Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Marco Pantani

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-04, 11:29 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might buy that magazine. I always thought pantani's story was just so sad. His death really did cause a lot of sadness in italy- from what I remember reading at the time, it was like the whole country was in mourning. A lot of his colleagues seem to have been really freaked out and demoralized by his death- I remember that Mario Cipollini spoke about how he saw Pantani fans by the side of the road. I think this was the tour of the Med or Terreno-adriatico, and he said it was really traumatic. EVen after he died,his fans were still at races with the skull and crossbones flags, and banners and signs, as if he were still racing. That's what's so sad. His fans and the public simply loved him, no matter what he did and as far as they're concerned he was the greatest. BUt in the end, even with all those people who loved him he was all alone and miserable. Just a terrible way to come to an end.
Old 11-29-04, 10:47 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Very good article, I can hardly believe that it is in Bicycling. . . may
have to buy an issue if that is the quality of writing now.
I was never a Pantani fan, but I did admire the way he climbed and
attacked, He brought something to cycling that was sorely missing. . . excitement.

the one thing that the article really brought home to me is
what a sad man Pantani was, despite all that he had.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 11-29-04, 07:56 PM
cyclingute
The cycling student.

Bikes: Orbea XLR8R, C-dale Caad4 Aero TT.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maj.Taylor
Regardless of who the person is, there is seldom anyone in their life capable of understanding just how awful deep clinical depression really feels. When Pantani's depression became a ponderous illness, it no longer mattered if he doped or not. He simply needed help. And whether he doped or not, I feel profound and tearful sadness the help he so badly needed was unable to save his life.
I fully understand what Marco was feeling (the depression). I've been fighting it for years, I was finally able to seek help this year. The docs have been great, and the meds seem to be good. I wish Marco had gotten help, he might be alive today if he had. It was a waste that he died the way he did, but it was also a wake up call for me. I was able to seek help because of Marco. I hope his family is coping well.
Old 11-29-04, 09:46 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what was so sad, that he was loved by millions, the way most of us only wish we could be loved, and he died this pathetic, Jim MOrrison death. But he was also a real character and added a lot of pizzazz to the races. In a way, the cycling world got a little dimmer when he died. We need more colorful types like him. Cipollini is also like that, and he's going to retire soon.
Old 11-30-04, 08:36 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Hey,
Jim Morrison isn't really dead. . . he is living in Africa under the assumed
name of Mr. Mojo Rising.
besides his death (as reported) was due to pneumonia (although some current reports are now saying O.D. who knows? anyone who did is now dead, except elvis.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 11-30-04, 06:08 PM
squeegy200

Bikes: Colnago Altain, Klein Pulse II, Stumpjumper FSR, GT Zaskar LE, Pedalforce RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pantani had so many things which others could only hope to achieve.

He had the personality, the media attraction, the physical talent, and the looks to be a star both on and off the bike.

How many of you would have considered purchasing a Pantani Bike, Pantani clothing, accessories and memorobilia. He had immeasurable commercial appeal. With his appearance and respect from within the industry, I believe he could have easily launched a career behind the microphone.

But as Major Tylor cited earlier, depression is something that goes beyond comprehension for those who have not experienced it. I have within my own family a history of Bi-polar depression. It is hard to empathize with the pain it creates for those who suffer with its effects. But those effects are very real and magnitude so great that often the sufferer would rather end their own life to end the pain. Similar to my own experience, the Pantani's family made numerous attempts to commit Marco into medical facilities. But he resisted every effort. He opted rather to end the suffering alone in a hotel room, with a large amount of cocaine. He knew it was the end. It was his choice.
Old 12-01-04, 07:58 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's so true. I remember that in the 2002 Giro, pantani wasn't doing well and was developing bronchitis, but he didn't want to bail. HE said, "The people need me." Meaning his fans. His fans meant as much to him as he did to them, and I think he'd have stuck around after retirement if he'd been mentally healthy. IF he wouldn't bail on the giro, I can't imagine just doing the ultimate bailout. It just to show you that when you feel that kind of despair, it doesn't matter how much other people love you.
Old 12-01-04, 09:00 PM
parakeethouse

Bikes: Merckx Majestic, Fuji Pro, Bianchi BuSS, Bianchi Fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
https://home.comcast.net/~joejackson9...es/pantani.zip

For those interested in reading the article.

This is very nice of you.
I will still get the magazine when I find it.

thanks joejack!
Old 12-01-04, 09:27 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by parakeethouse
This is very nice of you.
I will still get the magazine when I find it.

thanks joejack!
No prob. I really enjoyed the article and thought it was worth sharing.
Old 12-01-04, 09:47 PM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a print copy (thanks RegularGuy!) that I would happily send along to anyone. PM me your address, and I'll drop it in the mail.

Coincidentally, I rather enjoyed reading the entire mag. Anyone else subscribe to Bicycling and can recommend it (or not)?
Old 12-05-04, 11:50 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclingute
I fully understand what Marco was feeling (the depression). I've been fighting it for years, I was finally able to seek help this year. The docs have been great, and the meds seem to be good. I wish Marco had gotten help, he might be alive today if he had. It was a waste that he died the way he did, but it was also a wake up call for me. I was able to seek help because of Marco. I hope his family is coping well.
Perhaps this is Marco's legacy - inspiring others to get help before it is too late for them also. During this year one of my co-workers who was about 30 died of a drug overdose; a 17 year old relative died suddenly of "natural causes"; and a friend from college who appeared to be the pinnacle of fitness was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. All of these things have made me acutely aware that nothing in the future is guaranteed, and not to take things for granted.
Old 12-07-04, 10:30 AM
brent_dube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by divekrb
(Lance, to his credit, will also attack on occasion, but they are much more calculated and much less frequent)
Pantani seemed to often go on attacks that were silly or tactically bad... but you could tell he always faught so hard. Like on the Ventoux, Chourchevel, Zoncolan, Hautacam, and so on...
Even when there may have been 10 other riders that had better form, he would still go for it.

One that stands out for me is Courchevel (wrong spelling)... even though he did win that day. He was angry over winning Ventoux with Armstrong on his wheel, so he was determined to solo the stage. Watching the video, you could tell he was cooked. And no one could hold his wheel that day.
Old 12-07-04, 10:53 AM
eurotrash666
Quadricepius Exquisitus

Bikes: christini awd, caondale bad boy ultra, 26" hardtail touring bike, KHS track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great article. i found the slant on climbers and mental imbalance interesting. for the most part, i found the article neutral, and it showed the good as well as the bad. i think the downward spiral initiated by a career-devistating event could happen to anybody, in any profession, high profile or not. look at what the UCI did to graeme obree. what's going to happen to tyler? it's a loss and a shame.
Old 12-12-04, 04:45 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Yesterday I just read the Pantani article in Bicycling. I was very impressed with this magazine and they did a great job with the story.

Actually, the rest of the mag was very good, too, considering how crappy the magazine has been the past couple of years. It has gotten so bad that it became simply unreadable. Oh sure, thier is still some some stupid "Get Fast Faster" blather in it but I think the quality of Bicycling has much improved.

I think they finally listened to the criticism and/or thier circulation was getting so low that Rodale had to do something!

Sorry to get off topic! Please continue ...
Old 01-05-05, 11:25 PM
DUHH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
his parents wern't so well off so he probably was ready to do anything to get rich so doping and winning races was his only go.
Old 01-06-05, 07:26 PM
Flaneur

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winning the Tour with a panache not seen since Fignon in '84................

A grimpeur champion, not reliant on a strong team and metronomic TT abilities, he gave hope to those of us who thought the romance of cycling was in terminal decline.

Just a short uphill section in a long descent, it seems.
Old 01-06-05, 09:11 PM
brent_dube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flaneur
Just a short uphill section in a long descent, it seems.
Definetly agree.
The only way to change it would be to totally change the routes and distances to an extent that will never happen.

I'm halfway through watching the 1998 Giro - hopefully I'll find time to watch the rest tomorrow