Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Colnago Ferrari? Fake?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Colnago Ferrari? Fake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19, 07:34 PM
spikyone

Bikes: Teen Verge P9 EKO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Colnago Ferrari? Fake?

Hello, I came across a single picture of a bicycle for sale and need some knowledge from the experts on here.

Its advertised as a Colnago Ferrari road bike 9 speed
and thats it. With one picture in the ad. I know Colnago does ferrari editions but Im not sure if this is one of it or a copy.

Is it possible it anyone on here can help me sort of verify there is such a thing based on the paintwork? Before I go look at it.
Old 10-03-19, 08:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Is this a Craigslist posting? Do you get a higher resolution photo by clicking on it?

Hard to tell with the single low-res photo and little information.

Definitely Shimano and not Campagnolo shifters. For 9 speed, I'm guessing Sora 3500 (not Ultegra or Dura Ace). That should give one a lot to think about.

The seat cluster appears to be welded aluminum. Also an aluminum seatpost.

You have some kind of cheap external cam front skewer. Hard to tell about the rear, but the rear axle almost looks bolted on.

ZIPP bars probably wouldn't be original on a Colnago, but there are a lot of fakes. I can't see the brake cable routing, but they may be internal to the handlebars which would be a good sign. Probably external lower left routing of the brake cable which isn't diagnostic (to me).

I can't tell if the wheels are aluminum or carbon fiber. I'm leaning towards an aluminum brake track, and probably a cheap aero aluminum.

Colnago did make a few Aluminum frames 10 or 20 years ago. They don't get a lot of love in the C&V market. I don't think I have one myself. I'm not sure what the features of aluminum frames were, but perhaps some would have had a diamond top tube (which this bike doesn't have).

I'm leaning towards a fake. Perhaps a cheap low-end Chinese aluminum road bike with a few "upgrades".

I think I saw a cheap Lamborghini bike once, and this bike could be a licensed "Ferrari", but doubtful that Colnago went down that path.

If it was me... if the bike was < $300, I might solicit some detail photos from the seller, but not go too far out of my way for it.

If it was > $500, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Old 10-03-19, 09:05 PM
spikyone

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This is why I love BF! There's such a treasure trove of knowledge here. I've mesaaged the seller for more photos and details and once I get it I'll probably be back for more help. Incidentally, it was advertised on one of my Facebook cycling groups
Old 10-04-19, 03:34 AM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
I am not an expert but I own/owned several Colnagos, including a Ferrari Colnago that I purchased in 2008 at the Ferarri factory store in Maranello, Italy. It was all CF with full Campy record, wheels, etc.. Paid about $10K. I’ve seen a couple others that were identical. Couldn’t imagine a Ferrari Colnago that didn’t use full
Campy components, wheels and all Carbon goodies.
Likes For Dr.Lou:
Old 10-04-19, 06:38 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Lou
I am not an expert but I own/owned several Colnagos, including a Ferrari Colnago that I purchased in 2008 at the Ferarri factory store in Maranello, Italy. It was all CF with full Campy record, wheels, etc.. Paid about $10K. I’ve seen a couple others that were identical. Couldn’t imagine a Ferrari Colnago that didn’t use full
Campy components, wheels and all Carbon goodies.
Might be related to the made-in-Mexico-by-Alubike, licensed from Colnago and Ferrari MTBs
Old 10-04-19, 07:18 AM
Dr.Lou

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Might be related to the made-in-Mexico-by-Alubike, licensed from Colnago and Ferrari MTBs
Ahhh forgot about about the cheesy colnago/ferarri MTB.
I was always surprised colnago and ferarri would out their names on such crap.
Thanks
Old 10-04-19, 08:01 AM
spikyone

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Heh heh heh luckily the seller was local. The minute he took out the bike from the car I wanted to run immediately. Fake doesn't even begin to describe it, and it was an mtb converted to RB to boot!
Moving on...
Likes For spikyone:
Old 10-04-19, 04:50 PM
Dr.Lou

I am glad you escaped unscathed.