Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

H. Tano frame, 1982 based on Centurion Semi Pro

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-19, 01:28 AM
brodycycle

Bikes: H. Tano (Kobe Japan) Custom, Scott CR1 Upgraded, Scott Speedster Upgraded

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

When I was in Korea with the Air Force I needed to replace a broken Centurion frame that was made by H. Tano. They returned my letter and told me that I need to go to their factory in Kobe Japan to get it. It was a neat adventure. I have kept much of the original components on it, just changed the brakes, levers, and pedals. It has the original Suntour headset, RD, FD, shifters. Crankset is a Shimano Biopace, saddle is Brooks B17. All paint is original. What is it worth?

Newer Cane Creek levers.

Original Silca pump and tubing sticker.

Tubing sticker.

Frame as I bought it, original paint.

Fork Sticker.

Shimano 105 Biopace.

Original Wolber Gengleman rims.
Likes For brodycycle:
Old 11-16-19, 05:44 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
What is the frame serial number?
Old 11-16-19, 07:27 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Something looks off with those brake levers.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-16-19, 07:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That bike looks great. It's odd to see a Japanese bike with superchampion rims as original equipment but this may be more common than I thought.

Last edited by bikemig; 11-16-19 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-16-19, 09:04 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I think you’ll be competing with Centurion Ironman so price would probably be comparable. The Ironman continues to be one of the better values often priced $200-$250. More on eBay but not high enough to cover shipping and fees.
Old 11-16-19, 03:45 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I think this has a few more alterations than mentioned. A 1st generation Cyclone rear derailleur is too old for a 1982 bicycle. An ARx front derailleur is era appropriate but lower level than expected. That 105 crankset is 2nd generation, which didn't debut until 1987.

Tange #1 is a very good tubeset and Tano was a well respected builder but the lack of decals and the eclectic component mix hurts value. At this time of year, in the NW, I'm at the bottom end of Plonz's range. I'd also appreciate the serial number.
Old 11-17-19, 10:04 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I think this has a few more alterations than mentioned. A 1st generation Cyclone rear derailleur is too old for a 1982 bicycle. An ARx front derailleur is era appropriate but lower level than expected. That 105 crankset is 2nd generation, which didn't debut until 1987.

Tange #1 is a very good tubeset and Tano was a well respected builder but the lack of decals and the eclectic component mix hurts value. At this time of year, in the NW, I'm at the bottom end of Plonz's range. I'd also appreciate the serial number.
I would agree the nicer vintage components cover nearly a 10 year range so it's a rebuilt bike nicely done.
Old 11-18-19, 09:16 AM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Old Eyes!

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but the OP makes it seem like this frame was repaired at some point? Was that a structural thing or...? And while I’m sure it was excellent quality, can you see any remains of what was once repaired?

Anywho, nice bike... I’d keep it! 😋
Old 11-18-19, 11:08 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Neat bike. I would have to weigh that with my luggage scale to make sure it's a nice lightweight 22 lb bike. Probably worth somewhere around $300.