Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 12:57 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
No, SART is fine, it's dealing with all the dingbat drivers on PCH that is less than calming.
Old 04-28-18, 02:13 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue_Bulldog
The sociopolitical detours on this thread are worse than the geographic ones on the trail. Put some of that effort into the pedals y'all. Seriously.

So can we get back down to the meat of this matter? Because I've been wanting to do Corona-San Clemente since football season and can't deal with the Death Star trench run through tent city. Is the trail open, safe, and clean? Can you ride straight through like before? Can a person ride it on a weekend and not have to hold their breath? Will you get any crap from Johnny Law? Are there any holdouts? Can you use the Honda Center as a reliable rest stop again?

Bikes, folks. We're here for bikes.
Sorry but, San Clemente is closed and won't reopen 'til the end of summer 2019.
Old 04-28-18, 11:23 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More and more cyclist showing up on SART lately.
Old 05-06-18, 08:57 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Rode SART today thru ground zero, Lincoln to Garden Grove Blvd. The good news, the trail is open and in good shape, with a lot of fencing along the sides.

The bad news, it seems the county is not too good at unlocking all the access gates. The gate from westbound Lincoln to the trail was closed around 1030 this morning. We had to cross Lincoln to access it via the gate on on the eastbound side. The other bad news, the access gates are really narrow, I wonder if some three wheel recumbents can't pass thru?
Old 05-07-18, 07:48 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Yeah my wife & I have entered/exited through the Lincoln gates they don't leave much room for error! I think the fenced off portions are the most fouled areas & need more time for mother nature to recover.
Old 05-09-18, 05:38 AM
Silvia S14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for people to ride with and meet new friends. i enjoy starting in yorba linda and get off around anaheim and hit up tap rooms/breweries if anyone wants to join! i ride tuesday through thursday anytime really! i ride very casually on a single speed! i am willing to bike a lot farther though!
Old 06-03-18, 04:35 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Getting out of SART and going down on PCH, one of the very first traffic lights, I think its Orange Street: there's a new Burger Boss fast food.
Anybody try it?
Old 06-03-18, 08:53 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Getting out of SART and going down on PCH, one of the very first traffic lights, I think its Orange Street: there's a new Burger Boss fast food.
Anybody try it?
Didn't it close last year (maybe two years ago?), so maybe someone just re-opened it? I'll have to try it out.

FWIW: I've been doing some early-morning pre-7AM riding on the lower SART these past few weeks and its been great - bicycle riders, joggers, walkers, surfers riding down to the beach, but no homeless. I'm pretty sure its probably a low-priority for patrol by the LEOs, and they won't be doing regular pre-7AM or post-8PM patrols unless problems pop up.
Old 06-03-18, 07:07 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
FWIW: I've been doing some early-morning pre-7AM riding on the lower SART these past few weeks and its been great - bicycle riders, joggers, walkers, surfers riding down to the beach, but no homeless. I'm pretty sure its probably a low-priority for patrol by the LEOs, and they won't be doing regular pre-7AM or post-8PM patrols unless problems pop up.[/QUOTE]

Don't tell anyone but I entered the trail at @ 6am this morning the south side Ball Rd. gate was wide open. Both gates at Katella were open as well. Don't know if this is an anomaly though but it sure was nice! Only passed 3 joggers until I crossed the wood bridge south of the golf course. Beautiful & peaceful start to this morning's ride.
West
Old 06-03-18, 07:28 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Didn't it close last year (maybe two years ago?), so maybe someone just re-opened it? I'll have to try it out.
The establishment formerly known as Newport Burger was closed and torn down. It has been replaced by Burger Boss. Haven't tried it yet.
Old 03-11-19, 05:16 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
This story reminded me of this thread. I remember reading here that many homeless were given rooms, but I'm guessing that's not happening so much now....

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...meless/584380/

Infectious diseases—some that ravaged populations in the Middle Ages—are resurging in California and around the country, and are hitting homeless populations especially hard.

Los Angeles recently experienced an outbreak of typhus—a disease spread by infected fleas on rats and other animals—in downtown streets. Officials briefly closed part of City Hall after reporting that rodents had invaded the building.

People in Washington State have been infected with the diarrheal disease shigella, spread through feces, as well as Bartonella quintana, or trench fever, which spreads through body lice.
Old 03-11-19, 07:41 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The Great OC Purge definitely pushed a chunk of the population inland-- we have had "colonies" out in the river basin for as long as I can remember, but the bold, "we don't give a damn" attitude is certainly now on display here, particularly on the stretch between Mt. Rubidoux and the SB County line. By that I mean the tents are butted right up against the edge of the trail in spots, many with an air of at least semi-permanence-- one near the Mission Blvd. dog park has a big blue EZ-up with potted plants hanging from it. Another nearby has a haystack made of bicycles. It's not great.
Old 03-11-19, 02:29 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Of all the places in the Inland Empire they choose to squat its the one area with an actual diverse habitat and healthy vegetation. Between the homeless and off roaders its slowly being destroyed. Trash all over, trees chopped down, its depressing af.
Old 03-11-19, 09:16 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

If you're interested in news on the O.C. Homeless situation you can peruse the stories in this link from the "Voice of O.C." website, a pretty reliable source of news here in Orange County:

https://voiceofoc.org/category/topic...-homelessness/

Scroll down and you can find articles back to when the camp along the SART first sprung up, through the time the Federal court ordered OC to take care of the problem, and the ongoing saga of creating homeless shelters. Sorry to hear the problem moved out to the Riverside/San Bernardino areas of the SART.
Old 03-27-19, 06:00 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Looks like Seattle has a similar issue, but has yet to face it...at least the politicians hasn't faced it....

Old 04-13-19, 06:36 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Luckly the problem today was just a minor seasonal nuisance - gnats. They're starting to emerge and swarm in the still morning air. I ran into two 'clouds' of them; they can't be seen until you're in them and breath in a good mouthful to choke on. They'll also cover your clothes/body. One instance was at that small park on the south side of the 405 freeway, the other was next to Spurgeon School up in Santa Ana (just south of the abandoned railroad bridge). Guess its time to use a bandana for SART rides for the next month!

FWIW - I'm usually out there at dawn, but once the winds start picking up about 10AM they'll be gone (or blown away).
Old 04-14-19, 08:18 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
It must be due in part to all the rain we had. I've noticed the same thing along the SGRT. Not a lot of swarms, but definitely an increase over last year.
Old 04-14-19, 08:20 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Luckly the problem today was just a minor seasonal nuisance - gnats. They're starting to emerge and swarm in the still morning air. I ran into two 'clouds' of them; they can't be seen until you're in them and breath in a good mouthful to choke on. They'll also cover your clothes/body. One instance was at that small park on the south side of the 405 freeway, the other was next to Spurgeon School up in Santa Ana (just south of the abandoned railroad bridge). Guess its time to use a bandana for SART rides for the next month!

FWIW - I'm usually out there at dawn, but once the winds start picking up about 10AM they'll be gone (or blown away).
Protein!
Old 05-25-19, 10:21 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts

It is much much worse when you turn into the canyon. They go for miles. The area you describe (fwy) has had regular bee swarms and have had to stop and scrape bees from another rider.
Old 05-26-19, 05:29 AM
Garfield Cat

SART bees with real stinger needles!
Old 06-11-19, 06:51 PM
toegnix

Bikes: FUJI Transonic SL (2016), BH G6 Pro (2013), BH G5 (2012), BH G5 (2010), Luma RAX (2009) VeloVie Vitesse 300SE (2008), Kuota Kredo (2007), Cannondale CAAD 8 (2005, 2006), Felt F1 (2004), Trek 5200 (2003), Trek 5200 (1994), DiamondBack Master TG (1990)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love the SART cleanup, but am disappointed that fencing was necessary in a lot of places. The open spaces were nice.

What has also been disappointing is how many of the vagrants have relocated to SGRT, CCRT, etc. The policing and enforcement there has yet to catch up.
Old 06-13-19, 09:28 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
The Riverside / San Bernardino portion is getting much worse. Last week 3 teens were walking and one was holding a gun; I think it was a replica but it looked just like a Beretta. Some lady was so drugged up she just fell into the fence and layed there, and people are brining their cars into the riverbed. Something bad is going to happen at some point, but with SoCal being a major saturation point for the countries homeless, I'm not sure where they are going to go.
Old 06-13-19, 10:51 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
In a couple of places around the county line, it's gone full-on shantytown in the riverbed. Of course every overpass has spawned a village... except passing under the 60fwy. I've always wondered about that.

They sure do seem to enjoy breaking bottles, too. So much glass.
Old 09-05-19, 06:49 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I live in Lancaster, thus I have observed many of those humans without established residences have been pushed out here.

Unfortunately for them (the climate can be deadly) and for us, because they live like animals. But I can’t help but wonder if they are the canary in the mineshaft.
Old 09-07-19, 05:46 AM
Garfield Cat

Do you mean their own human waste can emit deadly gasses and other toxic things like needles and trash?

Or do you mean homelessness is the deadly thing. Or both?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.