Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton vs. Tikit

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton vs. Tikit

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 02:49 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I could ride the 12 miles to work but there is one obstacle known as the Mersey (river) Tunnel. You can only ride a bike through the tunnel before 6am or after 9pm which would make for a very long working day. I therefore need to use public transport to cross the river and seeing as I already buy a monthly Railpass I’d be foolish not to make full use of it and travel most of the way by train.

Sometimes if the weather is nice I will jump off the train at the mainline station and ride the country lanes home just for fun. I also take the bike/s into the city shopping.

I am riding all year round in all conditions and have an increasing number of bikes in the collection (7 with more due soon)so does this make me any less of a “real” cyclist than a weekend club rider?
Old 07-29-09, 08:30 AM
OldiesONfoldies
Small wheels ARE better!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Given the harsh tone of some of the postings here, I believe the disease of Foldicentrism is prevalent... read about it here.

https://lovethefold.blogspot.com/2009...icentrism.html
Old 07-29-09, 10:03 AM
mup24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great blog post, Oldie! I know I would not recommend my fixed gear Tikit to everybody, especially this week when I am commuting 20 miles each way in 95 degree heat:-) Ok, if you're a nutcase like me, I recommend my Tikit to you. May all folding bikes live long and prosper.
Old 07-29-09, 10:06 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"Given the harsh tone of some of the postings here, I believe the disease of Foldicentrism is prevalent... read about it here."

+1

We know there are merits of each bike as long as they get fairly reviewed its fine.
I have left negerative comments due to overly positive Brompton reviews before in these forums. It is not that I do not like the bike, it is the fact that good alternatives get over looked. Nor do I think all people should own a Mezzo,(or 2), But I find the Mezzo meets my needs best. ( after a few mods and upgrades)

I also own a Dahon Curve, having found it the only folder that all members of the family can ride. I also find it superior to the Mezzo for doing large shopping trips and attaching 2 bags. MY wife prefers the Mezzo to all the 16" folders I have had, but al expect the Diblai she finds difficult to fold. It has been the only bike that all the family,(including a 7 year old), can unfold safely without supervision. I can not think of another folder that could do this.

However none of them preform BMX tricks like an Onza mini bike can, but the curve is not bad considering!

Generally I prefer the ride and fold of previous Bromptons to my Dahon Curve. Bromptons fold quicker and more simply. However there is no place for the Brompton qualities in this mixture of bikes. I like the Tikit more generally, but again I have no use for it qualities currently.

Many of us own combinations of folders as we know none is perfect. I wonder about the combination of owning a Brompton and tikit? One is a Fast folding, fast, good handling bike that large enough for most men, the other a tad smaller, slower, but folds smaller and handles luggage better.

Last edited by bhkyte; 07-29-09 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 12:02 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bhkyte
Many of us own combinations of folders as we know none is perfect. I wonder about the combination of Brompton and tikit?
I would love to see that combination. Best Bike EVAR! []
Old 07-29-09, 12:58 PM
Biont

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brompton+Tikit= Brompt Tikit (or Tikit Brompt)

A Brompton 8 speed hub gear with disc brakes and Bionx or Nano electric motor and batteries inside the frame combined with Tikit fold and standard components just like a Tikit. Did I say the weight including the motor and batteries should be 24 pounds max?
Old 07-29-09, 01:54 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biont
A Brompton 8 speed hub gear with disc brakes and Bionx or Nano electric motor and batteries inside the frame combined with Tikit fold and standard components just like a Tikit. Did I say the weight including the motor and batteries should be 24 pounds max?
And it should fly.
Old 07-29-09, 07:09 PM
OldiesONfoldies
Small wheels ARE better!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mup24
Great blog post, Oldie! I know I would not recommend my fixed gear Tikit to everybody, especially this week when I am commuting 20 miles each way in 95 degree heat:-) Ok, if you're a nutcase like me, I recommend my Tikit to you. May all folding bikes live long and prosper.

A fixed gear Tikit? Wow, you sure are a nut case that I truly respect and admire!!! You take the cake for the nuttiest foldy rider in my books

Your fellow tikiteer
Old 07-29-09, 07:11 PM
OldiesONfoldies
Small wheels ARE better!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Given the harsh tone of some of the postings here, I believe the disease of Foldicentrism is prevalent... read about it here."

+1

We know there are merits of each bike as long as they get fairly reviewed its fine.
I have left negerative comments due to overly positive Brompton reviews before in these forums. It is not that I do not like the bike, it is the fact that good alternatives get over looked. Nor do I think all people should own a Mezzo,(or 2), But I find the Mezzo meets my needs best. ( after a few mods and upgrades)

I also own a Dahon Curve, having found it the only folder that all members of the family can ride. I also find it superior to the Mezzo for doing large shopping trips and attaching 2 bags. MY wife prefers the Mezzo to all the 16" folders I have had, but al expect the Diblai she finds difficult to fold. It has been the only bike that all the family,(including a 7 year old), can unfold safely without supervision. I can not think of another folder that could do this.

However none of them preform BMX tricks like an Onza mini bike can, but the curve is not bad considering!

Generally I prefer the ride and fold of previous Bromptons to my Dahon Curve. Bromptons fold quicker and more simply. However there is no place for the Brompton qualities in this mixture of bikes. I like the Tikit more generally, but again I have no use for it qualities currently.

Many of us own combinations of folders as we know none is perfect. I wonder about the combination of owning a Brompton and tikit? One is a Fast folding, fast, good handling bike that large enough for most men, the other a tad smaller, slower, but folds smaller and handles luggage better.

Now that will be something truly special! I hope the bike makers are reading this excellent forum
Old 07-29-09, 07:21 PM
mup24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldiesONfoldies
A fixed gear Tikit? Wow, you sure are a nut case that I truly respect and admire!!! You take the cake for the nuttiest foldy rider in my books

Your fellow tikiteer
Hahaha thanks! It's true, I am in insane. It's over 100 degrees here in Seattle and I am about to embark on a 20-mile ride home.
Old 07-29-09, 09:17 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Mup28 I would like to see your Tikit sometime if possible. I work in the Northgate Area.
Old 07-29-09, 09:29 PM
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fixed gear tikits are not such a rarity, they are standard-issue model from Bike friday, its called a "one way tikit"

i got one with 8sp internals, disc brakes, and dynamo hub with edelux front and toplight rear lights. it is a modified "season tikit". it can carry two full sized panniers up front and two small ones in back, plus a tent, bedrooll and a handlebar bag and is still a great ride loaded up with 50kg or not, day or night, rain or shine! it folds plenty small for me, although if they made it fold even smaller a-la brompton, that would be smething. In any case, give me touring capabilities and good ride quality over smallness of fold any day.

Oh, did I mention i can convert my bike to fixed gear easliy by simply swithcing out the rear wheel? This is thanks to the innovative adjustable tikit drop outs (used on season and one way tikits).

Sorry brompton, but you do have alot of catching up to do!
Old 07-30-09, 03:05 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OldiesONfoldies
Now that will be something truly special! I hope the bike makers are reading this excellent forum
I do not mean combining the bikes. I mean owning both bikes would be a good combination. I thick my mezzo is this combination to a large extent, but as I said no bike is perfect.
Old 07-30-09, 04:19 AM
Biont

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed
fixed gear tikits are not such a rarity, they are standard-issue model from Bike friday, its called a "one way tikit"

i got one with 8sp internals, disc brakes, and dynamo hub with edelux front and toplight rear lights. it is a modified "season tikit". it can carry two full sized panniers up front and two small ones in back, plus a tent, bedrooll and a handlebar bag and is still a great ride loaded up with 50kg or not, day or night, rain or shine! it folds plenty small for me, although if they made it fold even smaller a-la brompton, that would be smething. In any case, give me touring capabilities and good ride quality over smallness of fold any day.

Oh, did I mention i can convert my bike to fixed gear easliy by simply swithcing out the rear wheel? This is thanks to the innovative adjustable tikit drop outs (used on season and one way tikits).

Sorry brompton, but you do have alot of catching up to do!
As I put it above a Brompton with Tikit's folding speed or better with Tikit's riding pleasure (as reported by many) would be nice. Or a Tikit folding neatly and small just lik a Brompton.

Anyway, besides the smaller fold Brompton's looks is more pretty and aesthetically the more elegant. It's just have an air of sophistication. It's a personal taste however. I need to choose a foldable now and I am between a Tikit, Brompton and Birdie. Since I intend to add an electric motor assistance later, Brompton is a better solution. Tikit can probably be motorized as well but Brompton has a solution already. I can go for Birdie any minute though, leaving Tikit vs Brompton issue behind.
Old 07-30-09, 06:21 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Biont
As I put it above a Brompton with Tikit's folding speed or better with Tikit's riding pleasure (as reported by many) would be nice. Or a Tikit folding neatly and small just lik a Brompton.

Anyway, besides the smaller fold Brompton's looks is more pretty and aesthetically the more elegant. It's just have an air of sophistication. It's a personal taste however. I need to choose a foldable now and I am between a Tikit, Brompton and Birdie. Since I intend to add an electric motor assistance later, Brompton is a better solution. Tikit can probably be motorized as well but Brompton has a solution already. I can go for Birdie any minute though, leaving Tikit vs Brompton issue behind.
I would go for an electric birdie over an electric Brompton, better ride quality and handling is reguired for the extra weight.IMO
Old 07-30-09, 01:54 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
BY the way the Trikit is not the "Worlds fastest folding bike" as seen on UTUBE.
A Diblasi is faster, typically 3.5 seconds when I owed mine.No rush, no practice required.

https://www.diblasi.co.uk/Video.asp?Prd=R22&Lng=En

Last edited by bhkyte; 07-30-09 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 04:00 PM
feijai

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Diblasi is faster, typically 3.5 seconds when I owed mine.No rush, no practice required.
I'll take your word for it, though it looks like it requires two latches.

What spooks me about the DiBlasi is the automatic handlebar folding, dual-bar seatpost, and forced rear triangle movement movement look like a recipe for some big-time hand pinches, if not worse. That plus the base weight (29 pounds) and the non-adjustable seatpost height and handlebars give me pause.

Old 07-30-09, 04:15 PM
Simple Simon
Life in Mono

Bikes: 5 bikes, all the usual types

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That Di Blasi is damn impressive ! no camera tricks or super slick demo man.
Old 07-30-09, 09:33 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by feijai
I'll take your word for it, though it looks like it requires two latches.

What spooks me about the DiBlasi is the automatic handlebar folding, dual-bar seatpost, and forced rear triangle movement movement look like a recipe for some big-time hand pinches, if not worse. That plus the base weight (29 pounds) and the non-adjustable seatpost height and handlebars give me pause.

Fold off!

(Can you really not adjust the DiBlasi's seatpost? That seems extremely...limiting).
Old 07-30-09, 10:31 PM
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3.5 seconds huh? i can fold my tikit faster than that, even with the twiddly knob
AND still, no other folder in this category has the solutions the tikit offers:
-touring capability (four panniers +handlebar bag, tent and bedroll, and still handles great)
-disc brakes
-easy conversion to fixed gear
-internal gear hub with no chain tensioner or ANY other gear set-up (capreo, rohloff, whatever you want)
-rides like a real bike
-can weigh as little as 7kg!! (fixed gear set up)
-ability to customize (Bike Friday will literally build the bike to your specs, for little more than the base model price)

as I said before... ALOT of catching up to do

Last edited by ChiapasFixed; 07-30-09 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 11:35 PM
Biont

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DiBlasi looks very industial. Folded rectangular shape seems neat however not smallish. And to me it seems as if some parts mightsuddenly come off or loosen and start to wobble because everyth'ng 's held place by nuts and bolts and not weldings. Also the seat post limiting the body position to an upright ride would not be welcome by many people. And to be honest, Tikits fold seemed quicker and more fluent to me. However half a second or 1-2 seconds are very trivial, one can easily live withg even other bike's 15-20 second folds if the object is not taking people by surprise and think it was impressive and enjoy it. Not something meaningful to me.

Tikit is an excellent bike as much as I see, however it can not be motorized easily (and I admit electric on a Tikit might steal the joy out of a Tikit, maybe more than it would do to other bikes) and it seems it is not as rigid as others.
Old 07-31-09, 03:45 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree that a small difference in folding speed is not that important. But it is easier to fold than a Tikit and faster believe me!

Mine was the older 16" version, so my impression is based on an older model. The diblasi fold could not be simplier! The main part of the bike simply collapses and locks with the lifting of a catch and a small shove.Then repeat for the bars. THe bike ends up self standing, and is a very compact process no lifting or struggling. Its almost like unfolding an umbrella!

The Diblasi is upright, heavy and a bit industrial agreed. But reliable,folds with out fuss and low maintence, none of the bolts come loose other time in my experience. It can be folded by a small child and learnt in about a minute. The Trikit is fast to fold, but its not as easy. The width of the bike makes the package much more managable compaired to other bikes, don't forget this is a 20" bike. It also folds so easy it rarely needs carying. It is no tourer, although front and rear racks are available. On the older version nether of the rack bags need to be removed in the fold. It is difficult to upgrade the handlebars and stem or seat.

The ride of my 16" was ultimately disappointing, as it was slow, under geared, and the seat was only high enough on the minimum insert, which made it a bit weak. However this can easy be altered, and the larger 20" bike will not suffer from this?

So quick summery

Certainly IMO the 16" was folded faster and more convient than a Brompton on the train or to get in to a car, but is heavier rides less well. However the larger 20" may well fit and ride better than a Brompton?

Compaired to the Trikit,it is not a replacement for the tikit dynamic qualities. It is a great bike for an older person or for someone who wants the minimum of fuss or maintenance. Or as as family bike that needs to be unfolded by a number of people.

It is a rival commuter bike for anything out there. We all choose bikes for their individual qualities, this package does work really well however you look at it. I prefer a Mezzo to the Brompton for train commuting ,but the Brompton is undeniably a functional package, and so is this.

I sold my 16" version to get a Brompton and was not impressed with the slower fold and the marginal improvement in ride. My used 16" Diblasi cost £80 with a bag!

I would like to add a R22, but the cost is £650ish, and I have virtually no chance of finding a used one on EBAY. I may buy one when I finish my decree.

I would love to hear a review of the R22 as I mentioned I am extrapulating from my experience of an older16" model.

Last edited by bhkyte; 07-31-09 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-31-09, 06:59 AM
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so.... in terms of best overall in it's category we all agree the Tikit wins hands down, RIGHT?
Old 07-31-09, 07:33 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed
so.... in terms of best overall in it's category we all agree the Tikit wins hands down, RIGHT?
Not if your family can't fold it, it needs to stand securely when folded, it needs to be fitted with big apples tires,you want to leave luggage on when folded,you want a low maintence bike, you find it does not folds small enought, it will not fit in to the boot of many small cars as the folded package is too thick.................................

I love the Tikit, but
You seemed to have missed my point!
Old 07-31-09, 08:19 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Will the Tikit fit between the seat backs of a Merseytravel train? Will it fit in the boot of my sportscar? Can I test ride one without travelling at least 100 miles? Does the Tikit have the proven track record (25 years plus) of a Brompton? Is it compact enough (to be covered) and brought into most UK buildings? Does it inspire the admiration and pride in a classic hand-built British product that Brompton enjoys?

The answer is NO!

Maybe if the Tikit is still being produced in 25 years it can be judged to be a great success like the Brompton....... but somehow given the fast paced nature of Bike Friday I think the Tikit will be made obsolete with years by the next BF design.
Don’t get me wrong, I think that Bike Friday make some great bikes, but they are a very different company to Brompton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.