Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Schlumpf's Strida Speed Drive Kit

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 07:33 PM
fwd-bwd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

What many Strida owners have been waiting for is finally here. Behold the Strida Speed Drive Kit:

https://www.schlumpf.ch/news.engl.htm

The official price tag is 519 euros! Maybe it's to justify the cost or to deter people from buying ATS Speed Drive, Schlumpf made this statement:

"Please notice: the internal parts were modified in order to correspond with the higher proload of the belt compared with a chain. Always ask for the original Schlumpf speed-drive made in Switzerland!"

Old 03-23-10, 08:13 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Peace & Grease

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I owned a Strida, this would be on my bike
Old 03-24-10, 07:53 AM
feijai

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you owned a Strida, this would be more expensive than your entire bike.
Old 03-24-10, 08:41 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's true Feijai, I really wanted this but at that price it's around the same price as a nice dahon curve with 3 speeds and it's a nice small bike also (I was looking at these two bikes when I made my first folder purchase but decided to go weird). I know I can live with my single speed people mover, if I really wanted a few more gear inches I'll probably shove in those 18 inch wheels.
Old 03-24-10, 11:32 AM
Simple Simon
Life in Mono

Bikes: 5 bikes, all the usual types

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I think the 18" wheel is probably a better upgrade bet ... keeps the simplicity :-) Or, buy a 2 speed strida new, they seem to be filtering into the shops, (but on past experience this will be in the far east first, and UK last).
Old 03-24-10, 11:47 AM
fwd-bwd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Buying a new 2 speed Strida may be more economical for people who don't own a Strida 5 yet. For current owners, however, the upgrade kit is still a cheaper choice than a new 2 Speed Strida. What's more, the stock 2 speed Strida is equipped with ATS Speed Drive not Schlumpf. On Schlumpf's website it warns:

"The belt drive speed-drive comes with a special geometry of the internals, which matches the requirements of the higher belt tension, compared with a chain. Never combine a standard speed-drive with a belt drive."

Unless ATS is also licensed to manufacture this special belt-drive version of Speed Drive, the reliability of its product on Strida might be in question.
Old 03-24-10, 01:47 PM
Simple Simon
Life in Mono

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
There is a similar discussion over on the Strida forum
I dont run my Stridas with high belt tension - I'm sure its better for the bearings etc. and correctly adjusted the snubber stops belt jump.
Old 06-05-10, 02:27 PM
fwd-bwd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Speed Drive kit for Strida is finally shipping. An owner in Austria shared his experience and photos on Strida Forum:

https://www.stridaforum.com/forum/vie...start=15#p4554

https://www.stridaforum.com/forum/vie...start=15#p4558

Here's the cost breakdown:

Speed Drive Kit, including silver crank arms CHF 689
Black crank arms (optional) CHF 10
Strida Parts (EBB, sprocket, and belt) CHF 100
Easy-shift kick plates (optional, silver or black) CHF 45
Strida installation and maintenance toolset CHF 32

Schlumpf offers 4% rebate for bank transfer payments cleared within 10 days after purchase. The deal is probably only available to continental Europe though. Anyway, people who are interested should contact Jolanda <office@schlumpf.ch>. It's a small company therefore it may take a few days before someone replies your inquiries. So be patient.
Old 06-05-10, 06:48 PM
Chop!

Bikes: GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ridden the 2-speed ATS version (with 18" wheels) and it is a very nice & speedy ride, which is a little easier on hills.
The ATS drive is a little 'clunky' compared to genuine Schlumpf drives.
At £200-250, I thought it expensive but worth it, at £400+ it's out of my reach
The Strida I borrowed, from Mark Sanders, also had the new quickly adjustable seat. Simply release the 2 overcentre catches, then pull out the red catch & the seat slides through 1/2 it's total travel. i.e. it still uses that pin system, so if you put it on the higher pin the seat can be adjusted mid to high, on the lower pin from mid to low.
Mark said he wanted Ming to change to a slot in the rear of the frame, so that the seat could be adjusted from top to bottom seamlessly, but George wanted to be able to retro fit the kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1000566..JPG (83.2 KB, 40 views)
P1000564..JPG (83.5 KB, 29 views)
P1000571..JPG (86.0 KB, 33 views)
P1000567..JPG (85.4 KB, 40 views)
P1000570..JPG (89.3 KB, 32 views)
Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!
Old 06-05-10, 08:48 PM
fwd-bwd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Chop! Does Mark intend to update his Strida and IF-Mode designs to incorporate a gear hub?
Old 06-06-10, 05:38 AM
Chop!

Bikes: GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fwd-bwd
Thanks Chop! Does Mark intend to update his Strida and IF-Mode designs to incorporate a gear hub?
These days it's all down to Ming, Mark is still involved but at the end of the day, it's George & co who have the final say.
I would not expect a gear hub to follow, the Strida is about simplicity and those super narrow hubs (also used on some of the iF models) make for a compact fold, but leave no room for hub gears.
There's plenty of scope for gear options in the iF range of folders.
Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!
Old 06-06-10, 08:09 AM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the Strida and I love the Schlumpf (I have both, but not on the same bike). I admire them both for their design and engineering.

But I just can't help feel that they're so overpriced as to be inaccessible to most people out there. If only they could get their prices down so that their customers don't have to take a second job to be able to afford one...
Old 06-06-10, 03:18 PM
Simple Simon
Life in Mono

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
At $499 in the US its not bad you lucky folk ! It costs us more in UK.

Good pictures Chop.
I guess the 2 speed gearing with the smaller 16" wheels would be better for hill climbing, but with a lower top gear than with 18" wheels.

Last edited by Simple Simon; 06-06-10 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-07-10, 01:54 AM
Chop!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Simple Simon
At $499 in the US its not bad you lucky folk ! It costs us more in UK.

Good pictures Chop.
I guess the 2 speed gearing with the smaller 16" wheels would be better for hill climbing, but with a lower top gear than with 18" wheels.
Yep, If you wanted to use your Strida in more hilly areas then 16" with 2-speed would be better, but on the flat the 18" 2-speed flies.

One of the main advantages of the 2nd speed, for me, is that you don't spin out on downhill bits as easily
Old 08-15-10, 06:03 AM
Amuro Lee

Bikes: A-bike, Strida & ,etc.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is opinion about the ATS and Schumpf versions of speed-drive from Mark Sanders:
Originally Posted by Mark Sanders
Yes the ATS version of the schumpf is now very strong and very similar to the Swiss schumpf, this is used on IF Mode, Strida and Carry-Me DS. Also we used this gear in the Smithfield nocturn Folding bike race - where it did perfect service - in spite of being REALLY hammered in race conditions. The only weak point on both the Taiwanese ATS AND the Swiss version is on how it is assembled by the bicycle company - it is VITAL that the main locking ring (largest ring on the LHS with 3 slots in it) is really tight, because if it is loose the whole gear can slip and then wear the teeth that grip it to the bottom bracket.

Last edited by Amuro Lee; 08-15-10 at 06:11 AM.