Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Are prices increasing for Chinese made bikes?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 09-02-19, 02:01 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts

I noticed that Citizenbike have raised their prices on all the models.

Portable & Folding Bikes

Could this be a direct consequence of the higher tariffs due to the "trade war" between the U.S. and China? Has anyone noticed any price increases on any other brands that come from there? Or maybe there is another reason such as higher labor costs, higher transportation or maybe Citizenbike feels their products are worth the price hike.

Please if you are going to post your observations on this topic, keep politics out of this. We want a civil and adult conversation, not a mud slinging match. Thanks.

Last edited by edwong3; 09-02-19 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 03:28 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Tariffs.
Old 09-02-19, 08:39 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Duty on bikes & parts arriving after October 1st will be 41%. Last year it was 11%, I don't think anyone can eat this much duty. Customers will pay more.

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 09-02-19, 08:53 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
I don't think anyone can eat this much duty.
I try to keep my duty intake at 0%, personally. 😂
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 09-02-19, 09:29 PM
edwong3

So I guess the impact of the duties will be felt more starting next month (October).

On a different note, I went to your website and was pleasantly surprised by the prices on your bikes. The Nova is still sub $300 US while the 8FS 8SP is sub $400 US. Hopefully, in spite of the rising tariffs and or duties, the prices on these models will remain affordable. We can only hope.

Duty on bikes & parts arriving after October 1st will be 41%. Last year it was 11%, I don't think anyone can eat this much duty. Customers will pay more.

Thanks
Yan
Old 09-03-19, 04:55 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
The yuan is down 9.3% vs. the dollar in the past six months.
Old 09-03-19, 05:23 AM
downtube

The current duty rate is 36%, it jumps 5% in a few weeks. I am nearly sold out of Nova bikes. The new models arrive at the end of the month, and there will be a price increase. Due to slow sales I am streamling my lineup. I will continue with the 9FS, but the 8FS will be discontinued after it sells out.

I have talked with friends in the industry and it seems sales are down 20%+ for this group. Therefore, I believe the recession is already here and there should be some insolvencies in the next year.

Thanks
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 09-03-19, 05:31 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by tcs
The yuan is down 9.3% vs. the dollar in the past six months.
Factory prices are normally provided in US currency, since no one in the USA can hold Yuan ( in the USA ). Therefore this would have a minimal affect on costs.

Many companies got screwed with boats on the water when Trump announced this stuff. It negatively affected their business model ( with no notice ).

I am selling out of most bikes & restocking only the best sellers. I don't want to have high inventory during a downturn.

Thanks
Yan
Old 09-03-19, 07:58 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts

Thanks
Yan
Where is the 41% number found? I am seeing 25%.
Old 09-03-19, 08:00 AM
downtube

The 25% jumps to 30% on October 1. This is in addition to the 11% standard duty. All together it adds up to 36% today and 41% starting October 1.

Thanks
Yan
Old 09-03-19, 08:33 AM
edwong3

And of course the end user (consumer) is going to have to cough up the additional cash if they want to buy these items. It puts the retailer in a tough place because they will have to raise prices in order to neutralize the higher costs to import these products and risk alienating some of their customers. I feel for you Yan and all the other sellers and have nothing but respect for meeting the challenges "head on" when trying to run a profitable business while providing great quality products and service.

The 25% jumps to 30% on October 1. This is in addition to the 11% standard duty. All together it adds up to 36% today and 41% starting October 1.

Thanks
Yan
Old 09-03-19, 09:14 AM
downtube

I don't think anyone will be profitable in this environment. These duties change on a daily basis with no notice...really hard to plan for a future that changes daily. Thankfully I have a teaching appointment to care for my family.

As I mentioned earlier I expect the market to compress ( via insolvencies ). I think euromini is at high risk ( having launched recently ). Bike Friday is always at risk. I love Bike Friday, so I hope they will be ok. Tern has so much drama with the frame debacle, they will always be high risk.

I have positioned us to be viable during a downturn. However we will have a trimmed lineup. I am discontinuing the 8S, 8FS, 8C, mini, and minib. I am considering trimming even more.

Thanks
Yan
Old 09-03-19, 09:34 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I don't think anyone will be profitable in this environment. These duties change on a daily basis with no notice...really hard to plan for a future that changes daily. Thankfully I have a teaching appointment to care for my family.

As I mentioned earlier I expect the market to compress ( via insolvencies ). I think euromini is at high risk ( having launched recently ). Bike Friday is always at risk. I love Bike Friday, so I hope they will be ok. Tern has so much drama with the frame debacle, they will always be high risk.

I have positioned us to be viable during a downturn. However we will have a trimmed lineup. I am discontinuing the 8S, 8FS, 8C, mini, and minib. I am considering trimming even more.

Thanks
Yan
Bike Friday recently acquired a lot of funding/investors. And since they can use US steel and make their frames here, it's components only that will see the tariff increases. And they have connected more with US component manufacturers as well (those that exist). Furthermore, their customers are already paying a premium for a custom bike USA made and will support whatever increase comes along. It's a different mindset from purchasing something like Euromini.
Old 09-03-19, 09:40 AM
downtube

Linberl,

Everything you said is true. However BF got funding because they were not so solvent. The CEO said this on their site a couple years back. They have cut down on their business many times to reduce costs ( they used to make strollers ). I don't think an economic downturn ( even with high import duties ) will be good for them.

Thanks
Yan
Old 09-03-19, 11:05 AM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
One could choose not to buy Chinese products. I do my very best to avoid giving my money to that country.
Likes For CSG:
Old 09-03-19, 12:30 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
...However BF got funding because they were not so solvent. The CEO said this on their site a couple years back. They have cut down on their business many times to reduce costs ( they used to make strollers )....
Bike Friday Strollers? Got a pic or a link? I know Alan is involved in utility carts, but never heard of a BF stroller before.
Old 09-03-19, 02:24 PM
edwong3

With so many (the majority in fact) consumer products coming from China, good luck with that task.

Originally Posted by CSG
One could choose not to buy Chinese products. I do my very best to avoid giving my money to that country.
Old 09-03-19, 02:36 PM
downtube

I meant trailers. I & use the terms strollers & trailers interchangeably.

Thanks
Yan
Old 09-03-19, 02:39 PM
downtube

Originally Posted by edwong3
With so many (the majority in fact) consumer products coming from China, good luck with that task.
BF & Worksman ( trikes ) are the only USA folder manufacturers. I don't see a difference buying Chinese, Vietnamese, Taiwanese. Therefore I think consumers are essentially screwed.

Thanks
Yan
Old 09-03-19, 02:53 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
BF & Worksman ( trikes ) are the only USA folder manufacturers. I don't see a difference buying Chinese, Vietnamese, Taiwanese. Therefore I think consumers are essentially screwed.

Thanks
Yan
There's a few wee little differences.

Neither Taiwan nor Vietnam is holding hundreds of thousands of their own citizens in concentration camps for starters.
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 09-03-19, 03:16 PM
downtube

Are they similar to the camps on the southern USA border?

Thanks
Yan
Old 09-03-19, 03:45 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Are they similar to the camps on the southern USA border?

Thanks
Yan
Yeah, there's some striking similarities between the camps on the U.S.A.-Mexico border and the camps in China. To the shame of both countries not only do these camps exist at all, but in both cases they contain prisoners who are generally of a different ethnicity from the officials who ordered them locked up.

I'm not going to heap praise on the U.S.A. It's always had plenty of faults. But China is a totalitarian state. I think it's reasonable to weigh this into consideration when purchasing products. I personally do buy goods which are made in China sometimes. But I'll always have a think about it. For example, one of my favourite threads here on forums is this: https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...nterested.html. I read the whole thing start to finish a few years ago, absorbed in the magic of an idea bantered about in a public online forum getting turned into a tangible and rather stunning product. Of course production for this version of the Swift folder is in China. I noticed that the factory is located in North-Central China away from the large bicycle industry centred in and around Shenzen. I've been tempted to buy one since I read about it. But I always hesitate. Titanium is often used to build sophisticated weapons such as aircraft and missiles. How can I rest assured that I'm not investing in a totalitarian country's war machine when I buy such a thing? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of U.S. arms manufacturers either, and I realise that whenever I do business with an American company a portion of the transaction generally goes to the U.S. government in tax. But if I were to buy a Bike Friday (just as an example) I'm pretty confident that the company doesn't make weapons of mass destruction. That's important to me.

Last edited by joey buzzard; 09-03-19 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-03-19, 03:56 PM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by edwong3
Thanks, I'm doing just fine with it.
Likes For CSG:
Old 09-03-19, 04:12 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
I meant trailers. I & use the terms strollers & trailers interchangeably.

Thanks
Yan
Did BF actually make any trailers or strollers other than the metal frame trailer kit which allowed a suitcase to be towed?

I thought trailers were more Alan Scholz's thing, because he started Burley Designs. Burley definitely made trailers, but not under BF's auspices to the best of my knowledge.

https://www.burley.com/about-us/
Old 09-03-19, 04:18 PM
edwong3

Not wanting to be a party poo-per, but remember what I said at the start of the thread to keep politics out of these discussions, or at the very least this topic since it is so controversial. We're all in this together and finger pointing is so wasteful and non productive.

Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Yeah, there's some striking similarities between the camps on the U.S.A.-Mexico border and the camps in China. To the shame of both countries not only do these camps exist at all, but in both cases they contain prisoners who are generally of a different ethnicity from the officials who ordered them locked up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.