Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Jan Ullrich= Augustus Gloop

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Jan Ullrich= Augustus Gloop

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 04:36 AM
rockmuncher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeOxfordCT
I don't mean that he has to totally change his style, just work the cadence thing a little....that's what Lance learned from Indurain supposedly when he had cancer and Miguel visited with Lance during some of the Ride for the Roses events....Miguel was a big guy like Jan who could climb...no ?
Jan spent 6 months trying build high cadence into his repetoire. He wasn't comfortable with it so he dropped it.
Old 01-24-05, 06:00 AM
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HigherGround
With all due respect Dan, Lance won the USPRO Championships in 1993. That was the third leg of the Thrift Drug Triple Crown. Thrift Drug was offering a $1 million bonus to any rider who captured all three races in a series, culminating with the USPRO Championships. Lance won the first two races, and as such, was the only one elligible to win the million dollar prize. Despite being heavily marked, Lance rode away from a 4 man breakaway to win solo and claim the $1 million prize. It was compared to announcing that you were going to rob a bank the next day at 8 am, and still pulling it off any way. Keep in mind this was during his very first full season as a pro! (After the '92 Olympics, Lance had ridden as a pro for Motorola for a few months at the end of the season.)

That same year, Lance went on to win a stage of the Tour de France at the age of 21 (?), during his first attempt at the race. The photo of him making his victory salute while wearing the National Champion's jersey always reminded me of an Ed Grimley pose (from Saturday Night Live). I think it was the 8th stage, finishing in Verdun. Lance followed up by winning the World Championship Road Race ahead of Miguel Indurain. Not bad for a rookie debut season!

Old 01-24-05, 11:29 AM
brent_dube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not saying we should expect him to stand & climb out of the saddle for extended periods like Lance, or Pantani but.......Lance learned the high cadence thing....wouldn't Jan benefit from this too ??
Maybe to a degree. But his body is too different to really change, I think. Too many steroids in the past

I also agree that Jan has certainly had great teams to support him too...no excuses there...
He's beaten Lance in a few time trials as well but have we ever really seen him attack ??? Push the pace yes but out & out attack ???
Sestriere 1999? Hautacam 2000? Alpe d'Huez and Pla d'Adet 2001? Mont Ventoux, Plateau de Beille 2002? Luz Ardiden 2003? La Mongie 2004?
Or can it only be called an 'attack' if you don't time the effort, heave all over your bike, and get caught 30 seconds later, like most cyclists do?

"Attack" would be a 'sudden acceleration with the intent of leaving opponents from drafting you', and that would apply for all cases I mentioned.
Old 01-24-05, 11:31 AM
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brent_dube
Maybe to a degree. But his body is too different to really change, I think. Too many steroids in the past

Sestriere 1999? Hautacam 2000? Alpe d'Huez and Pla d'Adet 2001? Mont Ventoux, Plateau de Beille 2002? Luz Ardiden 2003? La Mongie 2004?
Or can it only be called an 'attack' if you don't time the effort, heave all over your bike, and get caught 30 seconds later, like most cyclists do?

"Attack" would be a 'sudden acceleration with the intent of leaving opponents from drafting you', and that would apply for all cases I mentioned.

I meant Jan not Lance
Old 01-24-05, 08:10 PM
brent_dube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I meant Jan not Lance
Earlier post says it all (by I dontremember whom)... I'm really not up to my game

Wonder what happened at Arcalis (sp? Andorra 1997)... I didn't see that Tour.

He put in a nice attack in I think HEW CLassics in 2003, on a late climb.
Then there were some tries at the Tour that were 'attacks' but they were mostly very gradual. Maybe just on the Peyresourde in 2001? That was the Pla d'Adet stage, where only Armstrong could follow him at first.
Old 02-08-05, 04:35 PM
The_Convert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
Lance has said several times that Jan is the more talented rider.

To me the difference between the two is a matter of drive and determination.
Whew, im glad somebody said it.
I think Jan is more naturally gifted. If he had the drive to train a little harder and keep his weight off I believe he would be the icon of this era.
However, you can't blame his character for his lack of drive. He keeps coming back again and again to be 2nd to somebody who seems unbeatable. That must kill your motivation a bit.
I also am a big Jan fan because he is a total class act.

About the cadence...
it is totally dependant on the pysiology of the person. The high cadence is really only superior because of the ability for break-neck accelerations
Old 02-08-05, 08:28 PM
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=divekrb]The two guys that beat Jan in the TDF (Pantani and Lance) might kill your mother if they thought it would help them win. [QUOTE]

Wow that's a hell of an analogy...
Old 02-08-05, 09:58 PM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The difference is in the mountains. He can TT with anybody and flat stages are meaningless. He rarely if ever attacks. Its that methodical mash up the mountainside. And then he descends like he's falling out of a tree. Breaks my heart to see this every year.
Old 02-09-05, 07:10 AM
fight or flight

Bikes: '59 Chrome Carlton track, '04 Bianchi Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gustaf
Thats like asking Roberto Heras to learn how to sprint like Petacchi. Not going to happen.
But the question still remains. Jan chomping on the big gear up the mountains hurts just watching.
Old 02-09-05, 11:14 AM
Brett 12
Look at these hotties.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by divekrb
Jan just isn't mentally strong enough to impose his will on the TDF. The two guys that beat Jan in the TDF (Pantani and Lance) might kill your mother if they thought it would help them win. He hasn't even imposed his will on his own team. Jan's a nice guy and a class act, but he doesn't hate finishing second.

Wow! You know divekrb it has been said in Bodybuilding circles that the only athlete who takes more drugs than Mr. Olympia is the guy that wins the TDF.
Old 02-10-05, 07:01 AM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like Augustus has fallen ill with a cold. Seems a common problem with him this time of year. Hope it isn't prolonged.