Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Value of 1985 Koga Miyata Frame + fork ?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-19, 04:24 PM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there,

I have the same frame as pictured below.

It's a 1985 Koga Miyata Roadrunner . It's some sort of tourer/randonneur/audax frame I think. It's steel. The steel is marked as Hi-Manga.

I am planning on taking the parts off of it and putting most of them on a newly purchased Surly LHT frame as I have finally come round to the fact that this frame is too small for me.

The frame is in pretty good condition , no dents or damage but wear on the paintwork as you'd expect.

It takes modern wheel spacing , 135 on the rear etc, same for the fork. Has a threaded headset. I will sell it with the headset.

What would be a fair price to put it for sale at ?

I was thinking around the equivalent $150 - €120 or so.

Is that about right? Just wanted to check here in case its some kind of rare piece of cycling history first

Old 11-11-19, 04:48 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
I can't help with the value but I think you should sell it as a complete bike and buy nicer kit for the Surly.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-11-19, 05:04 PM
jambon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I can't help with the value but I think you should sell it as a complete bike and buy nicer kit for the Surly.
Thanks , that bike pictured is not my actual bike but it is the exact same frame ,the kit I have on it is pretty up to date , nice mavic wheeset ,brooks b17, shimano cx10 cantis , schwalbe marathon supreme, shimano bar ends , tektro levers , shimano drive train. I upgraded it as I went but things got a little out of hand as can happen: :-)
Old 11-12-19, 11:19 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
It always helps to have photos of your exact bike/frame.

$150 would seem to be a reasonable asking price. Even $200. However, it depends on how patient you are. I've observed that used frames for sale locally on Craigslist really get beat up on the prices. You could be down in the $75 range.

On E-Bay, perhaps a bit higher, but if you use "buy-it-now", it could require a lot of patience.

Keep in mind shipping and packing costs. International shipping?

BikeForums has a Classic/Vintage sales forum, but requires a paid membership. Prices also vary somewhat. And, I still wouldn't expect top dollar.
Old 11-12-19, 11:39 AM
jambon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is the actual frame itself that I own;

Old 11-12-19, 02:56 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
I have too much free time, I perused through the Koga Miyata catalogs. Your frame is from 1989, it's triple butted chromoly with a Hi-Manga fork. It looks to be similar to the Miyata 610 touring bike that was sold in north America. I don't know what the market's like in Ireland, but I think it should be worth $150.

Koga_Brochure_1989.pdf
Old 11-12-19, 05:46 PM
jambon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brian3069
I have too much free time, I perused through the Koga Miyata catalogs. Your frame is from 1989, it's triple butted chromoly with a Hi-Manga fork. It looks to be similar to the Miyata 610 touring bike that was sold in north America. I don't know what the market's like in Ireland, but I think it should be worth $150.

Koga_Brochure_1989.pdf
Thanks for that !
Old 11-14-19, 02:11 PM
brennie 

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia (3Rensho), Mercian, Miyata TripleCross, Specialized StreetStomper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Not entirely sure but that's a great bike.
Old 11-15-19, 09:43 AM
jambon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is a great bike , the frame is similar maybe to a surly cross check or kona ***** tonk , a kind of light multipurpose steel frame. It has some interesting touches like internal routing for the rear brake cable , a chainstay protector device , a mount for a dynamo light and braze ons for a dutch style wheel lock. I don't think I i
will part with it now.