Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Elemnt Bolt fails to update

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 07:10 AM
Htromada

Bikes: Road bike: 2017 Trek Domane, Shimano 105 groupo, hydraulic brakes. Mountain bike: 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper, Shimano Deore DX, 3x7. Front: 26-36-46. Rear: 11-28.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks, I apologize if this has been answered. I did look first. I have a new Elemnt Bolt that is failing to update. I have exchanged several messages with Wahoo Support, which has concluded that I should send the unit back in for replacement. I am skeptical that this will resolve my problem. The unit otherwise seems to perform just fine. I am going to list what I've done so far in hopes that someone has an insight. Thanks!

I live on the road, so I am using the hotel wifi. I bring this up because I did find a thread that indicates the security setting on your home server can affect updates. However, it also failed to update using a cell phone hot spot. Also, when I first got my Bolt (Christmas!), it updated no problem on a house server.

Here is the message I sent the help desk: "The companion app for my Bolt indicates an update is needed -- 9-1836. I click install and it says checking for Wifi and then "downloading update." However, after a period of time, it goes back to saying "update available." I am connected to WiFi at a hotel. My Bolt shows a Wifi symbol that at first blinks and then holds steady when I ask it to check for updates."

What we tried:
Trying to update from both the companion app and the Bolt itself
Telling the Bolt to "forget" my iPhone and then pairing them again.
I now realize I didn't try the following idea, because it made no sense to me at the time: "On the BOLT, unpair all of the sensors from the ELEMNT and delete all of the maps then try updating again."
I made sure location permissions were turned on. They are, for when I am using the app.

So, there you have it. My. Bolt now also says that new maps are available and these, too, fail to download. If it matters, my provider is Sprint.
Old 02-02-18, 07:31 AM
Htromada

Bikes: Road bike: 2017 Trek Domane, Shimano 105 groupo, hydraulic brakes. Mountain bike: 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper, Shimano Deore DX, 3x7. Front: 26-36-46. Rear: 11-28.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just tried deleting my maps and unpairing all my sensors. No change. Still not updating.
Old 02-02-18, 07:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
that stinks. I suppose figuring out where to have it sent once Wahoo gets it fixed is pretty difficult?
Old 02-02-18, 08:54 AM
Htromada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, the problem turned out to be me, naturally. The solution was to use a hotspot instead of my hotel's wifi. Previously, I'd neglected the step of connecting the Bolt to the hotspot by turning to the wifi settings on the companion app. I had a vague notion that if my iPhone was connected to the hotspot, the app on my phone would be as well. Not so! Also, you can start the update process on the companion app, but must select install when it shows up on the Bolt itself. Now, my Bolt is happily reinstalling its maps.
Old 02-02-18, 10:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

good news
Old 02-03-18, 02:33 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
The online documentation states that you can not use wifi from a hotel or other places that require a login or one that has an agreement screen. A phone's hotspot will work but the upload has to be done from the Bolt and the hotspot server can not be secured.

I take my bike with me while on most vacations. I emailed Wahoo if it would be possible for them to provide a link to download the firmware file by placing the link next to the firmware description on their support page. As of yet, I haven't see this happen. This would solve the issue of not being able to update the firmware when in a hotel. You can simply plug your Bolt into the hotel's guest computer, where it sees it as a hard drive, download the file and place it directly in the Bolt. Problem solved!

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-04-18, 12:02 AM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Bolt can't connect to a wifi that presents a login screen, such as what you typically find at a hotel or airport. This is because the device has no way to show the login screen to you. The only kind of wifi it can connect to is the kind that simply has a password you can set via the companion app, or one that is unsecured (no password). Some hotspots would fall in to this category, as would most Starbucks or other places of business. I've also tried tethering the bolt to my phone, but have never had success doing that. So I would not recommend sending the Bolt back. The next one you get will have the same problem.
Old 02-04-18, 07:50 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by wnl256
The Bolt can't connect to a wifi that presents a login screen, such as what you typically find at a hotel or airport. This is because the device has no way to show the login screen to you. The only kind of wifi it can connect to is the kind that simply has a password you can set via the companion app, or one that is unsecured (no password). Some hotspots would fall in to this category, as would most Starbucks or other places of business. I've also tried tethering the bolt to my phone, but have never had success doing that. So I would not recommend sending the Bolt back. The next one you get will have the same problem.
Well and as stated in post 4, he had success using a hotspot.
Old 02-05-18, 10:02 AM
Htromada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me guys. It was a puzzling problem for a while, one that a Google search didn't solve right away. John V., if you get the chance, could you point me toward the online documentation you're referring to? I didn't find anything along those lines when I was looking earlier and now I wonder what else I might be missing. Thanks!
Old 02-05-18, 05:55 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Here you go.

https://www.wahoofitness.com/instruc...ct-information
Old 02-06-18, 09:18 AM
Htromada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Originally Posted by John_V
Thanks!
Old 10-21-18, 08:55 AM
Iwishihadknown

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had an Element Bolt Bundle for a week. I have ridden a few times and my rides are uploading but no where close to correctly. They are showing 0 in the miles traveled and are showing 33 seconds as the time length of the ride when all of these rides have been longer than an hour. I have spent hours in research and experimenting and I have not had success. I am attempting to upload to Strava and I am using the Element APP and the Wahoo Fitness APP.
Any insight is appreciated.
Old 10-21-18, 11:20 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Iwishihadknown
I have had an Element Bolt Bundle for a week. I have ridden a few times and my rides are uploading but no where close to correctly. They are showing 0 in the miles traveled and are showing 33 seconds as the time length of the ride when all of these rides have been longer than an hour. I have spent hours in research and experimenting and I have not had success. I am attempting to upload to Strava and I am using the Element APP and the Wahoo Fitness APP.
Any insight is appreciated.
When you start riding your bike, does the Bolt ever : Beep and and show text that says "START RIDE?"?
Old 10-21-18, 11:33 AM
Iwishihadknown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I am quite sure it does.
Old 10-21-18, 11:42 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Yes, I am quite sure it does.
Good.

I am not being a smartass, but do you then press and hold the center button until it beeps? (about 1/2 second)
Old 10-21-18, 11:52 AM
Iwishihadknown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No offense taken! At this point I am ready to stomp the thing into pieces.
it does record the ride. I don’t remember if it beeps. I will make sure of it.
it uploads the ride to Strava just not accurately. It uploads in the manner I described.
i rode for an hour and a half a short time ago and it did the same thing again.
Old 10-21-18, 07:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Is it uploading to the phone app and is that data different then what Strava shows ?. You can also setup a free RWGPS account and try it there.
Old 10-22-18, 12:53 AM
sierrabob

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Element app and the Wahoo Fitness app are two separate apps, right? Are you able to record a ride without the Bolt by just using the Wahoo Fitness app? Can you then share that to Strava or some other fitness tracking site?
Old 10-22-18, 08:02 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I would contact wahoo support. I have had good luck with them. Sometimes you have to be persistent
Old 10-22-18, 11:27 AM
Iwishihadknown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Is it uploading to the phone app and is that data different then what Strava shows ?. You can also setup a free RWGPS account and try it there.
I am using the Element App and the Wahoo Fitness app and the Bolt. They are all running at the same time as I ride. When the information is uploaded from the Bolt to Strava, what Strava shows consistently are rides less than a minute in length with no other information being displayed. All of my rides have been an hour plus and speed, rpm's and heart rate all are shown accurately of the Bolt and each of these two apps. When the information uploads from Bolt it is incorrect in the manner described above here. When I manually upload from each of the two apps it is incorrectly displayed in the exact same manner.
Thank you for responding.
Old 10-22-18, 11:27 AM
Iwishihadknown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sierrabob
The Element app and the Wahoo Fitness app are two separate apps, right? Are you able to record a ride without the Bolt by just using the Wahoo Fitness app? Can you then share that to Strava or some other fitness tracking site?
I will try this. Thank you.
Old 10-22-18, 11:29 AM
Iwishihadknown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I would contact wahoo support. I have had good luck with them. Sometimes you have to be persistent
I am trying to have them assist me.
Old 10-22-18, 05:37 PM
Steve B.

I am using the Element App and the Wahoo Fitness app and the Bolt. They are all running at the same time as I ride. When the information is uploaded from the Bolt to Strava, what Strava shows consistently are rides less than a minute in length with no other information being displayed. All of my rides have been an hour plus and speed, rpm's and heart rate all are shown accurately of the Bolt and each of these two apps. When the information uploads from Bolt it is incorrect in the manner described above here. When I manually upload from each of the two apps it is incorrectly displayed in the exact same manner.
Thank you for responding.
As an attempt to determine where the bad data is being generated, the question was essentially is the Bolt recording the ride ?, does the correct ride data (if any) show up on the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt app, the one that BT connects to the device and reads/sends data to the device ?. If memory serves, the tracked ride data goes from the device to the phone app, up to the Wahoo site, than to Strava. Thus you need to find out where the data is wrong - device, phone app or Strava.
Old 10-22-18, 07:04 PM
Iwishihadknown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
As an attempt to determine where the bad data is being generated, the question was essentially is the Bolt recording the ride ?, does the correct ride data (if any) show up on the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt app, the one that BT connects to the device and reads/sends data to the device ?. If memory serves, the tracked ride data goes from the device to the phone app, up to the Wahoo site, than to Strava. Thus you need to find out where the data is wrong - device, phone app or Strava.
The Bolt has the data correct, it is correct on the Wahoo Element App and Wahoo Fitness App. When uploaded to Strava it doesn’t appear on Strava correctly.
Old 10-22-18, 08:39 PM
Steve B.

Pick one and I’d choose the Bolt. I can see where Strava is getting confused by 2 different rides getting logged, one from the fitness app, the other from the Bolt. You don’t need both, or just have the fitness app not send to Strava.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.