've only been chased twice by dogs that had genuine intent. One got close enough to make a lunge for my right foot, but he must have been a novice and missed as the pedal stroke went around. He got two eyesockets full of Lemon-Lime Gatorade, and that was that. The barking and the pursuit ended immediately. The second one was serious serious, but I saw him before he saw me, so a brief period of hammering made for a distance he couldn't cover in time. That dog pursued me for probably 1/3 of a mile.

I don't think there's a real defense against what happened to the OP-- though I've never experienced a "stealth dog." The barking usually starts up as soon as I'm in sight, or when they think they're in striking distance. Gatorade in the eyes 100% works. I think it would work on a person.
Old 08-02-19, 10:28 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Where I ride, loose dogs are within eyesight of their owners. Most of those owners will get as aggressive as the dogs were if you act like you're going to harm poochie.

One time while pedaling down a street one of the same ol' dogs comes out after me. I slowed down and tried to wheelie on the dog's head. The owner wasn't pleased at all, but the owner shouldn't let its dog run after everything that comes down the street, either.

Other times I have either sprinted away or stopped and put the bike between myself and the dog. Most dogs I've run across won't go after you if you stop and confront them a fair distance away from their "turf". Not counting the truly aggressive breeds, though.

As mentioned here and elsewhere, I'm going to adopt the shout "No" and "Bad Dog" at the 4 legged adversary in the future.
Old 08-02-19, 09:16 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by FiftySix

As mentioned here and elsewhere, I'm going to adopt the shout "No" and "Bad Dog" at the 4 legged adversary in the future.
Maybe carrying a rolled-up newspaper would also help reinforce to the dog who's the trainer.
Old 08-02-19, 11:46 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Water bottle that can shoot a stream of water a long way. I can hit a dog in the eyes at 3 meters. Never failed to distract a dog and forced it to give up the chase.

Anything else is cruel and cowardly.