Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suspension upgrade advice

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 03:13 PM
Ricfrog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking about changing my 120mm forks to 160mm forks on my specialized camber. This is due to the 120 forks bottoming out and not being able to take the harsher trails (as I grow more confident). Will this put to much strain on my head set and will it improve my ride? Thanks for your help Rich
Old 06-27-17, 03:56 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottoming out the forks has less to do with how large they are and more to do with the resistance they provide. Are you a heavy rider? Is the 120mm fork a coil spring fork? Is it an air fork? If it is an air fork, is it to the correct pressure for you?

When you sit on the bike VERY gently, how much does the front fork compress? 10%? 20%? 30%? 40%?
Old 06-27-17, 10:36 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Not to send you in another direction, but you may want to check our MTBR and see what they may say.

John
Old 06-28-17, 01:54 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Bottoming out the forks has less to do with how large they are and more to do with the resistance they provide.

+1

If you are bottoming out on a correctly set up fork, you are riding harder than the bike was intended for.

Changing one part will only move the limiting factor somewhere else.
As in something quite important breaking on a landing.

Check the set up.
If it's good, and you still bottom out, get a bike intended for harder riding.

Or expect breakages. and pain.
Going from 120 to 160 is 1/3 as much travel.
It'll change the steering geometry considerably. Even if the bike holds up, you may not be happy with the results.
Old 06-28-17, 08:20 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Not to send you in another direction, but you may want to check our MTBR and see what they may say.
+1, there's a pretty big hole in BF usership/expertise where MTB are concerned, and that hole lives at mtbr.com. I go there for MTB-specific questions.
Old 06-28-17, 08:45 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Swapping in a longer fork will decrease your head tube angle which will make the bike slacker--it will steer slower, which will make it more stable at speed, at the expense of requiring more input to keep on a line at low speeds, such as when climbing.

It will also raise your bottom bracket and your center of gravity which has the effect of making the bike less stable steering, but will increase pedal clearance.

Also effected is your seat tube angle--it will also become slacker, which means you will need to move your saddle forward on its rails to maintain the same position, if there is room on the rails.

Generally, it's reasonable to increase travel 10-20mm, but I'd bet your bike would ride worse than it does now with a 160. If that is what you want, you have the wrong bike. Besides the geometry changes, it would unbalance the suspension on your bike.

Also, if you're bottoming out now there's a lot of suspension setup you can do to help. First of all, the air pressure/sag needs to be appropriate. Also, you may be running too slow of a rebound, so your fork is packing up with successive hits. Lastly, if you add volume spacers to your suspension it will make the spring rate more progressive, which will make the suspension resist compression more later in it's travel, reducing bottom out.