Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Cracked Lynskey Cooper

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Cracked Lynskey Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-23, 01:38 AM
Jockie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Cracked Lynskey Cooper

I found two cracks in a second-hand Lynskey Cooper I just acquired on an online auction.
(Cracks were not mentioned in the listing!)
Larger crack is on the outside of the DS chainstay and smaller one is on the underside of the NDS chainstay.
Do these look repairable to framebuilders?
Sending back to Tennessee is going to be expensive from here. There is a local who appears to have experience repairing titanium bicycle frames.

Old 08-23-23, 01:52 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Return to seller and get refund
Old 08-23-23, 04:16 PM
Jockie

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Unfortunately, that is not possible.
Old 08-23-23, 06:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I am wondering if those are just defective chainstays. Welding would probably work. I'm not sure I could trust it though
Old 08-24-23, 01:26 PM
GrayJay

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Strange looking cracks. If this were a stress crack from use/fatigue then it would more likely run radial around the tube, instead of along the tube axis length. Might be that the seatstay tubing was formed from sheets that were then welded into a tube along a seam and that is what is now re-cracking? Given that the seatstays stress is mostly in compression, the direction of the crack probably does not greatly affect the strength of the seatstay. Laying down a TIG bead along the crack and then grinding smooth would likely be worth trying.
Likes For GrayJay:
Old 08-24-23, 01:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

That's what I was thinking, they are welded tubing that was drawn after welding. Which I think is how it works. That would explain the somewhat random cracking. Although the crack would probably veer back and forth from one edge of the heat affected zone to the other. It's not the first time I have seen cracking like this.
Old 08-24-23, 09:39 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Jockie
I found two cracks in a second-hand Lynskey Cooper I just acquired on an online auction.
(Cracks were not mentioned in the listing!)
Online auction means Yahoo Japan auctions (or Mercari)? If so, its a bit of a hassle to sort out but you can definitely return the frame even if the listing stated "no returns". Especially so considering the cracks that weren't mentioned in the listing. Yahoo Japan (Mercari) will take your side on this one for sure.
Likes For Kabuto:
Old 08-26-23, 02:44 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
That's what I was thinking, they are welded tubing that was drawn after welding. Which I think is how it works. That would explain the somewhat random cracking. Although the crack would probably veer back and forth from one edge of the heat affected zone to the other. It's not the first time I have seen cracking like this.
Or there could have been some debris or imperfection in the die they were drawn through maybe? That would apply even if they were seamless. Idk how Ti tubes are usually made.
Old 08-27-23, 09:32 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't know how Ti welded tubes are made, but the steel tubes I have seen that were drawn over a bad die just cracked in a straight line. I have never seen a picture of how the true temper tubing cracked in the early days, that would be interesting. Of course, steel tubes might also fail due to rust if they have a crease inside. Definitely pays to look inside your tubes before building. And measure seat tube internal diameters.
Old 08-27-23, 05:37 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Ouch.

I take seller denies all.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-27-23, 07:03 PM
Jockie

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The seller claims that 'scratched and dirty' is an accurate description.
The original manufacturer has suggested a repair would involve complete replacement of the chainstays.