Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Peron on Basso and Cunego

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-05, 10:40 AM
geneman
rider of small bicycles

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"On the inevitable comparison between Basso and Italy's other rising star, Damiano Cunego, Peron said: "I believe it's harder to finish third in the Tour than to win the Giro."

Peron and Basso are both on CSC, so clearly Peron's opinion is tainted ... but, does anybody believe this? I don't.

-mark
Old 01-16-05, 10:44 AM
don d.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by geneman
Peron said: "I believe it's harder to finish third in the Tour than to win the Giro."
I agree. I would go further though and say it is harder to finish in the top ten in the TDF than it is to win the Giro. I think Peron was being diplomatic.

Old 01-16-05, 10:57 AM
Jaco
Italo-racer

Bikes: 03 Bianchi Veloce, 04 Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by don d.
I agree. I would go further though and say it is harder to finish in the top ten in the TDF than it is to win the Giro. I think Peron was being diplomatic.
How do you figure?
Old 01-16-05, 11:15 AM
don d.

The Giro is a fundamentally different race than the TDF. There is little emphasis placed on time trials and there are no real "high" mountains as in the TDF. So the TDF demands more from it's victor than the Giro. To win the TDF, you must be a good time trialer and climber, a more rounded rider. Some would cite exceptions like Pantani, but many questions surround his performances. Look at Simoni, Garzelli, Gotti, Hampsten, Salvodelli, Casagrande, Bugno, on and on. Look at the top three in the Giro and analyze where they finish in the TDF. Generally, they are nowhere. Sure there are exceptions but they are exceptions, not the rule.

It would be interesting to do an analysis of some top ten finishers in the Giro and see where they finished in the TDF in years they did not ride the Giro.

Old 01-16-05, 05:21 PM
brent_dube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaco
How do you figure?
Another fact is the pace of the race.
In comparison to the Giro, the Tour is much more flat out, every hour, every stage. The cumulative effect of all that riding makes a big difference.

Even without analyzing riders performances and the actual shape of the race, it would be easy to assume that the Tour competition level is much higher, knowing how much bigger of an event (in viewing, sponsorship, etc...).

I don't think any rider that knew they could podium in the Tour would commit to the Giro.
Old 01-16-05, 07:06 PM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Don and Brent on all counts. That isn't to say, however, that Basso will definitely beat Cunego.

But we will see.
Old 01-16-05, 08:43 PM
MacMan
Sick ... again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Peron and I think Cunego would too based on his comment after the Giro that he didn't know if he was "ready" to ride Le Tour in 2005 - an implicit admission that it is raced at another level. Which is to take nothing away from winning the Giro - something we only do in our dreams!
Old 01-16-05, 10:38 PM
ed073

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moreno Argentin said "The Giro is kindergarten compared to the university that is the Tour de France."

He'd know.
Old 01-16-05, 10:56 PM
geneman
rider of small bicycles

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So it was almost bad for Cunego that he won it. Meaning that he'll be expected to show up at the Giro every year to compete and win. The effort required will essentially make it more difficult for him to place well in the TdF. Catch 22

-mark
Old 01-16-05, 11:03 PM
don d.

Italians would love to see an Italian win the TDF. They grit their collective teeth in anger at their consistent poor showing in the race. That is why so much was made of Pantani.

But...Cunego has a long way to go before he wins in Paris. I would not bet on him to finish in the top ten in his first, but who knows.

Old 01-17-05, 09:07 AM
brent_dube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geneman
So it was almost bad for Cunego that he won it. Meaning that he'll be expected to show up at the Giro every year to compete and win. The effort required will essentially make it more difficult for him to place well in the TdF. Catch 22

-mark
Especially from being on an Italian team.
Like how Simoni was expected to show up and win.
I can't see an Italian on an Italian team winning the TDF in a long time, because of this. I guess it's understandable for the team (their sponsors), seeing how popular the Giro is in Italy.
Old 01-17-05, 04:23 PM
Gustaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peron has a point - Serguei Gonchar finished second this year at the Giro
Old 01-17-05, 04:25 PM
ed073

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gustaf
Peron has a point - Serguei Gonchar finished second this year at the Giro

He probably did the whole race on a 55-ring!