Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dog chase with a twist

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dog chase with a twist

Old 10-11-19, 01:33 PM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Dog chase with a twist

So this starts off typically, rural road on a nice straightaway no hills or intersections. Two large black German Shepherds roll out of the yard at full speed and it is on. I was not too worried these two took off after me a couple months back and gave pursuit for nearly a half mile, but like I said conditions were ideal for outrunning them.

But this time there was a motorist behind them. He/she speeds up past the dogs, hits the brakes while turning halfway toward the ditch and cuts them off. They stop cold chase is over. It was awesome. I gave a big wave and figured I'll chat with them when they catch up, but they pulled into a property about 1/4 mile up.
Likes For 55murray:
Old 10-11-19, 01:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
While crossing the country I had a Doberman come after me. No way was I going to outrun him on a loaded touring bike. There was an oncoming semi, so I veered across the road to the opposite shoulder. Wasn't happy about it, but I fully expected to hear yelping and then silence. Seems pooch was smarter than that and everyone "walked" away o.k.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-11-19, 06:55 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
awesome timing, sounds like Mannix. Glad they acted
Old 10-12-19, 03:08 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
While I’d hate to have to use it, I’ve thought about carrying mace with me on my slower commutes. What’s the consensus on that?
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 10-12-19, 03:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
"Front paws on your heads you SOBs!"
Old 10-12-19, 05:53 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
While I’d hate to have to use it, I’ve thought about carrying mace with me on my slower commutes. What’s the consensus on that?
Do it.

I bought a can and emptied it into a dog's face to no avail. Replaced it with an expandable baton.
Old 10-12-19, 08:03 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Hmm, lets see:

A) Let the dog bite you.
B) Do whatever is necessary to prevent from getting bitten.

I think I'll choose B.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 10-12-19, 08:18 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
C. Let the other dogs he's with bite and tear at you, too.

One dog, of pretty much any size, I like to think I could take on and defeat with as little as a bicycle pump. But several of them at the same time ... no way.
Old 10-12-19, 08:21 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
BITD, some of us relied on our frame pump as an "expandable baton". Of course, using a Silca Impero was out of the question. Another reason to have a Zefal over the expensive and exotic plastic Italians.......
Likes For elcraft:
Old 10-12-19, 12:41 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
A month or two ago I was on a club ride with my lowracer, and a dog came out at us. Being the lowest, he fixated on me and was not giving up. The others were worried that I was wandering out into the middle of the road with a car coming at us, but my plan was to lead him into the oncoming lane, with me in the shoulder, and let the car take care of him.

Too bad he gave up the chase before the car got the chance.
Old 10-12-19, 04:10 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
A flail or a Morningstar can be more effective
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-12-19, 04:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
A month or two ago I was on a club ride with my lowracer, and a dog came out at us. Being the lowest, he fixated on me and was not giving up. The others were worried that I was wandering out into the middle of the road with a car coming at us, but my plan was to lead him into the oncoming lane, with me in the shoulder, and let the car take care of him.

Too bad he gave up the chase before the car got the chance.
If I were the driver witnessing this, I’d aim for you not the dog
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-13-19, 10:10 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
If I were the driver witnessing this, I’d aim for you not the dog
a little harsh but I get your message
Old 10-13-19, 10:35 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Makes a lot of sense.

I'm more a fan of a solid crack across the snout with a suitable device, but a decent pepper spray could work.

Basic logic of coping with bullies. They are going to continue attempting it, so long as there aren't painful (even dire) ramifications for doing so. Dogs are pretty smart at getting the picture, when the "picture" for a feel-good is grim that way.

JMO
Old 10-13-19, 11:29 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Dogs not only have selective hearing, they also have selective intelligence. When something interests them, or immediately benefits them in some way, they can be pretty darn smart about figuring things out. Like how to get food, get out of the yard, etc.
Old 10-13-19, 11:57 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Makes a lot of sense.

I'm more a fan of a solid crack across the snout with a suitable device, but a decent pepper spray could work.

Basic logic of coping with bullies. They are going to continue attempting it, so long as there aren't painful (even dire) ramifications for doing so. Dogs are pretty smart at getting the picture, when the "picture" for a feel-good is grim that way.

JMO
Your "device" will only encourage them. Use the spray, its a permanent solution since they have no defense against it.
Old 10-13-19, 05:40 PM
Lab4Us

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3 in Volt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Could always carry a few treats. Dog likely way more interested in food, especially if it’s owner doesn’t care enough about it to train it or supervise it properly.
Old 10-13-19, 06:50 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Lab4Us
Could always carry a few treats. Dog likely way more interested in food, especially if it’s owner doesn’t care enough about it to train it or supervise it properly.
He'll either become your best friend or realize that chasing you is a good way to get his daily meal. Hopefully you won't one day forget to pack his treats. Don't start anything you can't finish.
Old 10-13-19, 06:58 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts

These dog threads never end well
Old 10-13-19, 10:09 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Your "device" will only encourage them. Use the spray, its a permanent solution since they have no defense against it.
A hard smack on the snout/head of a mad dog is something I've yet to see fail.

True, some "bully" dogs take it as a blood sport and they'll do everything they can to succeed i their "bullying." Like most bullies, though, when smacked down they begin to realize it's not all roses. Just have to connect. A busted jaw, poked eye, smacked temple, torn up nose/lips ... whatever it takes ... makes a big, bad, bully dog re-think.

As for permanence of solutions, well, that's a matter of opinion. One can carry a can of something. One can equally easily carry a baton, cane or stick. A dog that gets hit with a cloud of spray will generally remember it. So will a dog that's found its snout damaged by a wallop by a cane/baton.

IMO, it makes sense to carry both. In the "two is one, one is none" sense. You never know what's going to be needed, or what'll work in a given situation.
Old 10-14-19, 01:29 AM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts

True, some "bully" dogs take it as a blood sport and they'll do everything they can to succeed i their "bullying." Like most bullies, though, when smacked down they begin to realize it's not all roses. Just have to connect. A busted jaw, poked eye, smacked temple, torn up nose/lips ... whatever it takes ... makes a big, bad, bully dog re-think.

As for permanence of solutions, well, that's a matter of opinion. One can carry a can of something. One can equally easily carry a baton, cane or stick. A dog that gets hit with a cloud of spray will generally remember it. So will a dog that's found its snout damaged by a wallop by a cane/baton.

IMO, it makes sense to carry both. In the "two is one, one is none" sense. You never know what's going to be needed, or what'll work in a given situation.
What is a "bully" dog?
Old 10-14-19, 06:25 AM
Witterings

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

I would imagine anyone that treats a dog like this and openly promotes giving them "A busted jaw, poked eye, smacked temple, torn up nose/lips" is probably a bully themselves.

Guess a dog just smells the fear from someone like that a mile away and is probably why they might give chase.
Likes For Witterings:
Old 10-14-19, 08:04 AM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
With a few exceptions...there really is no such thing as a bad dog...just bad dog owners. Unfortunately some people think their dog is special and shouldn't be subject to the same rules as "other dogs". I see it all the time in campgrounds (for that matter any public space), where dogs are allowed to defecate anywhere and owners never cleanup, or the dog is allowed to bark and howl all the time. I have been in the city park and watched dog owners let their dogs chase the ducks and geese around as though that is good sport. Yet if you try to have a conversation with these people about their dog and the rules, you are simply met with anger. After all, their little "fur baby" is special.
I have never seen (or heard) of any dog owner being penalized for the bad behavior of their dog...unless it mauls or kills someone, or kills someone else's pet. Maybe some stricter enforcement and fines for the owners might curtail some of the bad behavior of their pets. But that is just a pipe dream. So, unfortunately, when being attacked by a random dog, with no owner in sight, one is left with little defense except to do whatever is necessary, with whatever tools are at hand, to preserve one's own safety.
Likes For oldgeezerjeff:
Old 10-14-19, 08:19 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
"there really is no such thing as a bad dog...just bad dog owners"
Sure, but is trying to shake that fundamentally good, but misunderstood hound off your back wheel the best time to be pondering this? Faced with some road rash or bite wounds (at best) or severe injury (at worst), I really don't care how much pain I inflict on some random dog, if it means that I stay upright and it buggers off.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 10-14-19, 08:26 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
I would imagine anyone that treats a dog like this and openly promotes giving them "A busted jaw, poked eye, smacked temple, torn up nose/lips" is probably a bully themselves.

Guess a dog just smells the fear from someone like that a mile away and is probably why they might give chase.
Given that half the time the dog is already giving chase before I have even registered it's presence, hard to know how it's smelling the fear I'm not yet feeling. They can see into the future, I guess. I treat dogs fine, but I have no compunction about hurting a dog that's out to hurt me, if that's what it takes to make it desist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.