Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need an advice in groupset compatibility

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-08-19, 05:04 AM
Benbenishti81

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,
This is my first post in these forums. I hope that I post in the correct group.
I need some advice with choosing the best upgrade for an existing mixed groupset. I'm pretty lost. Asked several local mechanics and received contradicting answers, some of them I couldn't even understand..
So, the story goes like this - I ride a nice aluminum frame CX frame. Redline Conquest from 2003.
I bought it already with mixed groupset. My mechanic had to replace the front and rear cogs. So currently I have:
Shimano RSX 8 speed rear derailleur with Shimano CS-HG31-8 cassette.
In the front I have a modern Sora with two cogs.
My left shifter is again RSX. It performs great and I have no issues with it.
My right shifter is my problem. It is probably some kind of old 8 speed Sora. Perhaps ST-3300, even though it had a small plastic speed indicator which doesn't exist on the ST-3300, so I'm not really sure. Mechanically it also works fine. Unfortunately I still cannot post urls or photos to this forum..
The issue is that the rubber hood of that right shifter is a mess. It started to tear and generally it just not aesthetic. I would like to fix that.
Preferably I would like just to buy a new hood cover for this. But as it is an old shifter, these are hard to come by and usually are expensive.
So probably it would be better to replace this shifter with another one that can handle my 8 speed mixed groupset.
What could work?
I guess that I can but a Claris right shifter (right?), but I don't really want to buy the cheapest shifter in the market.. I've heard that there's a maker called Microshift from Taiwan that makes compatible components. Would that be an option?
Can I but a 9 speed Sora shifter? Will I need to add a pull-ratio converter like the one from Problem Solvers?
I would happy to have any advice that will help me to upgrade my shifting experience. Thank you all. I'm really lost at the moment!

A.
Old 11-08-19, 05:47 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Not a mechanic, but wrench my own bikes. I love the MicroShift STI type shifters. Has proven smooth and crisp.
Old 11-08-19, 06:08 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I have also had good experience with Microshift components.
Old 11-08-19, 06:20 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
I recall both sora and claris had gear windows at various points. Look closely under the hood for some markings to determine the model.Often shimano model numbers are marked on the plastic. But I think sora 8 should work with your RSX. But I don’t know why a replacement hood should cost a lot. I just replaced mine for 12 bucks.
Old 11-08-19, 07:15 AM
Benbenishti81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
I recall both sora and claris had gear windows at various points. Look closely under the hood for some markings to determine the model.Often shimano model numbers are marked on the plastic. But I think sora 8 should work with your RSX. But I don’t know why a replacement hood should cost a lot. I just replaced mine for 12 bucks.
Thank you all. Regarding the replacement hoods - they seem to be cheap and abundant as long as they match a modern groupset. Since mine is very old (Perhaps 15 years, or even more) I can find only couple of used shifters in bad shape. I'm not keen on the old Sora.
If there shouldn't be any compatibility problem with my current system, I guess I'll order the R8 microshift shifter. The reviews seem to be very positive for the price.
Old 11-08-19, 09:18 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
A 9sp Shimano or Microshift road shifter would work with your derailleur as long as you get a 9 sp cassette to go with. Just because that part of your question wasn't answered.
Old 11-09-19, 03:54 PM
Benbenishti81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, I just wanted to update, for future generations-
After some further research I found out that an existing Shimano tourney A070 hood replacement (which was available for about 9$) looks remarkably identical to the Sora ST-3300/3400 that I probably have. I'm afraid to peel the rubber hood to look at the exact model number because it may completely tear it apart.
After I receive the item I'll come back to report if it does fit in practice.
Old 11-10-19, 10:45 PM
MoreLowGears

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 5 Posts
An 8-speed Shimano brifter with a gear indicator sounds like a Claris ST-2300 or ST-2400.

Replacement hoods are expensive and hard to find for older groupsets. A year ago when I was looking for a replacement ST-3300 hood, I found it was cheaper to buy new shifters than to buy the last pair of replacement hoods in existence on eBay .

I've used the MicroShift 3x7 levers, which outwardly appear the same as the 8-speed ones. Functionally it worked fine, but I found them uncomfortable and didn't like how much force was required to push the levers. The current and previous generation of Claris shifters are awesome (I've used Sora from those generation and have heard Claris work exactly the same), and are worth the extra cash if you can justify it.
Old 11-10-19, 11:00 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
I you end up replacing the shifter, just replace the right and upgrade to 9 speed, which has a much wider variety of gear combos.
A new 9 speed cassette & chain aren't much more expensive then 8 speed.
There's not a more economical time to do it.