Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

How to offset sprocket from crank arm

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

How to offset sprocket from crank arm

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-23, 05:00 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Congratulations on being the first person to present one of these "out of the box" ideas and actually creating a working model. It is very cool looking. That sectioned down tube cover has a ton of welding. I hope you can source a formed piece, if you produce these.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 09-14-23, 10:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Congratulations on being the first person to present one of these "out of the box" ideas and actually creating a working model.
That's not quite true. There was someone that actually made a prototype of a bike with no spokes, just a super-heavy rim and an elaborate bearing system to support it. If there is a cliche in never-built but often drawn bicycle design, that is it. But they made it, it was a folding bike that weighed 70pounds or something like that.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-19-23, 09:42 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
pretty smooth looking, how do you handle a flat in the wild? (just had my first flat in the wild in a long time, so flats are on my mind

Old 09-19-23, 10:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
You can only ride it in areas with open-air bike shops that have those patches that you have to set on fire. They don't take the tire off to fix a flat, just pop the bead, pull the tube out, and set it on fire. Maybe I have the order wrong.
Old 09-21-23, 02:54 AM
Randoo
Aaa

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words!

Originally Posted by squirtdad
pretty smooth looking, how do you handle a flat in the wild? (just had my first flat in the wild in a long time, so flats are on my mind
Fixing a flat is no different than a regular thru-axle bike
Remove 1 bolt and the wheel comes off. Currently this works for the rear wheel, front wheel has 2 nuts which we will replace with a thru-axle aswell, to have the same system on both axles.
Otherwise it is standard inner and outer tube.
Old 09-21-23, 08:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Will this proposed bike have commonly available thru axles and/or axle nuts? Any idea of total bike weight (thinking of small people). Andy
Old 09-22-23, 04:28 AM
Randoo
Aaa

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently we are using the most basic ISO 10642, M10x130 standard bolt as our "thru-axle" and so far has held up great. It is available in most hardware stores and turns with a standard Hex key
We'll see what the future holds.
Total bike weight on this prototype is 26kg or 57.3lbs with the battery. Not the lightest but definitely not the heaviest for an e-bike. It'll be a compromise between weight and durability.