Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Things I like about commuting...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Things I like about commuting...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-12, 08:43 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, to be alive and well on the saddle!
Old 12-09-12, 08:45 PM
BlueShoe

Bikes: 2012 Bella Ciao Neorealista Veloce, 1970 Raleigh Lady Tourist DL-1, & 1983 Lotus Unique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may sound silly, but one of the things I really like about commuting is carrying stuff in my panniers (Brooks Brick Lane Roll-Ups). They're so capacious, I can pretty much carry everything I need. Once I even stopped by the post office on the way home and pick up a large package that I was able to transport easily.

I also like having my bike nearby all day long (sort of like a good luck charm) . In the late afternoon, whenever I think about the ride home, it lift my spirits.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
raleighdl-1withpanniers.jpg (95.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-09-12, 08:54 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Well said.

So far the only place I've been asked to leave the bike out was at a local burger king. Pretty much all the stores that have shopping carts haven't said a thing.

Once, when I drove to work(which I do once or twice a week for rest), my boss commented that I must have driven because I looked tired. Ironic since I sleep in on the drive days and its a 10 mi ride. lol go fig. My last job wasn't feasible to ride since it was 25 miles and I found it hard to excede a short lunch time ride with the lifestyle before and after work, so the fitness level was a little laxed to the point I stopped XC racing(that and it was too expensive to justify low performance). Now with the commute it feels empowering and makes the work day go so much better. A lot of the time my job has me drive 3-4 hours a day in a work van so the idea of not driving my own stuff in addition just makes it that much nicer in addition to the limbering up. One coworker who drives and doesn't do cardio but raves about his fitness level goes to a gym for 2+ hrs after work everyday yet complains at times of the cost. It's nice to get the workout without having to go out of the way to do it!
Old 12-09-12, 09:12 PM
TiBikeGuy

Bikes: Litespeed Ti Mtb, BikeE Recumbent, Cannondale H600 Hybrid,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you travel by car, buses or subway, any breakdown or traffic gridlock could put a damper in your morning commute to work. By riding my bike, I have a lot of choices of routes, ridng between the cars stuck in traffic, taking a short-cut through the park, bunny-hopping up the kerb and taking the sceneic route by the river and if I wanted to jump a few stairs and hope I don't look foolish after having crashing the bike....(ugh!! shouldn't have done that moment)
Old 12-09-12, 09:54 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@BlueShoe: gorgeous panniers! How long have you owned them and how do they hold up to the elements?
Old 12-09-12, 11:38 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alupang
Nice post and good thoughts.
I view this as an upside. Whatever I need from any department store I can buy on ebay for a fraction and have it mailed to me. I'd rather support small local businesses than slave labor corps like Walmart--those that allow me to either bring my bike inside or lean it against glass where I can watch it while inside.
It takes too long for milk and corn flakes to arrive from ebay and I get cranky without breakfast!

Seriously, I too order almost EVERYTHING online, even 80-90% of my grocery shopping, and the vast majority of cycling goods too! You can tell because my ebay account is in the first 6 months of the company opening! lol

Unfortunately almost without exception, businesses here in Athens do not allow you to bring the bike in, and since cyclist don't even bother asking about this, when I do, I get very peculiar stares from the employees or management (and of course a negative answer).
Old 12-10-12, 11:50 AM
BlueShoe

Bikes: 2012 Bella Ciao Neorealista Veloce, 1970 Raleigh Lady Tourist DL-1, & 1983 Lotus Unique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agent pombero
@BlueShoe: gorgeous panniers! How long have you owned them and how do they hold up to the elements?
I had to have a rear rack custom-made for the DL-1 so although I've had the panniers for a while, I only started commuting with them in the last six weeks. My bike stays indoors so the panniers haven't been tested too much yet in the elements. The material is a water-resistant cotton canvas with leather trim. I hope they will last a long time.
Old 12-10-12, 12:43 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The love the peace and quiet of the commute especially when working in corporate he11
Old 12-10-12, 06:21 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A whole string of good answers here. I can hardly add anything.

And like Spivonius (I think..) I'm a bit narcissistic about it. I like the fact that I'm (we're) right and all of those others are wrong, wrong, wrong.
Old 12-10-12, 06:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Bike commuters have taken the Red Pill.
Old 12-10-12, 06:47 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One of many is being able to overcome the elements. I like snowbiking and I don't mind riding in the rain.
Old 12-10-12, 07:08 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
In much of the metro DC area, it's easier and less hassle than driving.
Old 12-13-12, 02:02 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TiBikeGuy
If you travel by car, buses or subway, any breakdown or traffic gridlock could put a damper in your morning commute to work. . .
This is a definite downside the “multi-modal” thing. Sadly, my only other alternatives are to drive, or bike 65 miles each way. On the up side, in over five years of train/biking I have had only five seriously hampered rides. Three suicide by train (one of which was a guy threatening to jump off an overpass onto the tracks who was eventually talked down-at 4:00 AM the next day), one car on the tracks-occupants escaped-no derailment, and a Raiders game when a few years ago when my commute was to San Diego.

Accidents on the freeway, or just plain congestive gridlock, are for more common.
Old 12-13-12, 03:40 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
Pretty much everything mentioned here, and especially the "sense of purpose".

I also love the feeling of being sneaky and "cheating the system" since I live very close to a bridge which can take 15 minutes to get onto by car in the morning, and only 3 minutes by bike.
I gotta admit, for me this is a big part of it. If you travel in Third World Countries, you're constantly besieged by poor people holding out their hands for money. Here in North America, you are constantly besieged by corporations holding out their hands for whatever they can get away with charging. I see they're just now starting to charge for secure bike parking & showers, and I can see it getting worse as numbers reach a "critical mass." But for now, I can still "screw the system," defeat the corporate transportation infrastructure. Like Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man, I can use the existing infrastructure for free, avoiding the frustrating gridlock of being one bit in a serial synchronous half-duplex communications model (and once downtown, the stream gets packetized by the stoplights). Allegorically, bikes operate at a measly 300 baud, but it's all full duplex and parallel!

So bike commuters come out far ahead in terms of minimizing cost and aggravation. I remember seeing a survey of bike commuters, done back in the 70's (I recall John Forester mentioned it), and most bike commuters of the time were engineers and technical people, folks who think about how to make things better. I don't think you see too many stupid people riding bikes; those people are still stuck in their cars because that's the way it's always been done, and they can't think beyond that.

And beyond that, I just love being on the bike, regardless of weather or time of day.

Luis
Old 12-13-12, 03:52 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I see they're just now starting to charge for secure bike parking & showers, and I can see it getting worse as numbers reach a "critical mass." But for now, I can still "screw the system," defeat the corporate transportation infrastructure.
Really? Where are "they" charging cyclists for secure bike parking & showers or using the "corporate transportation infrastructure?"

Like Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man, I can use the existing infrastructure for free, avoiding the frustrating gridlock of being one bit in a serial synchronous half-duplex communications model (and once downtown, the stream gets packetized by the stoplights). Allegorically, bikes operate at a measly 300 baud, but it's all full duplex and parallel!
I think you are thinking too hard about this; relax, you are riding a dang bike and it is NOT rocket science.

I remember seeing a survey of bike commuters, done back in the 70's (I recall John Forester mentioned it), and most bike commuters of the time were engineers and technical people, folks who think about how to make things better. I don't think you see too many stupid people riding bikes; those people are still stuck in their cars because that's the way it's always been done, and they can't think beyond that.
I suggest you think more about what you are writing on this subject and try not so hard to emulate an elitist, club cycling thought process based on bogus "studies."

And beyond that, I just love being on the bike, regardless of weather or time of day.
Good thinking!
Old 12-13-12, 04:01 PM
sternzeit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the free bungee cords I find on the side of the road.
Old 12-13-12, 04:45 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Really? Where are "they" charging cyclists for secure bike parking & showers or using the "corporate transportation infrastructure?"

I think you are thinking too hard about this; relax, you are riding a dang bike and it is NOT rocket science.

I suggest you think more about what you are writing on this subject and try not so hard to emulate an elitist, club cycling thought process based on bogus "studies."
"They" are the BC Institute of Technology in downtown Vancouver BC, which charges about $35/month to use a bike parking facility downtown. As numbers of cyclists increase, I can see more of this cropping up. Currently, my employer gives me access to a fairly secure bike room plus a shower facility for free, for which I am thankful. It's really expensive to park a car in downtown Vancouver, but it's nothing like Toronto!

"Transportation infrastructure:" you pay to drive and park the car. You pay to take the bus or rapid transit. You pay for streets and maintenance.

"Thinking too hard about this." No, just thinking about it for a long time. Thought I'd inject some novel ideas; you hear so many of the cliches anytime it comes to cycling. And you are right, it's not rocket science; anybody with a degree in computer science (or communications) can easily comprehend what I'm saying, or even better, refute it!

"emulating an elitist, club cycling thought process" - Who's emulating? I AM an elitist club cyclist. And just what's wrong with elitism, if you've worked all your life at getting better at something? I've been riding, racing, commuting for over 40 years, so I can't help but be smug!

Since I'm not sure about the tone of your response, I will forego any ill-intentioned rejoinder. But I can see that I'm not likely to encounter intelligent, respectful, and scintillating exchanges in this subforum! Good day!

Luis
Old 12-13-12, 04:50 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

"emulating an elitist, club cycling thought process" - Who's emulating? I AM an elitist club cyclist. And just what's wrong with elitism, if you've worked all your life at getting better at something? I've been riding, racing, commuting for over 40 years, so I can't help but be smug!

Since I'm not sure about the tone of your response, I will forego any ill-intentioned rejoinder. But I can see that I'm not likely to encounter intelligent, respectful, and scintillating exchanges in this subforum! Good day!
Your pride in your smugness will not bring forth any respectful or scintillating exchanges from me.
BTW riding, but not racing for 60 dang years.
Old 12-13-12, 06:30 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I was thinking about this today because I overslept and had to drive in. Traffic was so annoying coming home, dealing with stop and go and juvenile maneuvers and sitting still on the interstate burning gas, that all I could think about was all these people doing this every day and not realizing what a waste it is. And most of them, if conversations with acquaintances and random strangers can be generalized, believe that I'm the crazy or eccentric one. Heck I was one of them for years, decades. It just boggles the mind that cycling is a vastly more attractive alternative, that is even cheaper and easier, yet so few people even attempt it.

I guess it's not a matter of smugness for doing something better, but more like the satisfaction of evading the trap that ensnares so many.
Old 12-13-12, 06:59 PM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 90 Posts
I like that I get to do what I love twice a day and it takes nothing away from my life but adds so much.
Old 12-14-12, 12:35 AM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andrew.ferrell
Most importantly: riding a bike for any purpose always makes me feel incredibly happy and grateful!
It's weird in that it's the one thing I never get sick of doing.
At least once I'm 10 minutes into it...
Old 12-14-12, 08:02 AM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Your pride in your smugness will not bring forth any respectful or scintillating exchanges from me.
BTW riding, but not racing for 60 dang years.
Are you smug about not being smug?
Old 12-14-12, 09:27 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by essiemyra
I like that I get to do what I love twice a day and it takes nothing away from my life but adds so much.
Ditto, precisely
Old 12-14-12, 09:28 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by cycleobsidian
Are you smug about not being smug?
I am glad that I enjoy riding my bike for getting around town. Now that I am retired I no longer do the 24 mile R/T commute year round.

I am glad that a lot of other people have all sorts of positive thoughts about their bicycling.

I am also glad that I can enjoy cycling (and enjoyed bike commuting) without becoming a pompous elitist thinking that I must be superior and smarter than all the alleged üntermenchen who do not ride bicycles to every destination.
Old 12-14-12, 07:03 PM
Bicycle Addict

Bikes: Marin Bolinas ridge, Carlton Corsa 5, Falcon Olympic 12, 98 Shesh Rockhopper,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We lead busy lives with a daily increase in the amount of cars on the road. I still to this day as I am riding out the gate feel like a kid leaving the house after my morning chores, off to explore, with a smile from ear to ear. I do not know of anything else that gives me this feeling.

Bicycles are my addiction, a way of holding onto my sense of self.

I am 37 and I think within my life time we will see a major increase again in the price of fuel again and again and I think it will keep going until it becomes near impossible for normal people on normal wages to afford to run their vehicles on a daily basis.

Then and only then will we see massive improvement in the cycle path type infrastructures.

Behold the humble bicycle . . . . the oldest form of mechanical transport for the individual person . . . and they will be the last.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Bicycle Addict; 12-14-12 at 07:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.