Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which are you going for!?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 08:18 AM
Kyleo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Basically used to do a bit of road cycling and decided to get back into with a sprint triathlon booked in September. I don't need an all out aero bike as I'm not chasing podiums - yet anyway!

I'm looking at either the Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc Di2 2023 or the Trek Emonda SL 6 Pro Di2 dis 2023.

it's not allowing me to post the links as this is my first post, apologies.

Which would be your preference or open to other suggestions! I think these are looking the best options for under 3k.

Thanks all!
Old 03-07-24, 09:53 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
I would go for the Trek, between those two.

A lot of people here don't like Trek because of how they behaved in the Armstrong era, but I don't like how Giant behaved during the Schwinn era. (they were a supplier for Schwinn, and stole their intellectual property to launch their own brand)

A couple guys in my club have Trek Emondas and they are amazingly light for their price. (they prioritize lightness over comfort. Madone is more aero, Domane is more comfy.)
Old 03-07-24, 10:01 AM
Kyleo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
I would go for the Trek, between those two.

A lot of people here don't like Trek because of how they behaved in the Armstrong era, but I don't like how Giant behaved during the Schwinn era. (they were a supplier for Schwinn, and stole their intellectual property to launch their own brand)

A couple guys in my club have Trek Emondas and they are amazingly light for their price. (they prioritize lightness over comfort. Madone is more aero, Domane is more comfy.)
Awesome, thank you. Appreciate the advice.

A local buy shop have told me to jump at the Emonda due to it being 2023 and the price drop online, nearly £1000 discount.

I did look at the Madone, but may be too Aero for what I'm after!
Old 03-07-24, 10:49 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
If it's my money, it would be the Emonda. Admittedly, I have liked Trek bikes for many decades, and still do. I've never had lusty feelings for any Giant.
Old 03-07-24, 04:54 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
Trek just dropped their TREKFEST annual sale (here anyway) so there will likely be some good discounts! Both are great bikes, but I'm partial to the Emonda out of those two.

PS: Madone! 😁
Old 03-07-24, 05:38 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
All the years I was in the industry never had I heard of someone going after Giant for intellectual property theft. Please tell us more about this. Any lawsuit info?

As for the bikes, the Giant has Ultegra Di2, the Trek has 105 Di2. The choice I would make is the Giant because of this. Frame geometry is roughly the same.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 03-08-24, 06:22 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
All the years I was in the industry never had I heard of someone going after Giant for intellectual property theft. Please tell us more about this. Any lawsuit info?

As for the bikes, the Giant has Ultegra Di2, the Trek has 105 Di2. The choice I would make is the Giant because of this. Frame geometry is roughly the same.
Trek has an SL6 pro on sale with mechanical Ultegra for $1500 less than the 105 Di2 bike. - and its lighter than 105 Di2 model.

Émonda SL 6 Disc Pro - Trek Bikes

I'm the type that doesn't like spending $$ on bikes - but that sale price is fairly reasonable for what you get. I can't believe I just said that... but it's not a bad price.
Old 03-08-24, 07:39 AM
Kyleo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Trek has an SL6 pro on sale with mechanical Ultegra for $1500 less than the 105 Di2 bike. - and its lighter than 105 Di2 model.

I'm the type that doesn't like spending $$ on bikes - but that sale price is fairly reasonable for what you get. I can't believe I just said that... but it's not a bad price.
Brilliant, thanks all for the above responses.

is the 105 Di2 worth it, would you say?

So in the UK - the Emonda SL disc pro is £2879 / $3705 and the Emonda SL 6 di2 is £2749/$3538.18. Assuming it's better to go for the di2 as it's £130 cheaper.
Old 03-08-24, 08:06 AM
Jughed

Originally Posted by Kyleo
Brilliant, thanks all for the above responses.

is the 105 Di2 worth it, would you say?

So in the UK - the Emonda SL disc pro is £2879 / $3705 and the Emonda SL 6 di2 is £2749/$3538.18. Assuming it's better to go for the di2 as it's £130 cheaper.
If its cheaper - I would take the 105 Di 2. The prices I just saw here in Murcia for the 105 Di2 bike was $5k usd. $1500 more than the mechanical Ultegra bike. I wouldn't pay that much more for Di2, personally...

What are the wheel options on the bikes you are looking at? Did they cheap out on the wheels on the Di2 bike? The ones I looked at had the same decent set of wheels. I would take better wheels over Di2 any day...

Last edited by Jughed; 03-08-24 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-08-24, 08:09 AM
Kyleo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If its cheaper - I would take the 105 Di 2. The prices I just saw here in Murcia for the 105 Di2 bike was $5k usd. $1500 more than the mechanical Ultegra bike. I would pay that much more for Di2, personally...

What are the wheel options on the bikes you are looking at? Did they cheap out on the wheels on the Di2 bike? The ones I looked at had the same decent set of wheels. I would take better wheels over Di2 any day...
Yeah, maybe I'm best going for Di2 then!

The wheels on the Emonda with the di2 are the Bontrager Aeolus Elite 35.
Old 03-08-24, 08:57 AM
Jughed

Originally Posted by Kyleo
Yeah, maybe I'm best going for Di2 then!

The wheels on the Emonda with the di2 are the Bontrager Aeolus Elite 35.
Yep, those are the decent wheels I was talking about - not great, but a solid set of wheels.

And I will edit what I said above, I mispoke - I wouldn't pay 1500 extra for Di2 in a lower groupset. But you seem to have a good deal on your hands.

My basis for that opinion... I've been saying that the Emoda ALR 5 (aluminum) with a decent set of wheels added on was still cheaper than the SLR 5, and it ended up being a lighter bike for less money. That deal you are looking at is both a lighter bike, higher spec and CF - for about the same $ I've got into my ALR 5, 105 mechanical, with upgraded wheels. And the SL6 is lighter out of the box.

IMHO, that is a great deal in todays world.
Old 03-08-24, 09:28 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I couldn't find the lawsuit info in a quick Google search, but you're welcome to have a look yourself.

I did find this from Schwinn's Wikipedia page:
However, after unsuccessfully attempting to purchase a minority share in Giant Bicycles, Edward Schwinn Jr. negotiated a separate deal with the China Bicycle Co. (CBC) to produce bicycles to be sold under the Schwinn brand.[57] In retaliation, Giant introduced its own line of Giant-branded bikes for sale to retailers carrying Schwinn bikes. Both Giant and CBC used the dies, plans, and technological expertise from Schwinn to greatly expand the market share of bicycles made under their own proprietary brands, first in Europe, and later in the United States.[57]
Old 03-08-24, 09:32 AM
Kyleo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, those are the decent wheels I was talking about - not great, but a solid set of wheels.

And I will edit what I said above, I mispoke - I wouldn't pay 1500 extra for Di2 in a lower groupset. But you seem to have a good deal on your hands.

My basis for that opinion... I've been saying that the Emoda ALR 5 (aluminum) with a decent set of wheels added on was still cheaper than the SLR 5, and it ended up being a lighter bike for less money. That deal you are looking at is both a lighter bike, higher spec and CF - for about the same $ I've got into my ALR 5, 105 mechanical, with upgraded wheels. And the SL6 is lighter out of the box.

IMHO, that is a great deal in todays world.
Brilliant, thank you.

With regards to the Giant TCR advance pro 1 disc, the wheels are the Giant SLR1 36.