Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Hardy, compact, reasonably priced tent

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Hardy, compact, reasonably priced tent

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-23, 12:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,574 Times in 7,337 Posts
Sorry, but it's "hearty." Just had to get that off my chest.

This is Hardy:

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-17-23, 12:37 PM
ignant666
ret'd msgr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sorry, but it's "hearty." Just had to get that off my chest.
No, it isn't either. See definitions of hardy here, and hearty here.

Clearly "hearty" is not a thing a tent can be in any of those meanings, whereas i bet anything OP wants a tent that is "capable of withstanding adverse conditions".
Likes For ignant666:
Old 08-17-23, 12:41 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by ignant666
No, it isn't either. See definitions of hardy here, and hearty here.

Clearly "hearty" is not a thing a tent can be in any of those meanings, whereas i bet anything OP wants a tent that is "capable of withstanding adverse conditions".
Anyone got any ketchup to go with my crow?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-17-23, 12:50 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
I know how to spell it but phone swipe typing does that from time to time.

Heck I can even type "they are there on them bikes of theirs".
Old 08-17-23, 01:22 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Here's one I am considering myself - Naturehike Opalus 2 person. 4.4 lbs, massive vestibule - https://www.naturehike.com/products/...ping-nh20zp006

Old 08-17-23, 02:45 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Trueblood
Here's one I am considering myself - Naturehike Opalus 2 person. 4.4 lbs, massive vestibule - https://www.naturehike.com/products/...ping-nh20zp006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gQdR4UvpfE
I cannot decipher this re: weight:

Weight(without floor mat) and Storage
2P:About 5.5lb (Orange)/ 4.4lb(Green);Φ18.9*7.5 in"

Is it saying the green model is lighter by “about” a full pound? (Don’t they know the actual weight?) If so, why? And note that the max height inside is only 35.4”. My Quarter Dome is 42”. Handier for someone 6’2”, like I am.
Old 08-17-23, 02:53 PM
dvdwmth

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_P
Just today I received my Marmot Tungsten 2P (two person) tent. It's not super light at almost exactly 6 lbs (2690 g, I weighed it) but it's a lot lighter than my Eureka K2-XT which I bought just two years ago not knowing that I'd be getting rid of my car and going back to bike touring. I've spent weeks/months going over reviews and specs and ended up on the Tungsten. Price was a big factor as going lighter was mostly more expensive. At first I was looking at one-person tents but then decided I wanted my panniers in the tent with me and still be able to move around a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing if it was a good decision or not, hopefully in a few weeks.
My tungsten fell apart after a couple uses and customer service took so long to answer I gave up. I’ve heard others report negative customer service issues.
Old 08-17-23, 04:51 PM
Trueblood

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
I cannot decipher this re: weight:

Weight(without floor mat) and Storage
2P:About 5.5lb (Orange)/ 4.4lb(Green);Φ18.9*7.5 in"

Is it saying the green model is lighter by “about” a full pound? (Don’t they know the actual weight?) If so, why? And note that the max height inside is only 35.4”. My Quarter Dome is 42”. Handier for someone 6’2”, like I am.
I don't understand the weight difference either. Strangely, some sellers charge less for the orange 2 person version. in terms of height, yeah, all depends on what you need. I would like to be able to open the door on the vestibule and cook in bad weather - saves bringing a tarp. At $230 it doesn't break the bank either. For $10 more, you can get the 3 person, which is 43" high, but weighs 6.61 lbs - more of a car camping tent at that point. It would allow you to use a low camp chair in the vestibule. You can see a review of the larger one on the Youtube channel Outdoor Gear Review. It is a 'palace' in terms of space.
Old 08-17-23, 06:19 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
I need a compact 2 person tent. I haven't bought one in ages. What are my options for something hardy that packs small and won't break the bank?
If you are not in a hurry, pick a tent you want and wait for a good sale price. I waited about a year to get the one I wanted, got it at about half price.

In my case, it sat at REI Outlet, I checked once a week, it was consistently 20 percent off. Suddenly it was about 50 percent off, ordered it. They had made a model update that mostly consisted of a different color, not sure what the other "upgrades" were, I was happy to get the old version.

I have now slept in it for about 10 weeks. Thus, now my investment is a hair over $2 per night.

Now, the upgraded version has been taken out of production long ago too, but I am still happy with mine.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-18-23, 01:08 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I use a Eureka Suma 2. It is a 3 season tent and seems to be well made. Single entry with vestibule. Right now they are readily available at 160 bucks, and if you go to Back Country for the first time ordering it will be 15% off. Not sure how long that offer will last.
Old 08-18-23, 03:59 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
there is no ONE tent. An ideal tent will vary depending on where you are. Hilleberg will keep you dry in rainy locales and windy places but bake you alive in desert environments

( Big Agnes.) tents with ultralight mindset do better in tree (wind protected) environment but break in icelandic winds

some places are better with a hammock

so if you will do only tours into a specific type of environment then buy the best tent for that

if you plan to go tours to different locales and enjoy being fully funded (as you said) then you either should enjoy purchasing multiple shelters or feel comfortable to break a tent sooner and just buy another one

The beautiful truth is that I have zero debt and a fully funded retirement account because of the accumulation of decisions like this over decades. I could buy a $1k tent without breaking a sweat, I chose to have a more sensible budget.

I'm not gonna lie, the Big Agnes Cooper Spur does shake my frugal resolve but I'm a veteran at this, I know that there has to be a tent half the price almost as good. Maybe a big almost but half is also big.
Old 08-18-23, 05:19 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Trueblood
Here's one I am considering myself - Naturehike Opalus 2 person. 4.4 lbs, massive vestibule - ...
I did not open the links, just commenting that the photo looks very similar to tents by Hilleberg that have a very good reputation, and a reputation for high cost.
Old 08-18-23, 05:27 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
there is no ONE tent. An ideal tent will vary depending on where you are. Hilleberg will keep you dry in rainy locales and windy places but bake you alive in desert environments

( Big Agnes.) tents with ultralight mindset do better in tree (wind protected) environment but break in icelandic winds

some places are better with a hammock

so if you will do only tours into a specific type of environment then buy the best tent for that

if you plan to go tours to different locales and enjoy being fully funded (as you said) then you either should enjoy purchasing multiple shelters or feel comfortable to break a tent sooner and just buy another one
You made a very good point.

I have a couple tents I use for backpacking, very light, very compact. A tent that I use for canoe and kayak trips that is very nice but on the heavy side, I used to use it for bike touring be decided it was too heavy for that. And a tent that I use for bike touring. And several others that have not been used for several years but might be used in the future again for the conditions that make one of those the better choice.

And have three touring bikes.

And ... ... ... etc.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-18-23, 07:12 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Not a standing two person tent that the folded version is 2+ feet long. Think tent suited for hiking and bike touring.

As for price, well the Osmo dagger looks awesome but at $500+ a tad bank breaking. There are $50 tents for which my first reaction is not to trust. Do you have something in-between you would recommend?

Tents are $500 give or take

You assume ultralight means a tent isn't durable, I suppose you think carbon wheels are more fragile than aluminum. (hint, they aren't)

If you want to spend 200-250, buy used

Otherwise, you will regret cheaping out

I use a Tarptent in dyneema. I've met thruhikers who have done 2 thrus on a tarptent, the mfg claims more. So, hundreds of nights. Instead of focusing on money, try to figure out your primary needs and buy the tent that matches them. No single tent will do it all. I have an old Moss that is bulletproof in wind, rain, snow but it would be awful in hot conditions.

https://www.tarptent.com/thruhiking/
Old 08-18-23, 07:44 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Tarptent was mentioned once above, and I'll second that. I'm not sure about current industry prices, but in past two decades they've been competitive. In my experience, silnylon has been very durable, in addition to being light and compact. And I'll also second the view that with lighter weight comes a learning curve dealing with condensation, but I found that surmountable and worthwhile. One advantage is ease of drying--a few minutes in sun and wind and the whole tent is dry.

I used their smallest model for over 10K miles of long distance hiking and bike touring. I replaced that when it wore out, and added a two-person model for bike touring with my wife.
Old 08-18-23, 09:17 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Years ago, Kelty was a good value for the dollar and good customer service, but that seems to have changed as some of their tent designs have taken steps backwards imo.
Old 08-18-23, 09:52 AM
ignant666
ret'd msgr

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Tents are $500 give or take
When you say "tents" plural are $500, i can agree, as the three tents (REI Passage 1 (2 years old), Twelve Survivors Shire, ALPS Mountaineering Meramac 4-Person (both 7 years old, going strong)) i own do in fact add up to very nearly that much money, provided i also throw in the Hennessy hammock tarp, and the no-name 10' x 10' tarp, and the tarp poles, and all the aluminum stakes and cordage.

It took decades of camping/touring before i had spent $500 total on all gear (exclusive of bike obviously). Many of the very fancy tents mentioned here look very nice, and maybe someday i will buy one. The Durstons in particular look like they might even be worth $300, which is twice as much as i have ever spent on a tent.
Old 08-18-23, 09:52 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
I've been thinking about a new tent, too. I used a Eureka Timberline copy, but switched to a Kelty Monarch 2 but that's a bit heavy.
I read this article but thought most tents seemed kind of heavy.

I was looking for an REI Quarter Dome, but as mentioned they don't seem to make them any more. I'm considering the Half Dome:
https://www.rei.com/product/185632/r...with-footprint

The Nemo tents have a good reputation, and they seem quite light to me:
https://www.rei.com/product/215776/n...y-osmo-2p-tent
https://www.rei.com/product/215777/n...alight-2p-tent
Old 08-19-23, 06:42 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
...I use a Tarptent in dyneema. I've met thruhikers who have done 2 thrus on a tarptent, the mfg claims more. https://www.tarptent.com/thruhiking/
My old Tarptent Contrail (cost under $200) lasted three thruhikes (CDT, AZT and AT), the Northern Tier bike route, and numerous shorter trips. I see from the link that you can still get the Protrail (the Contrail upgrade) for under $250. It's the best deal in shelters in my book, well under a dollar a night.
Old 08-19-23, 10:20 AM
Yan 

Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
I've been using the same MSR Hubba Hubba NX2 since 2014 with no issues. I've slept over 200 nights in it during this time. It is free standing and more than light enough for bike touring. Takes about about 1/3 of a rear pannier when packed.
Old 08-19-23, 12:49 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by gna

The Nemo tents have a good reputation, and they seem quite light to me:
https://www.rei.com/product/215776/n...y-osmo-2p-tent
https://www.rei.com/product/215777/n...alight-2p-tent
There’s a review of the Dragonfly OSMO in the latest edition of Adventure Cyclist. The reviewer, who is the Editor-in-Chief of the magazine, loves it.

The list price with the review is $580, so the REI price looks like a bargain, especially if you buy it with a sale coupon.
Old 08-19-23, 01:59 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
There’s a review of the Dragonfly OSMO in the latest edition of Adventure Cyclist. The reviewer, who is the Editor-in-Chief of the magazine, loves it.

The list price with the review is $580, so the REI price looks like a bargain, especially if you buy it with a sale coupon.
I'm not sure if this is the tent in the OP (he mentions OSMO), but the Hornet is a bit cheaper.

I saw used one for sale on facebook marketplace, but it sold pretty quick.
Old 08-19-23, 03:08 PM
Paul_P

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I just set up my Marmot Tungsten 2P in the house to seal the seams. The seams are all taped on the inside but I like to do the outside of them with Gear Aid Tent Seam Sealant Seamgrip + FC. I use a ~15mm artist brush that is cut in a V at the tip. This sealant is quite thin, but it doesn't run so it's very easy to apply and dries almost invisible. It also doesn't smell much and washes up with water.

The Tungsten is no expedition tent but seems well enough put together. Quite a bit bigger than I was expecting, more than enough room for me and my gear without the vestibules. I imagine the vestibules (two doors) are good for aerodynamics making it almost a dome. I'm used to thicker tent poles but I guess if you want them light it's what you end up with. I got the stealth green version and the footprint is included. It's hardly mentioned anywhere, and I haven't seen a single picture showing it, but there is a vent at the top of the rain fly with a little sort of stick to keep it open, or velcro to close it.

Last edited by Paul_P; 08-19-23 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-19-23, 06:41 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
I have owned a Nemo Dagger 2 person tent for a few years now and have no real complaints. I'm glad I purchased it on sale back then and not now as the prices seem to have really increased for those tents.
Old 08-19-23, 08:09 PM
Tourist in MSN

This was a great tent, and still is. Especially good in wind.

When it was made a couple decades ago, 6.1 pounds for a tent rated for two was pretty good. But no more, now 6.1 pounds is in boat anchor class. Last bike tour I carried it on was 2016. Still use it for canoe trips. Now I use a tent that is about 3.5 pounds for bike touring. That said, if I was to go to Iceland or some other windy place again, I might bring it along.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.