Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Replacing Fulcrum 7 Rear Wheel Freehub Bearings

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-19, 08:47 AM
Crashleigh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I've recently came across some freehub trouble on my Cube Peloton road bike and was wandering whether someone could help me with replacing the bearings? It's a Fulcrum Racing 7 freehub. I found a video on overhauling a Falcrum 5 hub on youtube (I assume there pretty much the same?) but it doesn't explain what tools I should be using when taking out/putting back in the bearings. Would someone be able to name the tools I would need? The cheaper the better.

Any other tips would also be very welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-19, 09:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Try this document as I think this covers the same construction:

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...nolo_12_12.pdf
Old 11-02-19, 10:14 AM
MagicHour

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Go to fulcrum site and see if they have download pdf for your model/year wheelset w parts diagram. That will give you an idea of what you’re looking at.
Old 11-02-19, 10:18 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
You'll need to be more precise. There are several "Fulcrum 7" wheelsets over the years.

https://www.frfsports.com/wheels-tyr...spares-finder/
Old 11-02-19, 11:13 AM
Crashleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried looking up the technical specification but I can't seem to find a' how-to' on removing the bearings. Marcus, how would I find the exact model of my wheel? Thinking about it I assume you search up the make/model of the bike and go from there?
Old 11-02-19, 11:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Try this document as I think this covers the same construction:

Originally Posted by Crashleigh
I've tried looking up the technical specification but I can't seem to find a' how-to' on removing the bearings. Marcus, how would I find the exact model of my wheel? Thinking about it I assume you search up the make/model of the bike and go from there?
Google is your friend.. From the first link I provided.. Operation 014 search result:

Old 11-02-19, 11:28 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
You might have more luck over on the mechanics forum. Lots of experienced wrenches hang out over there. But you will need tools to extract the bearing..a bearing puller is often required but sometimes they can be banged out with a hammer and punch. Then you will need a press to install new ones. Often its easier just to buy a new free hub as the cost of tools and bearings is more than the freehub. If you plan to do a lot of wrenching involving servicing your own bearings, then it make sense to buy the tools.
Old 11-02-19, 11:44 AM
Crashleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks SY Reen I did try a quick search on that part of the manual but couldn't find it. I guess my google searching skills are lacking

Also DOS thanks for the advice. Didn't realize there was a separate forum for mechanical issues.

I did manage find another video on youtube by ozcycle (Extract & press freehub bearings- no special tools) that recommends using bolts, nuts and washers to remove and then press the bearings in. This seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to do the job so I think I will be trying that on my next day off.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!
Old 11-02-19, 11:53 AM
DOS

Thanks SY Reen I did try a quick search on that part of the manual but couldn't find it. I guess my google searching skills are lacking

Also DOS thanks for the advice. Didn't realize there was a separate forum for mechanical issues.

I did manage find another video on youtube by ozcycle (Extract & press freehub bearings- no special tools) that recommends using bolts, nuts and washers to remove and then press the bearings in. This seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to do the job so I think I will be trying that on my next day off.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!
yep,you can diy a press.I have done that for a variety of things. Freehub bearings aren’t in there super tight so the diy route probably would work. Just make sure the washers you use press only on the metal lip of the outside race otherwise you could damage the new bearing. My bb30 bearings and my hubs are a bit finicky to get bearings straight so I use an actual press with correct drifts for that. Fortunately, I have a friend who owns one so I just borrow.
Old 11-02-19, 12:10 PM
Crashleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
yep,you can diy a press.I have done that for a variety of things. Freehub bearings aren’t in there super tight so the diy route probably would work. Just make sure the washers you use press only on the metal lip of the outside race otherwise you could damage the new bearing. My bb30 bearings and my hubs are a bit finicky to get bearings straight so I use an actual press with correct drifts for that. Fortunately, I have a friend who owns one so I just borrow.
Thanks for the heads up about the washer. I'm to go into B&Q and see if they'll have the sizes I need.

Could you tell me if the number (600 irs) on the old bearings is all the information I need when searching for replacements?
Old 11-02-19, 02:58 PM
DOS

Thanks for the heads up about the washer. I'm to go into B&Q and see if they'll have the sizes I need.

Could you tell me if the number (600 irs) on the old bearings is all the information I need when searching for replacements?

Hmm. The RS just means rubber seal. If it says 2RS it means you have seals on both side. RS mean seal on one side, no seal on the other. Radial bearing sizes are generally in the 6000s so I am not sure what the 600 iRS is. Maybe 6001RS? 6001 would be the size of the bearing. The three measurements you need to know are internal and external diameter and width. 6001 would be 12mm ID, 28Mm OD,and 8MM Width. Also, it might be hard to find bearings sealed on just one side. You can use 2RS bearings. They will have a little more drag, which you wont notice, but last longer. Or you can just take the inward facing seal off.
Old 11-02-19, 04:12 PM
MagicHour

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Not sure what your specs/wheels use but my 5 LG and Quattro LG use these equivalents to fulcrum part no.

Fulcrum R4-004 = 6903-2RS (17x30x7)
Fulcrum RS-011 = 6803-2RS (17x26x5)

If you know your wheels model year go here and look for corresponding spare parts catalog, that will list the fulcrum part number for bearings and also show exploded views.
https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/dow...-documentation

Last edited by MagicHour; 11-02-19 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-02-19, 05:58 PM
DOS

Originally Posted by MagicHour
Not sure what your specs/wheels use but my 5 LG and Quattro LG use these equivalents to fulcrum part no.

Fulcrum R4-004 = 6903-2RS (17x30x7)
Fulcrum RS-011 = 6803-2RS (17x26x5)

If you know your wheels model year go here and look for corresponding spare parts catalog, that will list the fulcrum part number for bearings and also show exploded views.
https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/dow...-documentation
sorry yeah, 6001 is probably gonna be a front hun bearing.
Old 11-02-19, 09:08 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
If it's like Fulcrum 5 there's 4 bearings in the rear. 2 are pretty easy but the 2 on the free hub a bit more of a chore. On the 5 the axle comes apart and you remove both ends (drive side with the free hub). I bought a puller from wheels manufacturing for about $10 IIRC, It goes into the inner race then you tighten against an expanding collar which locks it to the inner race. Then knock it out with a hammer and drift. (3/8 drive extension works for this). To press in the bearing I used the bolt/washers/nut press method. Campy specs 1RS bearing (open on the inside) but i just used 2RS ones.

One bearing on the free hub is also easy but the other one not so much and I admit I haven't tried to do that one.

scott s.
Old 11-04-19, 05:27 AM
Crashleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
Hmm. The RS just means rubber seal. If it says 2RS it means you have seals on both side. RS mean seal on one side, no seal on the other. Radial bearing sizes are generally in the 6000s so I am not sure what the 600 iRS is. Maybe 6001RS? 6001 would be the size of the bearing. The three measurements you need to know are internal and external diameter and width. 6001 would be 12mm ID, 28Mm OD,and 8MM Width. Also, it might be hard to find bearings sealed on just one side. You can use 2RS bearings. They will have a little more drag, which you wont notice, but last longer. Or you can just take the inward facing seal off.
Ah okay in that case it makes more sense that it says 6001 rs rather than 600 irs. Thanks for the explanation.

MagicHour thanks for the link, I'll look up the bike model year and see if I can get a bit more of a detailed view.

Scott967 I'll be replacing the whole free hub body as one of the pawls are broken on it as well as worn out bearings so its only the bearings in the actual wheel ill be replacing so hopefully I wont have too much hardship.