Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Maiden commute for my new (old) Raleigh Roadster

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 12:38 PM
BlueShoe

Bikes: 2012 Bella Ciao Neorealista Veloce, 1970 Raleigh Lady Tourist DL-1, & 1983 Lotus Unique

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday—an achingly beautiful fall day in Nashville—was the maiden voyage commute for my new-to-me bike. It's a Raleigh DL-1 Tourist that I've been restoring, with the capable help of Halycon Bike Shop (a big thanks to Chase at Halycon for taking such pains with it). The back wheel is new--and complete with a coaster brake that will give me emergency backup for the somewhat dicey rod brake system (the rods work well in dry conditions, but when it rains, I understand that one might be looking for the nearest non-thorny bush to ride into as a way to stop). The tires are from Vredestein and set off the black frame and fenders quite nicely. Brooks saddle is new as well.

My commute is only four miles each way, but goodness, the old heavy girl (she tips the scales at 39 pounds) ate up the miles like she loved them. The ride is so plush and creamy, it was an experience of sheer delight. What a wonderful machine.

The refurbishing is not complete—I'm waiting on a custom rack that is being built by Jon of Red Barn Classic Bike Accessories and a set of roll-up panniers from Brooks, along with new leather grips, but all that will arrive in good time. Meanwhile, I'm tickled. Just tickled at the way this old bike performs. In fact, I was so pleased that after I got home, I took her out for 5 more miles. I think that is one test for a successful commuter: it makes the ride to work and back so much fun and so easy, you want to keep going.

On the way home, I stopped at the fountains in Bicentennial Mall near the Farmers' Market for a photo portrait. Here's how the stately lady looks in the waning sunlight:

Old 10-16-12, 12:43 PM
nevermore1701

Bikes: giant

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is a sweet ride awesome
Old 10-16-12, 04:44 PM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a very good looking bike!
Old 10-16-12, 05:21 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Nice!
Old 10-16-12, 06:34 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very elegant ride, that!

-G