Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Comp GS original spokes..?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-24, 01:30 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts

The ’79 Raleigh Comp GS I recently acquired has 1.8/1.4 db spokes (clover leaf sort of logo on the head, so I think they’re Berg-Union). Campy NGS hubs, Weinmann concave rims. Seem like awfully light spokes, especially paired with the tank-like concaves, which has me wondering if they were original to the bike, or maybe the wheels got rebuild at some point. Anyone know if they would’ve been original?
Old 02-03-24, 03:03 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
Yea I will have to check mine. I know they are original and they are light . On my rear wheel, when the GS derailleur cage came loose , it sent the chain into the spokes behind the FW. The drive side spokes on my rear wheel have been replaced and are a bit more stout. I couldn’t find any of the light spokes. My wheels stay nice and true with the bad roads we have here. I weigh just under 160 and not a super strong rider , by any means. I have many , many miles on the bike with very little trouble other than flats now and then.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-03-24, 03:44 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
In 81 I bought new from dealer a Comp GS made in England and it has DB spokes pared with GS hubs and Concave rims.
Old 02-03-24, 05:23 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

The wheels were pretty filthy, & those concave rims are a ***** to clean/polish, so I tore 'em down to clean up and rebuild. Back when I was a 'kid' () I didn't like concave rims, mainly for aesthetics. But now I think these are kinda cool. And the Campy NGS hubs spin about as nicely as their big brothers. I'm going to rebuild 'em with the original spokes, as they're all in nice shape. Yeah, I know, there are those who's heads explode at the idea of reusing spokes, but there seem to be as many others who are 'yeah, I do it all the time.....' So why not. And I was looking for some extra light spokes for a set of tub wheels I just built up and choked on the prices for new thinner-gauge spokes! Still, the really light spokes paired with Weinmann Concaves as original/stock wheels makes me go 'huh..?'
Old 02-09-24, 06:30 PM
ehcoplex 

Hmmmmmm, so here's another 'thing'...... Both wheels are laced differently on each side- on one side of the wheel the outside spokes are leading, and on the other side the outside spokes are trailing. Now admittedly, I've only been building wheels for a few years and before learning to do so I never really paid that much attention to this kind of stuff. But this is the first time I've seen this. Was it a common thing? Seems like a bit of a PITA to do....