Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Horror Tours and/or Touring Days

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 05:55 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We always tell each other about the good tours, but what about the bad ones or the bad touring days.

My worst tour was in France along the Loire de Velo (100's of KM bike trail along the Loire river). Magnificant scenery, great conditions but I had agreed to go along with a friend of a friend. He was the most single annoying guy of all time. I can handle incoherent stories (about fluffy bunnies and peanut butter) or akward stories (his wife wont' do certain things in the sack with him) but the constant "are we there yet" just killed me. I would have dropped him, but he was so hopeless he would never have made it back to society in one piece.

My worst day was last week. Again in France (coincidence) out of the saddle and climbing a hill. Handle bars snap, I go flying forward, handle bar fragment goes flying back towards my groin. Bang. Instant agnory 50km from the nearest sizable town. I cried all the way there.
Old 05-04-18, 06:38 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
We always tell each other about the good tours, but what about the bad ones or the bad touring days.

My worst tour was in France along the Loire de Velo (100's of KM bike trail along the Loire river). Magnificant scenery, great conditions but I had agreed to go along with a friend of a friend. He was the most single annoying guy of all time. I can handle incoherent stories (about fluffy bunnies and peanut butter) or akward stories (his wife wont' do certain things in the sack with him) but the constant "are we there yet" just killed me. I would have dropped him, but he was so hopeless he would never have made it back to society in one piece.

My worst day was last week. Again in France (coincidence) out of the saddle and climbing a hill. Handle bars snap, I go flying forward, handle bar fragment goes flying back towards my groin. Bang. Instant agnory 50km from the nearest sizable town. I cried all the way there.
If this was a friend then how did you not know that he / she would be telling you about fluffy bunnies and peanut butter?

"fluffy bunnies and peanut butter"? Wut?
Old 05-04-18, 06:44 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by raria

how did the handlebars snap? what material were they?
Old 05-04-18, 07:01 AM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spinnaker
If this was a friend then how did you not know that he / she would be telling you about fluffy bunnies and peanut butter?

"fluffy bunnies and peanut butter"? Wut?
Read my OP! Friend of a friend!

The problem is he had this droning voice that went on and on and on. So I would tune in and out. For one story it started up his pet bunny when he was a kid and I tuned out and when I tuned back in again he was talking about PB. He also kept on going on about his great memory and great virtues.
Old 05-04-18, 07:05 AM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ALU. The snapping was *exactly* like this. Video: Pro rider takes a nasty fall as handlebars are snapped clean off | road.cc

See how is groin hits the head tube? I got the head tube *and* part of the bars. I was climbing so didn't slide as far as him which was fortunate. I think when I was climbing I must have pulled/pushed too much on the bars along with the 30 pound load at the back caused the fatigue.

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
how did the handlebars snap? what material were they?
Old 05-04-18, 07:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,532 Times in 7,328 Posts
I've never had a horror tour. I have had some less than fun days, due mostly to weather conditions.

One memorable twenty-four hour period came early during my group x-country trip, which was my first tour. I had never camped before. I asked to be a part of the last pairing of dinner cookers so I could watch and learn from others. When my turn finally came around, the large pot for cooking pasta fell over half way to boil so my partner and I had to start again. Went to re-position one of the Coleman stoves and learned from experience that there are certain parts your should not touch if it's been burning for any length of time. Large, second degree burn on my right index finger. The next morning we were all standing around in camp eating breakfast when it started to snow. Ever try packing a tent with a large, painful burn on your index finger? I was the last person out on the road that morning. At least the snow had stopped--until 3/4 of the way up Sherman Pass--when it started again. Snow intensified during the descent. At one point I stopped and took shelter in the woods, shaking from the cold. When I finally made it to Colville, the camping arrangements were less than ideal. Got a room at a motel. So did most of the others in the group. It felt like heaven. My finger still hurt like hell. But I was man enough not to cry.
Old 05-04-18, 07:41 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
close to assploding cf, but just be a scant few cm's forward.
Old 05-04-18, 09:18 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
As far as conditions? Probably having to pedal downhill into the wind in Iceland.

As far as trip dynamics? Two guys tagging onto my trip who didn't bother to understand that it was a bicycling trip, not just a vacation using bikes to check out scenery.

But yeah, neither were really horror.
Old 05-04-18, 09:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Romania has Bram Stoker fans to thank for making a tourist draw,
into the castles of their Transylvania region.. horror as a tourist draw..

August 91 in eastern bavaria My campsite flooded out, but asking for help, the next few days I was the guest of the village burgermeister & family , so it was actually one of the fond memories of the trip..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-05-18 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 11:46 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Nothing yet. I tour by myself. There are no bad bike rides, just poor clothing choices, choose wisely.
Old 05-05-18, 04:14 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
drama ..
Old 05-05-18, 01:43 PM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
France for me ,i though Ireland was bad for rain it wouldn't have a look in .monsoon rain for 3 days never let me forget it,i done a uturn for roscoff got the ferry back to Ireland .
Old 05-05-18, 06:10 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Not a horror for me, as I don’t mind the rain so much and I was happily riding my bike every day, but my best friend hated the 12 or so days in a row of rain on one tour. I really want to tour Ireland. I won’t be surprised if it’s the same.

I guess the most annoying thing for me that I’ve dealt with were some annoying lazy hippie kids trying to mooch off of us for about a week or so on the US west coast. Luckily we lost them. Annoying scammers in San Jose, Costa Rica was kinda frustrating a couple times, but not a huge deal.
Old 05-05-18, 06:49 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Two cyclists were recently killed in Chaipas, Mexico -
Either run off the road or worse.

I really feel for people who have to ride with chatty partners or have mechanical problems or have a few rainy days.
Old 05-05-18, 07:42 PM
djb

Originally Posted by jamawani

I really feel for people who have to ride with chatty partners or have mechanical problems or have a few rainy days.
link please to Mexican incident.

American pancake houses had fatalities also, but I do get your drift. So many people receive bad medical news or are involved in terrible accidents, so puts things in perspective as you point out.

I am serous about the details of what you mentioned, I would like to know the when, where, specifics etc. I rode through that state lat year and am in contact with others going through the general area now. And pancake house reference aside, I suspect unfortunately that in the time I'm writing this, an armed robbery has gone wrong for some unfortunate soul in some regular place in the states.
Old 05-05-18, 07:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Oh its fatalities you want?

Elderly father and adult son , on Oregon Coast tour, a few years ago wind shear off the front of a truck
caused the elder man,to lose control , he fell to his left , under the trailer wheels..

there are other ways.
Years ago, I noticed,
Europe has something like guard rails on the heavy goods trailers .. to reduce the occurrence lf this
and small car collisions should happen.
Contrast, US has began putting a plastic skirt in this location,
On their trailers for improved fuel efficiency..

I also noted front guard discs so spinning lug nuts would do less damage if contacted, in Europe,
US drivers put chrome plated spike covers over their front wheels lug nuts..

Old 05-05-18, 08:39 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Chiapas link -
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/bod...nd-in-chiapas/
Old 05-05-18, 09:33 PM
djb

Thanks jama, I'm very sorry to read about this. something fishy probably went on there given that both were found in the ravine, and I tend to doubt how much proper information comes out of the investigation.
I did not ride this specific road, but will remember the details.
my thoughts to those close to these two fellows.
Old 05-05-18, 10:53 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sad but

Lets keep it light heartwd and something you have experienced otherwise we'll all get depressed and jittery!
Old 05-05-18, 11:36 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Two cyclists were recently killed in Chaipas, Mexico - Either run off the road or worse.....
false dichotomy? ....assuming "or worse" implies criminal activity.

sometimes accidents happen:. could have simply gone off the edge of a road with no barrier, didn't see the edge.........foggy, rainy, riding at night, sleepy, distracted, fiddling with gps, not paying attention after 8 hours of continuous riding, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...-cyclists.html
Old 05-05-18, 11:48 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
My worst time was not on a bicycle but on a motorcycle, but nothing bad actually happened. Just westbound for two days from Chicago to Denver, head down, sun always in your eyes and never sets, nowhere to go except the interstate so just twist the grip and try to get it over with, but eventually you wake up to the fact you’re going 55 because the buffeting at 75 was too much.

I've had many days that had more bad things happen or miserable weather but they have the virtue of being interesting or making good stories.
Old 05-05-18, 11:57 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
boredom!. riding highway 1 from broome to geraldton. nearly 2000 km of mesquite scrubland, far enough from the coast to prevent the sighting of scenic scenery, but close enough to suffer constant headwinds.

only spot of interest was the stromatolites at hamelin bay. wow! two weeks of riding and the only excitement was some crusty old bacteria.
Old 05-06-18, 07:10 AM
3speed

You’re right. No one should ever consider anything bad unless they were killed by it. No one is allowed to be down about anything ever again. What’s that, you were beaten as a chilld? Well kids in Asia get killed in factories all the time, so what happened to you isn’t bad. Quit your *****in!
What Were we thinking, considering things bad that didn’t even kill us...
Old 05-06-18, 08:12 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Originally Posted by 3speed
What’s that, you were beaten as a chilld?
The title of the thread is "Horror Tours" - not "Unpleasant Tours" or "Bad Touring Days".
Kinda like Ms. Cosby saying that Bill Cosby was lynched.
Not to mention that this thread is juxtaposed with the thread on the deaths of two riders in Mexico.

BTW, I was sexually assaulted and almost killed on a tour many years ago.
(And have toured tens of thousands of miles since.)

The reality is that there ARE considerable risks in touring.
Women - esp. solo women - are at considerably more risk - which is why you rarely see solo women.
"Bike & Build" has had a number of fatalities recently - yet they refuse to advocate for touring safety.
New Zealand, despite its beauty, is profoundly dangerous for cyclists.

"Oh, the horror! I had lots of mosquitoes at my campsite."

<<<>>>

I'll say what I want on these threads - particularly when it is civilly stated and apropo.
Even if it results in personal attacks.
Old 05-06-18, 04:03 PM
3speed

Maybe the OP should have consulted you before deciding on a title for their thread to make sure the wording they chose is appropriate.
I just scrolled back through the thread to make sure and didn’t see any personal attacks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.