Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shopping on Amazon

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shopping on Amazon

Old 10-27-19, 06:18 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Shopping on Amazon

I dont know why but buying bike parts on Amazon makes me nervous. I feel like I am going to get a counterfeit part. Although I have purchased parts and dont think I've ever gotten a fake. Anyone have any issues getting fake counterfeit stuff?
Old 10-27-19, 06:21 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
No issues so far
Old 10-27-19, 06:28 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris!
I dont know why but buying bike parts on Amazon makes me nervous. I feel like I am going to get a counterfeit part. Although I have purchased parts and dont think I've ever gotten a fake. Anyone have any issues getting fake counterfeit stuff?
I generally order parts from JensonUSA, CRC, Modern bike, biketiresdirect, etc...

Amazon is just a step up for Chinese ebay sellers.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 10-27-19, 06:37 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I generally order parts from JensonUSA, CRC, Modern bike, biketiresdirect, etc...

Amazon is weird. They do offer products sold/shipped by Amazon, and that's the safest way to go. Those products come direct from the manufacturer to the Amazon warehouse. So that's your best bet if you want to buy on Amazon. There are just so many freaking scammers and people selling fake crap on there nowadays, from clothes, to beauty products, to cycling stuff.
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 10-27-19, 06:38 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I usually buy that sort of stuff from a large, respected online dealer like Western Bikeworks or Competitive Cyclist. To me, the money saved just isn't worth the potential hassle.

That said, I do buy cycling clothing at amazon and I must say, I have been for the most part very pleased. I am right now wearing bibs and a long sleeve jersey I got from amazon two years ago and it seems not meaningfully different really from my expensive stuff. So far. So, I do think there are ways to save some money in this otherwise insanely expensive sport, if that is a goal. Which it is for me. I just wouldn't try to do it on my frame or drivetrain.
Old 10-27-19, 06:43 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
Amazon is weird. They do offer products sold/shipped by Amazon, and that's the safest way to go. Those products come direct from the manufacturer to the Amazon warehouse. So that's your best bet if you want to buy on Amazon. There are just so many freaking scammers and people selling fake crap on there nowadays, from clothes, to beauty products, to cycling stuff.
weird, or terrible ethics.......

Amazon is fully aware they muddy the water.

As for what I was saying earlier, Modernbike has the G-one speed 29x2.35 at $59.98
or
Amazon for $58.95

for the price difference screw amazon !!! bottom line I'll (maybe) use amazon if I can't get something somewhere else.
Old 10-27-19, 06:45 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I have used eBay extensively in my last 5 builds. No issues at all. In a lot of cases you are buying from a brick and mortar store.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 10-27-19, 07:22 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
Good advice. I only buy sold/shipped by Amazon as well.
Old 10-27-19, 07:37 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
For higher value bike parts (groupset components, tires, etc.), I can usually get better deals on Ebay and from my friends in the UK - so, Amazon is not so appealing.

I've ordered some smaller items, like chains and tubes, and have not had a problem there.
Old 10-27-19, 08:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris!
Itll be pretty obvious if you are buying something fake. the price will either be absurdly low or itll come to you and not be legit. Whatever you think might be fake is most likely not since what amazon seems to be used the most for is accessories. And the accessories arent fake- they are just straight up copies under different brand names.
Old 10-27-19, 08:48 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I have stuck with the thought that if it too good to be true it is. I usually buy from my local bike shop. They are good people and take good care of me. With that said from time to time I do buy online and Amazon's free shipping and returns is nice. I'm in the market for a new disc rotor. Maybe I'll just take a quick ride over to the local bike shop.
Old 10-27-19, 09:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Most of my online purchases are from Amazon. No problems here. But I'm wary of offers that seem too good to be true. Occasionally there are valid reasons why a genuine product is heavily discounted. Sometimes it's just a pricing error or promotional deal hoping to sway Prime members toward another product, manufacturer or vendor.

I suspect that one reason why Amazon gets a reputation for counterfeit goods is because of consumer reviews based on ignorance or unrealistic expectations.

I've seen many negative reviews for bicycle tubes sold on Amazon. After reading enough reviews, including other reviews by the same members, it appears that many complaints about "bad" tubes are due to user error. Locally I've watched enough cyclists struggle to fix a flat that I'm convinced many folks have no idea how to properly fix a flat. If they claim a tube burst for no good reason, I'm betting they didn't take adequate care to avoid pinching the tube (such as using a tire lever to seat the tire, rather than a proper tool like a Kool Stop bead jack). Or they didn't ensure the tire bead was seated, so the tube sneaked out between the tire and rim during inflation and burst. Heck, I've made both of those mistakes. There was nothing wrong with the tubes. It was user error.

And even some experienced cyclists get in way too much of a hurry fixing flats and make mistakes. Such as not checking inside the tire for whatever caused the first flat. So they end up with two or more punctures from the same grass burr, nail or broken glass. And if they brought only one CO2 cartridge and no patch kit or pump, they're getting irritable and likely to blame anyone other than themselves.

Sometimes it's unrealistic expectations. People buy something like the Continental Race 28 Light tubes, which are almost paper thin, and are then surprised that these tubes puncture more easily and are totally unforgiving of user error. It's essential to use a bead jack rather than tire irons, and use powder or soapy water to slick up the tube to minimize the risk of pinching it. But I see endless complaints about "counterfeit" Continental Race 28 and Race 28 Light tubes -- the tubes are genuine, but the users need to work on their technique. Especially if they're getting flats immediately with the Race 28, which are not fragile lightweight tubes -- they're actually quiet thick and heavy.

Same issue with gripes about bike chains from Amazon. Often when the reviewer provides enough information it turns out the "skipping" or malfunctioning chain was mismatched for their cassette or freewheel, or they failed to cut the chain to the appropriate length. Not long ago a local acquaintance blamed a bike shop for selling a defective rear derailleur. The problem was the cyclist cut the chain too short, shifted into the big chainring and big rear cog simultaneously and ripped the rear derailleur right off the bike. User error, but the first urge was to blame the bike shop or manufacturer.

And some Amazon vendors ship the wrong product. Maybe it was mislabeled in the listing. Or they used stock art for the wrong product. A few years ago a vendor using Amazon as an outlet advertised a form fitting Targus for the then-new Amazon Kindle Fire HD. But they sent the case for the earlier non-HD tablet. Different size, and the form fitting, snap-in design had zero room for error. Some customers complained about "counterfeits." But it was vendor error, sending a genuine item that was the wrong type and size. I didn't bother exchanging it because the discounted sales price was so cheap it wasn't worth bothering fussing over.

Some customers mistake newly redesigned packaging, or bulk packaging, for evidence of counterfeiting. For example, after many years of using the same chain model designations and cardboard boxes, KMC fairly recently revamped its product line, model designations and packaging. Some reviewers thought these were counterfeits. A quick check of the website would answer the question.

And some tires and tubes are sold without packaging for retail sales. They're genuine items, but originally intended for bulk sales to teams or bike shops. Maybe the team changed specs to another sponsor. Maybe the bike shop stopped carrying that product. Maybe it was an overstock. But the absence of retail packaging doesn't mean it's counterfeit.

Last edited by canklecat; 10-27-19 at 09:59 PM.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-28-19, 04:47 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
The only thing to watch on Amazon is brands and where located. I do not like having things shipped from Asia, it is a hassle of you need to return. That is not limited to bike stuff. Jenson our other reputable online parts houses often are quite competitive anyway. eBay has been a great source especially on good used/vintage parts.
Old 10-28-19, 09:25 AM
Metieval

not in original package needs to be labeled, as such!

it usually is labeled on Ebay. And I do buy those items from ebay. or even "New take off items" but they are again labeled as such.

I would expect original package from amazon!
Old 10-28-19, 09:34 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
If you really want to find fakes, scams and counterfeits...

...then Facebook Marketplace should be your playground.
Old 10-28-19, 09:58 AM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval

Only you can filter out most Chinese sellers on eBay and not on Amazon.
Old 10-28-19, 10:02 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Falkon
Only you can filter out most Chinese sellers on eBay and not on Amazon.
Good point!
Old 10-28-19, 10:39 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
I think the "fakes" come in 2 varieties.
  1. Low end merchandise. They aren't really fakes, rather knockoffs trying to cause confusion by using names similar to Shimano, but perhaps intentionally misspelled. "Shimona"? SunRun vs SunRace?
  2. Bicycle Frames. This has hit off and on for years. Either simply taking an off-brand frame and repainting, or now in China, making true fakes of big name brands. I don't think these are hitting Amazon much at this time, but have hit other online stores such as Alibaba or AliExpress.
It is hard to say whether we're seeing other fakes.

As mentioned, keep in mind the risks and benefits of buying China Direct.
Old 10-28-19, 12:54 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
read the reviews and the shipping. not fool proof but will help
Old 10-28-19, 01:21 PM
SpinClassSara

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I don't blame you - I've heard not to buy makeup on Amazon as it can be fake.
Old 10-28-19, 02:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
And if you're relying on reviews, there's a browser attachment called "Fakespot" that works pretty well at determining whether the reviews are being cooked.
Old 10-28-19, 03:08 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Had not even heard of it before this. Guess I am out of touch with social media...
Old 10-28-19, 03:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
I think the reviews do help. But, read them with caution. There was a review that someone posted here of a cycleops trainer, I think. It looks like someone took an angle grinder to it.

I just purchased some car parts from a company that showed up on my searches. Prices were low enough that I was able to upgrade my purchase from what I would have bought to the next higher quality part. But, the vendor had abysmal ratings. The package came quickly, and seems to be my order. I need to bump up a 5-star review once I get the parts installed.
Old 10-28-19, 03:53 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
You mean "Rolex" doesn't have two L's?
Old 10-28-19, 04:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
There's no reason to avoid Amazon (other than ethical issues beyond the scope of this forum -- same with any online vendor or supplier). As someone else suggested above, just read the listings and details for the vendor and shipping.

Or make it easier and buy only products actually stocked and shipped by Amazon directly. This is generally foolproof, quicker and easier to resolve any problems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.