Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

short commute is not too motivating

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-12, 11:23 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

After about 10 weeks of a mere 4 mile one way commute I have lost a lot of the motivation that i had with 12 miles one way. I really noticed the past few days that my fitness has taken a massive dive (also less time to ride on weekends) and some weight is creeping back on.

I just mapped a 10 mile route and I'll try to keep at it, and pretend that its the only way in i guess (and cut out the snacks).

Anyone else need to change your route to make the ride more challenging, longer etc?
Old 11-13-12, 11:40 PM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, that's what you gotta do, even if that means looking for a route that you can take a couple laps or if it's out and back, you may just have to stretch it a little further and double back.

You might even want to push threshold a couple days out of the week to increase the intensity. Or add a SSFG to your stable.
Old 11-14-12, 12:00 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's amazing how quickly conditioning takes a nosedive. I'm just back on the bike after almost a month off on doc's orders (biopsy and stitches in the "saddle area" - don't think there's enough gel-comfort-foam in the world to have made that doable) and after my first ride, I could NOT hoist the bicycle + panniers over my shoulder and carry it back up to my apartment, when a month before it was almost effortless. My legs just couldn't do it. Now, half a week later I can. At least it's coming back quick.
Old 11-14-12, 12:15 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My most direct route is also about 4 miles, which is why I have probably a dozen alternate routes which can add 2 to 30 miles.
Old 11-14-12, 08:28 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I had a shortish commute like that this past year. To compensate, I made a point of taking long rides on the weekends, which I find easier to do and more pleasant than add time to my commute - I hate getting up earlier than I absolutely have to, and after work, I'm more interested in getting to that first beer than spending extra time tooling around in rush hour traffic.
Old 11-14-12, 09:00 AM
Jimbo47

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe riding that distance in your smallest cog up front and spinning your way to work and back, and as mentioned longer rides on the days off.
Old 11-14-12, 09:11 AM
Forrest74

Bikes: Vaya 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like getting to the office early, so I take the 10 km (6.5 mile) route in the morning. On the way home however, I have time to enjoy the ride, so I take the 16 km (10 mile) route.

My shortest route is 8 km (5 mile), but it requires a fast and narrow road which I do not like riding on.
Old 11-14-12, 09:30 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My most direct route is 4km (~10min) but I generally take a circular route that is 16km (40-45min) because I want to improve my fitness and when I want to do a longer ride, I have a 27km route with an 8% grade in it (I can't remember how long it takes, I've only done it a couple of times).

In the summer, I have the interest to do fitness rides (my favourite is 60km) as well as ride out to the cottage (32km 2-lane highway, 26km dirt road, both with hills) and some rides around cottage country (20-32km, speed dependent on whether I spot a bear in front or behind me).

Me too, my fitness will drop through the winter months as I bike commute less frequently and shorter distances but I figure that it is better than taking the car/bus every day.

My father had a heart attack at the age of 54, I'm 52 and I want to pass 54 without a heart attack and continue. Our diets are both good, neither of us are smokers or significant drinkers (although, you know, the staff Christmas party is this Friday and I can't be held responsible for the fun I'll have).
Old 11-14-12, 11:15 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My motivation is to get to work. I don't much like driving it either. 4 miles is farther than I would happily walk twice a day.

I do mix up my routes, especially on my way home.
Old 11-14-12, 11:20 AM
Paul Ebert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I truly look forward to the day when I have this problem!
Old 11-14-12, 11:20 AM
maidenfan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by silmarillion
Yeah, that's what you gotta do, even if that means looking for a route that you can take a couple laps or if it's out and back, you may just have to stretch it a little further and double back.

You might even want to push threshold a couple days out of the week to increase the intensity. Or add a SSFG to your stable.
My "direct commute" is also short at 15 miles round trip. I added a fixed gear bike for other reasons, but found the ride was much more challenging, especially towards the end of the week when my legs were tired.
Old 11-14-12, 11:26 AM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 2 mile commute (shortest way), but have always extended it to at least 6 miles, and usually 10 plus. 2 miles is not even enough to warm up. It is nice to know that I have a shorter bail-out ride when weather gets nasty.

-G
Old 11-14-12, 11:41 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
My most direct route is also about 4 miles, which is why I have probably a dozen alternate routes which can add 2 to 30 miles.
I do the direct route in to work, which is about 4.3 miles. On the way home, I rarely go less than a 9 mile route. It's hard to get much more than about 14 though, without really going out of my way.
Old 11-14-12, 12:45 PM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chefissac gave me a challenge to ride 420 miles this month. I'm gonna need to add some miles to my commute because I am not riding as far as I used to during summer, darn kids and getting dropped off at school. Looks like I'll need to add a few miles to each side of the trip for the remainder of the month. I'm only at 133 miles so far and have an average of 15 miles RT. Need to add 10 RT miles to make my goal.

My point...set yourself a mileage goal and ride to that goal so it is not arbitrary riding and you can keep the fitness and motivation up.
Old 11-14-12, 01:03 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
My commuter is a SS and I used to have rack/fenders/panniers loaded and still busted great averages on my 12 mile commute. I rarely freewheel and I've commuted many times on a FG I built up and I just don't feel much difference other than the slowing down or down steeper hills part...

I'm used to spinning higher cadences and previously considered changing to a more challenging gear ratio than 70gi.

I noticed recently how hard the bike was to pedal up some normal hills, like it was rubbing on the brake... uh no, just weak legs! Guess I'll keep it at 70gi for a while longer.

So today I did the route but missed a turn so I turned 10 into 15, but boy did it feel GOOD! Not nearly as strong but after about mile 6 I just felt "right", enjoying the sunrise and brisk air again.

Today I'll scout the route home and its slightly uphill all the way back so that's a plus. I really hope fitness returns quickly (as I've heard) since I was in the zone for a good couple years.
Old 11-14-12, 03:02 PM
groovestew

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by thenomad
Anyone else need to change your route to make the ride more challenging, longer etc?
I wish I had the option to do the opposite. My route is close to 10 miles minimum, and these days with crappy snow-covered roads, I would welcome a shorter commute. I might be more motivated to cycle all winter if I only had to ride half the distance.

This past summer, I did lengthen my route by about 1 km (.6 miles) for a while so that I could get an extra hill in (I was training for some long distance mountain rides). And on days when I worked from home, I would do a 12 mile "commute" in the morning before starting.
Old 11-14-12, 06:16 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The beauty of a short commute is that you can make it any length you want depending on conditions, schedule and how you feel. I also have the benefit of an odd schedule. I don't start until just after lunchtime, and come home well after rush hour.

My most direct route is 4.3 miles, but it's a terrible route--nearly all four- and six-lanes with granite curbs, no shoulder, and bonus on-street parking in some places. But, they plow and salt the bejesus out of it in the winter, so I use it a lot then.

My typical short route is 4.6 miles, mainly of residential side streets. I use it in standard time coming home and inclement weather going to work.

Whenever possible, I use my long loop (16½ miles) or my hills, parks, cemetery and trails route (9¼ miles) or variations of those. In daylight savings time, I can use them coming home too.

Last edited by tsl; 11-14-12 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-14-12, 06:28 PM
ChrisM2097

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 10.3 mile ride to work is pretty much the shortest, flattest (only ~150' elevation gain) route I can take, and I prefer that, since I'm already leaving my house at 6am, and I'm not a morning person, and there are no showers at work.

My route home, on the other hand, sometimes looks like this or this.
Old 11-14-12, 06:34 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Sell your car. That'll motivate you!
Old 11-14-12, 07:16 PM
buelito
train safe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the obvious solution--move further away from work!

train safe
Old 11-14-12, 07:43 PM
Ns1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a 3 mile commute and I keep it interesting by making everyday a time trial.

after my first ride, I could NOT hoist the bicycle + panniers over my shoulder and carry it back up to my apartment, when a month before it was almost effortless.
good to know I'm not alone! 3 flights of stairs + 60 pounds of bike and gear.
Old 11-14-12, 08:55 PM
groovestew

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Sell your car. That'll motivate you!
If I don't cycle to work I take the bus. So, no, selling the car wouldn't motivate me.
Old 11-14-12, 10:15 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Ns1
I got a 3 mile commute and I keep it interesting by making everyday a time trial.
This is what I do. I am still new to it, but I make my 2+ mile one way commute a race against my own clock.
Old 11-14-12, 10:29 PM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I have the perfect commute. 13 miles each way; first 3 miles in residential school zone areas so everyone is driving slow, 20mph; next 6 miles along a 2 lane feeder road with a wide shoulder, then 4 miles of residential school zone areas. I time trail the feeder road but just enjoy the school zone areas.
Old 11-14-12, 10:39 PM
bikeinreview

Bikes: Custom single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maidenfan
My "direct commute" is also short at 15 miles round trip. I added a fixed gear bike for other reasons, but found the ride was much more challenging, especially towards the end of the week when my legs were tired.
I have a 9 mile (round trip) commute and ride a single speed bike. I find this very enjoyable and I've never felt like the commute is too short. I think that riding the single speed completely shifts your thinking while on the bike. You don't focus on gearing and instead I look at every uphill and downhill as a new challenge of how fast can I go up/down them. Some days are easier to go fast up the hills and some are not so easy...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.