Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you say anything to drivers texting/ using cell phone?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 08:29 AM
blackvans1234

Bikes: '13 Specialized Secteur Compact

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you say anything to drivers that are using their phone while driving?
(you know, you pull up next to them, look over and they're busy texting or chatting it up)
Old 07-14-13, 08:31 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
That's a great way to get punched in the mouth. And kinda deserve it.
Old 07-14-13, 08:33 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Roll by and shake my head. Hard to get punched in the mouth through a car window.

It is a $150 fine here just to hold a cell phone.
Old 07-14-13, 08:35 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Only if they narrowly miss hitting me with their car due to such actions, and if I happen to catch up with them without much effort.

Last edited by dynodonn; 07-14-13 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-14-13, 09:11 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
That's a great way to get punched in the mouth. And kinda deserve it.
I agree. The yapping motorist deserves to get punched in the mouth by a family member of one of the many daughters, sons, fathers, or mothers killed by this kind of illegal and narcissistic behavior.

When I see a motorist talking on their phone I hold an imaginary phone to my head and make strange exaggerated faces.
Old 07-14-13, 09:17 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I'll yell at them if their window is open and they are on the phone. That way, their party on the other end of the line knows that someone thinks the person on the phone sucks.

If it really bothered me that much, I'd be running an illegal-in-my-country cell phone jammer.
Old 07-14-13, 09:45 AM
Jimi77
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why bother saying anything? Obviously these people are incredibly self-absorbed and don't care if others are endangered by their actions. The way I see it, you can only do more damage by adding to their distraction or make yourself a target for them. I treat them like I do drunk drivers and steer clear.
Old 07-14-13, 10:38 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
And kinda deserve it.
:facepalm:
Old 07-14-13, 11:41 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimi77
Why bother saying anything? Obviously these people are incredibly self-absorbed and don't care if others are endangered by their actions. The way I see it, you can only do more damage by adding to their distraction or make yourself a target for them. I treat them like I do drunk drivers and steer clear.
I was nearly hit by a passing motorist who was on his cell phone. At the next signal, I caught up to him and shook my head at him in a scolding-schoolmarm manner. He immediately ended his call, rolled down his window and apologized. He was so sincere that I believe he is less likely to repeat his offense.

Perhaps some of the narcissists among us are not beyond redemption.
Old 07-14-13, 12:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Only if it's an issue, and their inattentive driving causes some kind of an immediate problem.

The whole cell phone issue is a bit (only a bit) overblown, mainly because of the numbers. It's just part of the bigger problem of distracted driving. Texting is far worse than speaking on a non-hands free phone, but people do all sorts of things in their cars these days while driving and it's hard to say what's worse, cell phones, reading the newspaper, or some other work paper, putting on makeup, eating or drinking, trying to manage children or pets, tuning radios, and so on.

Also, the place I'm most likely to roll up on a cell phone user is at a red light, and as far as I'm concerned, it's OK to text there as long as they only do it while stopped (many actually do). The irony is that it's far easier to get a cell phone citation while stopped than while actually driving.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-14-13, 12:16 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I might shake my head, but that is it. Because sadly, the police don't go looking for cell phone violators.
Old 07-14-13, 02:32 PM
blackvans1234

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
I might shake my head, but that is it. Because sadly, the police don't go looking for cell phone violators.

The NYS Police are pushing towards targetting such drivers, giving 5 points I believe?

https://www.facebook.com/nyspolice?fref=ts
Old 07-14-13, 02:34 PM
blackvans1234

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
P. 2

https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...HCbIE.facebook
Old 07-14-13, 03:54 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is an additional problem, regardless of locale. A couple days ago, my friend in Canada IM'ed me from her IPhone while driving. I told her to stop the car, before she killed herself. While she didn't get killed, she is a perfect example of the belligerent ignorance of some motorists' who insist on talking on the phone, texting, or sending an IM while driving. So NY needs to include sending IM in the language of the law. Otherwise, If there is a fatal accident and a motorist kills someone as a result of sending an IM message, they could easily get off, because of instant messaging not being covered in the language of the law.
Old 07-14-13, 04:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

There is an additional problem, regardless of locale. A couple days ago, my friend in Canada IM'ed me from her IPhone while driving. I told her to stop the car, before she killed herself. While she didn't get killed, she is a perfect example of the belligerent ignorance of some motorists' who insist on talking on the phone, texting, or sending an IM while driving. So NY needs to include sending IM in the language of the law. Otherwise, If there is a fatal accident and a motorist kills someone as a result of sending an IM message, they could easily get off, because of instant messaging not being covered in the language of the law.
I don't know the wording of the bill, but can't see how sending an IM is different that texting. As far as sending a text or IM to someone who'se driving, the sender can't be responsible since they have no way of knowing what the receiver is doing at the time. Of course the receiver needs to delay checking the phone until later.

This problem, like so many societal problems will not magically be solved by laws, They may help drive a point home, and establish a framework of liability, but people have to decide to obey the spirit and intent of the law rather than the letter.

Free societies only work if the vast bulk of people voluntarily do the right thing. The alternatives are either anarchy or a police state.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-14-13, 04:07 PM
plustax

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nowadays my rides are generally on country roads with no stoplights or separated bike facilities. I used to, but never did get much beyond nervous laughter.

I will say though that I have had plenty of great conversations with motorists after catching up to them at the next light.
Old 07-14-13, 04:22 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
https://www.opb.org/news/article/npr-...ell-phone-use/

Fine for cell phone use in motorvehicle now tops off at $500 in OR. There is still support for a bill that would increase this to $2000.
Old 07-14-13, 04:22 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Handling your phone at all, I believe, is a violation. Which, of course, is a slight problem, as most people use their phones for navigation these days.
Old 07-14-13, 04:42 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I was nearly hit by a passing motorist who was on his cell phone. At the next signal, I caught up to him and shook my head at him in a scolding-schoolmarm manner. He immediately ended his call, rolled down his window and apologized. He was so sincere that I believe he is less likely to repeat his offense.

Oh would it be so nice if that were true... I've had too many close calls by cell phone yackers and when I have tried to signal that they should hang up, I usually get a single digit response.

I still shake my head at them none the less.
Old 07-14-13, 04:45 PM
genec
genec

At $150 a pop, they do around there... but it doesn't seem to dent the activity. Something like 19,000 tickets were written over a 15 month period here, but drivers persist.
https://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...city-offenses/
Old 07-14-13, 04:49 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by blackvans1234
Do you say anything to drivers that are using their phone while driving?
Phone use in cars is one of the BEST things to ever happen to me riding my bike in the city. All of the gaps in traffic are much larger now. Cars take forever to get rolling at a new green light, lines of cars generally leave a ton of room to the next car, phone users are driving slower and mostly safer. I actually have more room to maneuver in traffic and almost never have to stop for anything. I LOVE phones in cars!

I did add a 300 watt flashing tail light and a 500 watt flashing headlight to grab their attention to my cycling - not a bad idea cell phones or not.

When I am driving a car, it is a little more annoying to be sitting behind three texters when a light goes green fo sho. On a bike I just split past all of them. But lane changes in a car are much easier now. My wife is constantly telling me I am in the wrong lane to make a turn because I have become accustomed to passing fifty cars in the turning lane knowing FOR CERTAIN that every phone user is going to let five car lengths proceed before they budge - I roll right into that gap nearest the head of the line and make my turn with absolutely no harm done to the texter who "let me in".

I started an entire thread (I think in A&S) six months ago with all the details. I am too lazy to dredge it up right now.

Did I say that I LOVE CELL PHONES in cars? My life has changed so much for the better in traffic. So if I said anything it would be a hearty "Thank You!" to all of them.

(Cell phone use on the Interstate does freak me out, but I rarely use the Interstate and never on my bike - so they are good to go kill each other there for my use. They have my blessing)

Last edited by JoeyBike; 07-14-13 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-14-13, 04:50 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Only if it's an issue, and their inattentive driving causes some kind of an immediate problem.

The whole cell phone issue is a bit (only a bit) overblown, mainly because of the numbers. It's just part of the bigger problem of distracted driving. Texting is far worse than speaking on a non-hands free phone, but people do all sorts of things in their cars these days while driving and it's hard to say what's worse, cell phones, reading the newspaper, or some other work paper, putting on makeup, eating or drinking, trying to manage children or pets, tuning radios, and so on.

Also, the place I'm most likely to roll up on a cell phone user is at a red light, and as far as I'm concerned, it's OK to text there as long as they only do it while stopped (many actually do). The irony is that it's far easier to get a cell phone citation while stopped than while actually driving.
In a way I tend to agree...

Red light use doesn't really bother me... but the clowns driving down the road using two hands to text... that HAS got to STOP! And yes, I do see that.
Old 07-14-13, 04:53 PM
Jimi77
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
https://www.opb.org/news/article/npr-...ell-phone-use/

Fine for cell phone use in motorvehicle now tops off at $500 in OR. There is still support for a bill that would increase this to $2000.
That's the problem - light punishments. From what I've seen texting and driving is as bad if not worse than drunk driving, but we don't have the Fed pushing for stricter state laws, we're not taking licenses away, forcing people into driving classes, etc. TBH, I'd rather be on the roads at midnight when the majority of drivers are drunk than during the day when they're texting, applying make-up and doing whatever else they think is more important than driving.
Old 07-14-13, 04:55 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by B. Carfree

I hope that's the case, but I suspect it won't be.

It's said of alcoholics and drug addicts that they have to hit bottom before they begin a serious recovery. I doubt that a close call is bottom enough for most cell phoners. It'll probably take a serious accident with injury or death or a few nights in jail for people to have sunk low enough to change.

Sorry for the pessimism, but that's how I see it.

BTW- New Jersey is considering another approach. It's proposed that police investigating accidents get the right to take cell phones and read out the activity log. This will show whether they were in use at the time of the accident.

Of course it there are two people in the car they can always claim the passenger was on the phone.

This points to a possible technical solution. Along with all the other nonsense, they might build in G-meters (needs to be mandatory) which would record the time and activity status at the time of an impact. Along with legislation raising ones deductable and/or imposing a serious fine or suspension of license if on the cell when crashing, this could shift the burden where it belongs.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-14-13 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-14-13, 05:01 PM
cuzzinit

Bikes: motorized cruiser,& Mtn bike & Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saying something to someone texting and driving is much like talking thru a wall. They won't get it....
Punchin them in the face won't help either, they will text about that too. And maybe you'll get shot and "kinda deserve it"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.